Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Well, my BV-107 type isn't doing me any good, but it looks nice on a resume. Most employers probably don't have a clue what it is!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

Ah, a Phrog.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

There was a place hiring Phrog pilots for AFG. Forget the name of the place.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

The sim they use is a non-motion sim. You will also fly the real airplane. I seriously doubt training for a type is 2-3 weeks longer..sounds more than a little fishy to me. You will use the Civilian manual for systems..since ALL of the airplanes here are civilian registered 300/350's. The way you operate the airplane is not too much different than the civies do it. There is no way in hell I would sign a 2 year TA for King Air type...no way.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

That does seem a bit much. I heard the TA was 180 deployable days.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
That does seem a bit much. I heard the TA was 180 deployable days.
Yup...as long as you are not being typed.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Originally Posted by Junglejett View Post
The sim they use is a non-motion sim. You will also fly the real airplane. I seriously doubt training for a type is 2-3 weeks longer..sounds more than a little fishy to me. You will use the Civilian manual for systems..since ALL of the airplanes here are civilian registered 300/350's. The way you operate the airplane is not too much different than the civies do it. There is no way in hell I would sign a 2 year TA for King Air type...no way.
Depends on your future employment plans and why you wanted to take the job in the first place. If it's just to make a quick buck and set yourself up for something better in the near tern, completely understandable that you would not want to make a two year commitment.

But if you're there to help out the troops on the ground and prevent some of the deaths and injuries from IED's or ambushes, then a two year commitment might not that big a deal.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do this kind of job, in this kind of place.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by F224 View Post
Depends on your future employment plans and why you wanted to take the job in the first place. If it's just to make a quick buck and set yourself up for something better in the near tern, completely understandable that you would not want to make a two year commitment.

But if you're there to help out the troops on the ground and prevent some of the deaths and injuries from IED's or ambushes, then a two year commitment might not that big a deal.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do this kind of job, in this kind of place.
My understanding is that it is a very one-sided commitment. The one year commitment requires that you give them at least 180 days deployed in one year without requiring them to deploy you at all. They could not have enough work for you and you're still on the hook until the end of your commitment. They will not tell you how much you're on the hook for either. Other training agreements generally have a set amount and let you off the hook if you're not actually working (furloughed).
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Sounds like management talk right there. People here are more than dedicated to the mission and there is little doubt we are.

Most companies that I have seen that require a TA are ones that have a high attrition rate for one reason or another..and 75% of the time, its not for good reasons.

Originally Posted by F224 View Post

Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2013

TAs do not indicate commitment/support to the troops. TAs are for the companies to retain folks and to recoup training costs. A TA is usually indicative of high attrition rates, as JJ posted.