Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Working at Delta Private Jets

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Originally Posted by BayBum4Ever View Post
After my last airline shut down in 2008 I thought I would try the 135 world. It is an absolute disaster and after your airline experience you will be quickly disillusioned and hating life. I felt every day that my license was on the line and I had no back-up. SIC pay was $36,000 per year when I left plus a revolving 4 year training contract.

Good Luck
The four year training contract should be immediately voided in any US Court. Any non-compete or training contract is on thin legal ice if it's longer than one year, having one that is four years old going in would be seen as abusive and equal to indentured service, not something that US Courts look fondly upon. Any attempt to enforce one that long would bring any states department of labor in to fine the employer, not to mention the opportunity to recover punitive damages...at a later date.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

The training contract is accompanied by a promissory note. The note states that DPJ is fronting the money to the employee. They are ruthless and will come after you. It is a dirt ball company that should be avoided by all.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I don't understand how you can impose a contract, longer than the validity of the training. That is like buying a car, knowing it will disintegrate in 5 years, with a 10 year loan. For SIC, a 1 year contract is more than sufficient seeing as they will have to go back to training a year from then anyway.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I don't understand how you can impose a contract, longer than the validity of the training. That is like buying a car, knowing it will disintegrate in 5 years, with a 10 year loan. For SIC, a 1 year contract is more than sufficient seeing as they will have to go back to training a year from then anyway.
Excellent point. The other poster may also be correct in his assessment of the ability to seek punitive damages. The who problem here is that they will ding your credit pretty badly while this is all going on. Most aviation employers now days are doing credit checks. You would want to avoid bad credit if possible as it effects your ability to compete in the market. Either do the 4 years, change the rule from the inside once you get there, or don't go there. Two of the three seem like possibilities to me
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I don't understand how it will affect your credit, the only way is if a judgement is placed on you, this would involve going to court over it. The beauty of contracts, is even if they are signed and agreed upon, a company isn't able to enforce unfair terms. There is enough industry precedent floating around to show that a 4 year training contract for somebody already typed is pure insanity.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

I'd be careful and consult an attorney on this one. There were several ex Singapore pilots that tried to fight their contracts based on the same language. The courts sided with the company. Yes, it was a US court. Sorry, I don't have a citation handy.

My ex employer was extremely successful in upholding their promissory notes. PRIA really helps because they know exactly where you went. Nothing like getting called out of new hire ground school to take the call.

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I don't understand how it will affect your credit, the only way is if a judgement is placed on you, this would involve going to court over it. The beauty of contracts, is even if they are signed and agreed upon, a company isn't able to enforce unfair terms. There is enough industry precedent floating around to show that a 4 year training contract for somebody already typed is pure insanity.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: I will be in the right bunk.

The scum balls at DPJ will come after you and they are happy to destroy your credit rating. I was at DPJ. One guy who quit had a sheriff show up at his door with a summons. I had my lawyer look at the contract and I was told that if you sign it you are liable. You have been warned, that is all I can do.

RUN FOREST RUN
Old 06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 7ERB

I had someone telling me yesterday that you are given a DAL senority number when hired and have a "bridge" program to be hired. Also better Nonrev bennies then DCI carriers. Any truth to this?

I have several years of 121 experience, TPIC, two type ratings and two SIC(worthless) types, and now am doing 91/135. I was seriously considering applying until reading this thread. Sounds like you guys are adamant to avoid it. Where do you guys consider to be. Half decent place of employment?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

No! You are not given a DL seniority number. DPJ is under the delta global services umbrella. Ya know, the ramp personnel at DL out stations. There is no bridge program to the big D. DPJ has no connection to DL. To answer your question, no it is not a descent place to work. 40k in the right seat and 60k in the left. No raises, no vacation and no sick time to fly old tired managed planes. One of the light jet Citations does not have air conditioning installed. So the rocket scientists at DPJ installed a 'swamp cooler' next to the lav in an outlet. That is the mentality you deal with every day. STAY AWAY!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: B-737

There is NO flow or interview preference given! They talked about a flow to endeavor.... Which in most cases would be 10 steps backwards for most guys there. The place is a joke. You will hate it, and wish you could get out as soon as possible. It was literally the worst 2 years of my life!