Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to get more info on MAG.. I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in recent pages, but they're not familiar to me. In the past, I've looked into Dynamic, Avenge, DynCorp, AAR, and gotten a little bit of info on Berry (waaaaay outta my league!). Dynamic is a fallback I had been considering, but it sounds like MAG is a better deal from what I've seen.
I know a few MAG pilots, one is a longtime friend and others were great colleagues from one of my many past lives. Everyone seems happy there with the program. Biggest difference between them and us, is we have more gym and dining options and live 4 to a room vice 5. They have been in the business for a while, but have grown by wrestling Army contracts away from Avenge and other smaller players. Avenge seems to be dying on the vine, CACI did not last long, and Dynamic is plugging along. Not sure what is going on with the Dash 8 pax hauling flip flopping between AAR and Berry.

As I recall, AAR was going to be +/- 135K / 115K Capt / FO in Asia, 115 / 85 in Africa for the Casa, a little bit more for the Dash 8 in Asia about 18 months ago. Medical and Dental, with 401K matching and profit sharing.

The security clearance process takes a while, so I would start now if you are looking for a new job this summer.

If you have kids, it is really tough leaving them for 9 weeks, but then you have 8 solid weeks at home to travel, explore, go to parks, be there when the go to school and come home, and make every single event, game, performance, and gathering they have.

If your family is worried about the dangers... you are probably more at risk of getting into a serious accident while driving down the freeway back home.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
I know a few MAG pilots, one is a longtime friend and others were great colleagues from one of my many past lives. Everyone seems happy there with the program. Biggest difference between them and us, is we have more gym and dining options and live 4 to a room vice 5. They have been in the business for a while, but have grown by wrestling Army contracts away from Avenge and other smaller players. Avenge seems to be dying on the vine, CACI did not last long, and Dynamic is plugging along. Not sure what is going on with the Dash 8 pax hauling flip flopping between AAR and Berry.

As I recall, AAR was going to be +/- 135K / 115K Capt / FO in Asia, 115 / 85 in Africa for the Casa, a little bit more for the Dash 8 in Asia about 18 months ago. Medical and Dental, with 401K matching and profit sharing.

The security clearance process takes a while, so I would start now if you are looking for a new job this summer.

If you have kids, it is really tough leaving them for 9 weeks, but then you have 8 solid weeks at home to travel, explore, go to parks, be there when the go to school and come home, and make every single event, game, performance, and gathering they have.

If your family is worried about the dangers... you are probably more at risk of getting into a serious accident while driving down the freeway back home.
Not bad on the AAR stuff! I have a friend who just started working for Berry. According to him, AAR is loosing out in Africa.

Thankfully, I don't have kids. It's mostly my parents and siblings. We are very close, and of course they will worry. Hah, I have tried so many times to explain about realistic safety expectations. I'm pretty sure my sister thinks I'm going there to be a Green Beret or something...

Thanks for the info on MAG!! I'm in the middle of a big move (literally, around the world) at the moment so I'm going to sit out this season, but I think once summer rolls around and everything has settled down, I'm going to start getting some applications out!! Goal is that I'll be leaving for training around this time next year!!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Hahaha, thanks.. I was thinking that they'd bring me in as Capt, but without the turbine time, I was going to take the conservative route and go for FO.

LinkedIn, huh? I'm kinda behind the times.. guess I should build up a profile!

I think my biggest hurdle is convincing my family. I'm jumping into a jet jockey job close to home and plan to use the time to secretly convince them that the contracts are not a bad thing (I have plans... covert plans!). I'm thinking I'll try to start getting the ball rolling in about 6 months so that if all goes well, I'll be ready for training just as I finish up any contract at this place. Plus it'll give me a nice bit of turbine time, which definitely can't hurt my resume!!

Looks like I'm going to have to get more info on MAG.. I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in recent pages, but they're not familiar to me. In the past, I've looked into Dynamic, Avenge, DynCorp, AAR, and gotten a little bit of info on Berry (waaaaay outta my league!). Dynamic is a fallback I had been considering, but it sounds like MAG is a better deal from what I've seen.
Things change about every 6-12 months or so but the last time I checked:

For the L-3 SIC program you'll need a Clearance.
For MAG you need turbine time since they don't have a SIC gig (and their GFR doesn't like the idea of granting waivers for folks who don't meet the min contract flight time requirements because sets a precedent to lower the standards).
Dynamic you need turbine time for thier ISR job but they have other gigs as well that you might be able to get into.
L-3 PIC you'll need a turbine time but they could get you a clearance (slim chance but it has happened before).
Avenge SIC intro will get you the clearance and the turbine time.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Well, my plan between now and applying at any of the ISR companies is to work a turbine job.. I've got apps and resumes out, and with the shortage everywhere, I'm expecting good things. I'm hoping for a corporate gig since, with my time, I could easily upgrade in 6 mo or so, meaning that by the time I'd apply, I'd be logging Tpic.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
Things change about every 6-12 months or so but the last time I checked:

