Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #211  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

I'm waiting to see what the offer for SIC is.

Apparently there is a DCMA requirement for x hours Turboprop PIC to fly this gig as PIC, and I don't meet it. If you counted Jet and Helo time I'd be well over the cutoff.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #212  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

You can deploy with an interim TS. I did.

Also, depending on what contract you will be filling, you may not need a TS.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #213  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

For those considering Avenge. Remember, there is a 1 year training agreement you will have to sign...and you do NOT get a type rating. If you want a type (King Air only), you will be signing a two year agreement.

The TA also includes a paragraph that says you waive all your legal rights to challenge the TA in court. I do not have exact verbiage in front of me but the TA has been a sticking point..or tipping point for many.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #214  
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2011

I was told the training contracts are not prorated either.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #215  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: TACAMO

An extra year for a type rating? Does the training differ, or do they just add on a type ride in their sim check? What is to stop someone from taking their logbook to a DPE or FSDO and getting the type put on their license?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #216  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Does that work for PIC type ratings outside of the military; meaning, received training in the military and then was allowed to get a type rating based on that training and evaluation.
I had to get a specially qualified DPE to administer a DC-A4 type ride even though I had trained on the same airplane in the military.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #217  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: TACAMO

Maybe not.
I need to go back and read the FAR, but I thought that any check ride acting as PIC you could get added on to your license. The military comp thing pretty much stops at commercial and CFI, I thought.
Another volleyball dad I know here in OKC is an examiner with the OKC FSDO. I will ask the next time I see him. They have a strict interpretation of the rules here.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #218  
Gets Weekends Off

It was explained to me that the type was another 2-3 weeks of training.

As described to me, the company training is per the Army's Dash-1 in regards to operations, procedures, EPs, etc. The type rating is taught to the civilian POH. I asked the "why a year for type" question.

Granted I think it SHOULD be like where a C-12 NATOPS check as PIC can get you the appropriate King Air type rating (I flew T-44s, so no type) but where this is a contractor operating state owned aircraft vice military pilots flying military aircraft, I'm not sure how that would work.

I can't say if it's BS or not, just relaying what the answer was when I asked.

The only advantage I could think of is doing the type ride could also be used as an ATP ride, where adding a type from a NATOPS/Dash-1 PIC check doesn't get you an ATP.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #219  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

A couple things:

The C-12 time can't translate to a type because the airplane weighed 12,500 lbs. When the BE-300/350 came along they were over 13,000 and hence the type rating.

I got my ATP at an ATP school, but I got my DC-9 type rating with my NATOPS jacket and logbooks at the FSDO. Same with my CV-580 and BV-107 types. When I upgraded on the MD-80, the FAA had done away with Commercial type ratings so all mine were automatically upgraded to ATP types.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #220  
Gets Weekends Off

I know guys who have a type from the TC-12. Not sure if it got heavier in it's later versions. I'll have to ask what version it is considered as. I do know it's over 12,500 MGTOW now.

I've had NATOPS HAC/CAPC/POC checks in 3 aircraft that would have a type if they were civ birds but never bothered as they didn't equate to anything in the real world (T-45, SH-60B, E-2C)