Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

Yes. Avenge. $460 for PIC.

About $320/day for SIC, but I didn't do all the math when they offered PIC. It's right around 2/3 the pay. Hourly rate is $24 vice $36. Per diem is the same.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
Thanks for the info.

For a guy in your situation, it may just mean sucking it up for a year to get current. I hate the training bond thing, though. That is a deal breaker for me. I would rather just work a pedestrian job.
Yeah, but you have a lot more Turbine PIC than me, due to longer career, and not wasting 1/2 of it (from an airline standpoint) flying helos.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

After being told to expect to start in the Jan 6th class and then hearing from HR to standby on Jan 2th I got this email today from Avenge;

"...At present, we believe it is impractical to pursue any candidate that does not have an active security clearance in place. We have raised this factor from preferred to required. The long time lag, related expenses and lack of predictability of future staffing levels makes pursuing uncleared candidate problematic as a sound business practice at this time."...

My friend and top line reference is the #2 guy in the US House Republican caucus and the head of the appropriation's committee. That Congressman assured me that my TSSC would be turned around in record time if I was hired by any of the ISR contractors.

There are now truck drivers in the 'stan getting paid more than pilots.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

They are expensive. Mine only took 4 months but I had an active Secret which may have helped things.

And yes, there are truck drivers making more than pilots. They also assume a much greater risk.

Originally Posted by F224 View Post
After being told to expect to start in the Jan 6th class and then hearing from HR to standby on Jan 2th I got this email today from Avenge;

"...At present, we believe it is impractical to pursue any candidate that does not have an active security clearance in place. We have raised this factor from preferred to required. The long time lag, related expenses and lack of predictability of future staffing levels makes pursuing uncleared candidate problematic as a sound business practice at this time."...

My friend and top line reference is the #2 guy in the US House Republican caucus and the head of the appropriation's committee. That Congressman assured me that my TSSC would be turned around in record time if I was hired by any of the ISR contractors.

There are now truck drivers in the 'stan getting paid more than pilots.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Anyone have info on L-3 Lear positions?

QOL, Pay, Time on the road?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Hobbit64 View Post
Anyone have info on L-3 Lear positions?

QOL, Pay, Time on the road?

Thanks
If you are talking about the Lears that fly the defense contract work (red air type stuff), I looked into it at one time and also knew a former squadronmate who was flying for L3.
When I retired they were advertising a position in san Diego and I was moving temporarily to San Diego. A squadromate had called prior to gather some information. they were offering inhouse training for the SIC and $36,000/yr. You can imagine what that gets you in San Diego!
Number of hours varied on the missions and scheduling. I ended up geting another contract job with a company flying tactical aircraft - so it was the same type of work and I flew alongside L3 Lears and Phoenix Air (whom L3 subcontracted too I believe) quite often. QOl was living in Marriott/Hilton hotels for days or weeks at a time supporting whatever mislitary training was going on at the time. One or two flights a day.
I was a 14 day minimum contract guy a month. Sometimes I got used 3 days, other times I volunteered more and spent most of the month on the road. My compnay was hourly pay with a year end guarantee minimum amount - so you could make much more obviously if you were willing to be gone. I'd imagine that L3 Lears are much the same way.

If you find out more - please share with the forum.
Btw - for that pay they also wanted some fairly specific skill sets that would have excluded most civilian trained pilots. Personally I thought for the pay they were asking for quite the higly qualified aviator. I don't know if times have changed with the new hiring activity going on in the airline world. This was all 2009/2010 timeframe when furloughs were the word of the day instead of hiring.

There are some other threads referencing similar positions:
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hi...t-news-va.html
Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I know I didn't even come close to making the cut for red air flying, I can't honestly see a civilian only guy having the non hours quals they want.

ISR, as long as they have a clearance I'm not seeing anything that prevents civil only pilots and I think there are a few but I'm not sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by E2CMaster View Post
I know I didn't even come close to making the cut for red air flying, I can't honestly see a civilian only guy having the non hours quals they want.

ISR, as long as they have a clearance I'm not seeing anything that prevents civil only pilots and I think there are a few but I'm not sure.
Are you saying that they're looking for folks with Air to Air experience in the lears?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

They were when I applied.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by E2CMaster View Post
Yes. Avenge. $460 for PIC.

About $320/day for SIC, but I didn't do all the math when they offered PIC. It's right around 2/3 the pay. Hourly rate is $24 vice $36. Per diem is the same.
Talk about pay cuts.