For the L-3 SIC program you'll need a Clearance.
For MAG you need turbine time since they don't have a SIC gig (and their GFR doesn't like the idea of granting waivers for folks who don't meet the min contract flight time requirements because sets a precedent to lower the standards).
Dynamic you need turbine time for thier ISR job but they have other gigs as well that you might be able to get into.
L-3 PIC you'll need a turbine time but they could get you a clearance (slim chance but it has happened before).
Avenge SIC intro will get you the clearance and the turbine time.

Looking at the Avenge SIC job posting on their site right now and I am a bit confused. You say with the Avenge SIC program you will get a clearance and turbine time, however they say they require a secret clearance ( not the ability to get one ) and 500 hours of turbine time..

perhaps i am not understanding the job posting correctly..

Would love to jump into the SIC program.. I dont have a secret clearance but used to have a DOD confidential information clearance years ago. My hours are still pretty low, at about 600, but am building them rapidly and would like to get any or all actions started that i can to try and get on board.

Doesn't a company have to sponsor the secret clearance efforts?

Last edited by kcartwright27; 01-14-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by kcartwright27 View Post
Looking at the Avenge SIC job posting on their site right now and I am a bit confused. You say with the Avenge SIC program you will get a clearance and turbine time, however they say they require a secret clearance ( not the ability to get one ) and 500 hours of turbine time..

perhaps i am not understanding the job posting correctly..

Would love to jump into the SIC program.. I dont have a secret clearance but used to have a DOD confidential information clearance years ago. My hours are still pretty low, at about 600, but am building them rapidly and would like to get any or all actions started that i can to try and get on board.

Doesn't a company have to sponsor the secret clearance efforts?
"US Department of Defense Security Clearance Required Prior To Start of ISR Aircraft Training
If selected, an Ab Initio candidate must pass a pilot proficiency examination and attend our new hire orientation. During this time, the new hire will complete human resources documentation. If you do not possess US DoD security clearance of Secret or above, you will submit an application with the Department of Defense to initiate the security background check. The security clearance background investigation generally takes between 120 and 360 days. Once the background check is favorably determined, you are expected to attend our next full In-Processing class."

https://avengeinc.applicantstack.com...l/a28jmfq6o0bq
Old 03-25-2017, 11:10 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I was wondering if anyone knew about the Ab initio SIC program at Avenge?
They are only asking for 500 pic and 250 dual instruction. Does anyone know anyone that was actually hired with these qualifications?

Also, what's the female pilot population with companies like avenge, dynamic, L3? I've been reading through the threads and asking around, it doesn't seem like there is that many.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:26 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Igotyour6 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew about the Ab initio SIC program at Avenge?
They are only asking for 500 pic and 250 dual instruction. Does anyone know anyone that was actually hired with these qualifications?

Also, what's the female pilot population with companies like avenge, dynamic, L3? I've been reading through the threads and asking around, it doesn't seem like there is that many.
In general, the industry is shorthanded. So if those are the posted mins for the position then yes, Avenge would want to talk to you. And yes, people are hired with that level of experience. Just be sure to ask the questions on your end. How long for a security clearance? How long is training? Where is training? Where and how long are you deployed? The answers might surprise you.

Female Pilot Population. Hmmm. Not high. Like less than 5 percent. Not too many people want to do this job, and even less women. Working conditions are good and fair. But not many women.....
Old 03-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

I flew ISR for five years in many sandy and jungle like locations and never saw a single female pilot. There were several female back enders but no pilots.

Don't trust Avenge. I knew guys who went there as SIC just till they got the required time to upgrade. Funny as they came up on that time the requirements changed.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Tu-95 PIC

Some info regarding why clearances are taking so long for those looking to break into the industry:

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2017/...isppac-update/
  • DSS is not fully funded to pay for all of the 2017 investigations needed. They are metering the release of investigations to OPM.
  • Both DSS and OPM are incurring recurring costs to pay for the identity theft protection.
  • As a result, OPM raised the cost of investigations and is hiring 700+ investigators.
  • OPM is still hurting from lack of investigators left over from the USIS contract termination as well as need to investigate more thoroughly and the move to Tiers.
  • Interim Secrets now require a fingerprint check, extending timelines from 3-5 days to 3-6 months.