Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Crism View Post
September CA class (earlier due to attrition), October 11th FO class (pushed later due to earlier CA class req'd)
Allllllllright!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
That's true, and is the case for many of the people moving on from Cape Air at the moment. That said, fractional/charter/corporate gigs should be well within a 9K pilot's grasp, even without previous turbine experience. The multi PIC is great for checking boxes for insurance.

And if you really want the turbine time, there's always the ATR...
I couldn't agree more. Many very good jobs to be had after a stint at 9k.

I think that knowing the right people is ten times as important as your flight time (especially once you meet mins) and there are lots of current cape guys who will soon be former cape guys who will be able to "hook a brother up" at their next gig. I don't get a whiff at this gig without an old friend. (Who also wouldn't have gotten on without a squadron mate.)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Right Seat, PIC

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
I couldn't agree more. Many very good jobs to be had after a stint at 9k.

I think that knowing the right people is ten times as important as your flight time (especially once you meet mins) and there are lots of current cape guys who will soon be former cape guys who will be able to "hook a brother up" at their next gig. I don't get a whiff at this gig without an old friend. (Who also wouldn't have gotten on without a squadron mate.)

Thanks for the info NightIP and robthree. I figured all that single-pilot IFR time had to look good on the resume, even if it is "just piston" (I hate that term.. most of these older piston twins take a lot more thought/care/effort than most anything I've flown!)

Right now I'm 17 hours shy of meeting ATP mins (lacking night and instrument time) and I'm not currently flying. My thought was to get myself current again and knock out that last bit of night/instrument while I'm at it to get myself up to ATP mins. But would it be worth it, or even necessary, to go ahead and get my ATP? A little strapped for cash, I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Does Cape hire people at mins and then give them their ATP checkride? Or would I have to go the FO route?

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by VAviator View Post
Thanks for the info NightIP and robthree. I figured all that single-pilot IFR time had to look good on the resume, even if it is "just piston" (I hate that term.. most of these older piston twins take a lot more thought/care/effort than most anything I've flown!)

Right now I'm 17 hours shy of meeting ATP mins (lacking night and instrument time) and I'm not currently flying. My thought was to get myself current again and knock out that last bit of night/instrument while I'm at it to get myself up to ATP mins. But would it be worth it, or even necessary, to go ahead and get my ATP? A little strapped for cash, I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Does Cape hire people at mins and then give them their ATP checkride? Or would I have to go the FO route?

Thanks again!
Hi,
I was hired at cape air back in Dec with 1491 hrs (obv no ATP). Lots of multi turbine, some genuine TPIC and someone walked in my app. I was amazed to get the call for the interview let alone get the job! Since then have been in the pool, diligently waiting. So I guess it's not all about the time, although getting that ATP will show a lot of will to get the job and might just bump you above the rest of the crowd.
Good Luck to you.
Stringer
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Are there people that commute during the 4/4 schedule? Is commuting even possible with Cape Air?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

VA, based on recent history an ATP is not a prerequisite for a 9k job. I think that having a current written and all the times for the ride would check that box off for you. There is no difference in the training, and the only difference on the checkride is you shut down and restart an engine.

ESA, there are commuters who work at Cape. There have been 4/5 or 3/4 schedules in upstate NY and the MidAtlantic recently. Historically, upstate has been a junior area.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

How senior is LNS? Is it true that most new hires end up in the Caribbean or STL?

I have a million other questions as you might be picking up on.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

3/4 sounds vonderful!

-mini
Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

The 10 most junior pilots on the winter bid will be based in(from junior to senior) STT, AXA, EIS, UIN, VQS, STT, STX, STT, HGR, and HGR.

The junior line in LNS went to a guy with almost two years.

I'd guess in summer the junior captain will be based in PVC, ACK, MVY, or LEB.

There is a new base bidding system in place. It was just used for the first time. Its full effect on future movement is hard to predict, but it was designed to protect outstation pilots from being displaced.

So, could you hold LNS as a new hire? Not this winter. But maybe next summer.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Right Seat, PIC

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
VA, based on recent history an ATP is not a prerequisite for a 9k job. I think that having a current written and all the times for the ride would check that box off for you. There is no difference in the training, and the only difference on the checkride is you shut down and restart an engine.
Thanks for the post robthree. I'm planning on taking my ATP written while I'm filling up the logbook with the last of my ATP mins. Just gotta get myself mentally prepared for having to pay for flying again

Except for a very small amount of 135, all my flying has been 91 to this point. How does a checkride work in this case? Could a PIC checkride with the company double as an ATP checkride? (I think that's what you were referring to when you mentioned an engine restart, but not sure.)

Thanks again!