Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #661  
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Dfs qt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
Just wondering if anyone that has been through the DFS quarantine could PM me a review of their experience.

Grab a few bottles of your thing at the duty-free. The hotel will charge you 300% above duty free prices. Ignore the "no alcohol" warning. They don't search bags.

You can choose meal plans as international (western), indian, and arabic. The meals rotate and all start to taste the same after a few days. You can change your meal choices, but it will take a few days. You can "turn off" a meal, but they still usually bring it. You can order from room service. You can order from out in town. https://www.talabat.com/uae & https://deliveroo.ae/

Standard coffee situation as all hotels over there. Hot water pot and those little tube packets. Bring an aero press if you are serious about your beans. All the normal names for coffee places deliver from a nearby mall.

3 pieces of laundry over other day free of charge.

Bring an HDMI cable unless you like BBC. Netflix works, but you probably want to stock up on shows and have a VPN account. The bandwith is such that your video chats back home will be glitchy. Connection drops frequently.

They have someone "on guard" so you can't leave the room. Bring exercise bands. Yoga mat. TRX.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #662  
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Default tips/tricks/suggestions

Anyone have any tips, and or comments on how to land a ISR gig. I am currently flying Emb 145's and have been throwing the possibility of making a switch to ISR flying when things get back to "normal". I am a former military "non pilot" with clearance (although it'll be expiring soon). I had two buddies who used to work for L3, and another who used to fly for AAR and they seemed to have enjoyed it, but since moved to other jobs.
Thanks to all who reply
Old 10-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #663  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted123 View Post
Anyone have any tips, and or comments on how to land a ISR gig. I am currently flying Emb 145's and have been throwing the possibility of making a switch to ISR flying when things get back to "normal". I am a former military "non pilot" with clearance (although it'll be expiring soon). I had two buddies who used to work for L3, and another who used to fly for AAR and they seemed to have enjoyed it, but since moved to other jobs.
Thanks to all who reply
do you have

an ATP
a King Air 350 type rating?
King Air 200 or 350 time at all ?
TS clearance active or recently expired?
prior Pilot mil ISR time or Customs/Federal LE aviation time?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #664  
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Default tips/tricks/suggestions

I sent ya a PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:55 AM   #665  
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Expectations for former 121 new to ISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted123 View Post

Thanks to all who reply

The other poster alluded to the problem you will face. At the moment the market is flush with King Air 350 typed, 12-month current, ISR mission or military aviation experienced guys with a TS clearance and an ATP. Unless you check all those boxes, there are guys ahead of you in line at each company that do check all the boxes. It looks like you probably have an ATP, but any company would need to send you to an initial type course and spend money to reinvestigate your clearance. You would also be competing against all the furloughed 121 guys that just need a recurrent to get back into ISR. If I was a chief pilot, I would not look at your resume until after I hired all the available current and former King Air people I could find. Then I would hire all the recent former military that just needed a type rating. Then I would get around to your resume. I don't expect that to happen until the airlines start hiring again.

You should apply, just wanted to give you some reasonable expectations. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #666  
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH1Toaster View Post
The other poster alluded to the problem you will face. At the moment the market is flush with King Air 350 typed, 12-month current, ISR mission or military aviation experienced guys with a TS clearance and an ATP. Unless you check all those boxes, there are guys ahead of you in line at each company that do check all the boxes. It looks like you probably have an ATP, but any company would need to send you to an initial type course and spend money to reinvestigate your clearance. You would also be competing against all the furloughed 121 guys that just need a recurrent to get back into ISR. If I was a chief pilot, I would not look at your resume until after I hired all the available current and former King Air people I could find. Then I would hire all the recent former military that just needed a type rating. Then I would get around to your resume. I don't expect that to happen until the airlines start hiring again.

You should apply, just wanted to give you some reasonable expectations. Good luck.
Also, fat people need not apply.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #667  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardBrief View Post
Also, fat people need not apply.
what about under tall pilots?
Old 10-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #668  
Gets Mon-Sun Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZ View Post
Fat is curable. Tall is not.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #669  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZ View Post
Cushions allowed, blocks on pedals not allowed.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #670  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH1Toaster View Post

I also suspect given the old law of supply and demand that they'll see a downward pressure or at least a stagnation of wages as well.