Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Dumont or Talon?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Yep, my bad. ProPilot numbers. Although I did work pretty close to 40 this year. Never again!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: F900 Captain
Default More info?

Anyone else care to share?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
What do you want to know?

Good:
  • You're on the road 80% of the time or more, so you rarely have to deal with management directly.
  • Hotels are Marriott or Hilton properties. There is a dollar limit, but if you are in a high demand area, you never get any flack for getting an expensive hotel if that's all there is. The worst hotel I stayed in was a Holiday Inn Express, because I was in the middle of nowhere.
  • I never got pushed into doing a trip. If an airplane breaks, that's the end of it. You never get asked to limp an illegal airplane home. With that said, you will have to MEL items and fly (legally) under the MEL.

Bad:
  • Schedule. Some guys love a 12/10. I couldn't adjust to it. Sometimes they have to rob a day from you, without your consent, for coverage. You get paid a bonus for this, but frankly, it isn't worth another day on the road, IMO.
  • No seniority or career progression. Some people upgrade fast, some never upgrade. It is kind of all over the place.
  • Pay. This was the main reason I left. When I upgraded, I was lowballed.
  • The airplanes always break. They're really old airplanes with lots of hours on them.

That's pretty much it. As far as 135 goes, it probably isn't the best, but it is far from the worst.
Anyone have info on training contract is two year nonprorated for the Falcon? Dollar amount ? How is over all quality of life now? Legs per day, last minute pop ups..... How do they decide on upgrades and pay? Still hiring for Falcon any chance on Gulfstream ? Thanks for info
Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Anyone have info on training contract is two year nonprorated for the Falcon? Dollar amount ? How is over all quality of life now? Legs per day, last minute pop ups..... How do they decide on upgrades and pay? Still hiring for Falcon any chance on Gulfstream ? Thanks for info
It is two years on the 2000 (which seems crazy to me, but I guess people are doing it). I think the 50 is still just one year. Not sure whether pro-rated for new hires, but my contract for changing equipment was pro-rated. Don't know the number on the 2000, but the 50 contract seemed to be for the actual cost of the training, not inflated, as far as I could tell. I'm still fairly happy, QOL on the road hasn't changed. I've been getting broken airplanes left right and center, so a fair amount of sitting around (which I don't really mind, but some people hate). I flew less than 20 hours last month, but that is definitely an outlier number. New DO has been making good noises about making "career pathing" more transparent, but as of now they're just noises...I guess we'll see. As far as I know they are hiring in to the 50 and the 2000, right seat. I'm not aware of any F/Os on the Gulfstream being hired directly, I believe they've all been internal. Doesn't hurt to ask, though! Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
It is two years on the 2000 (which seems crazy to me, but I guess people are doing it). I think the 50 is still just one year. Not sure whether pro-rated for new hires, but my contract for changing equipment was pro-rated. Don't know the number on the 2000, but the 50 contract seemed to be for the actual cost of the training, not inflated, as far as I could tell. I'm still fairly happy, QOL on the road hasn't changed. I've been getting broken airplanes left right and center, so a fair amount of sitting around (which I don't really mind, but some people hate). I flew less than 20 hours last month, but that is definitely an outlier number. New DO has been making good noises about making "career pathing" more transparent, but as of now they're just noises...I guess we'll see. As far as I know they are hiring in to the 50 and the 2000, right seat. I'm not aware of any F/Os on the Gulfstream being hired directly, I believe they've all been internal. Doesn't hurt to ask, though! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info I applied today prefer the 50 if its only one year contract. Do you get a lot of pop trips back side of clock trips ie been up since 6 am and they give you a trip departing at 11 pm ? Are all fleets home based ? when your on for 12 will are they still extend you without your consent ? Appreciate the info !!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the info I applied today prefer the 50 if its only one year contract. Do you get a lot of pop trips back side of clock trips ie been up since 6 am and they give you a trip departing at 11 pm ? Are all fleets home based ? when your on for 12 will are they still extend you without your consent ? Appreciate the info !!
I have had sales try a couple of times to do a midnight transcon after we'd been up since 8am or whatever. I just said no, never heard anything else about it. I can't promise that's what will happen next time, but it's a fairly rare occurence. As far as I know, only the Hawker and Falcons are home-based. I know to a certainty that the Gulfstream is ILG-only (at least for the time being), and I'm fairly sure they want Lear guys in ILG as well (incidentally, they just advertised for a Lear F/O, and imho it might not be a bad deal if you don't mind living in ILG. I think it's pretty much the director's personal plane at this point.)

I have never been extended without consent, but I know the guy who said above that he had been and he's not one to make things up (unless it involves a pizza delivery). If they attempted to extend me without consent I would buy a plane ticket home and let them figure it out.

Happy to help, good luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
I have had sales try a couple of times to do a midnight transcon after we'd been up since 8am or whatever. I just said no, never heard anything else about it. I can't promise that's what will happen next time, but it's a fairly rare occurence. As far as I know, only the Hawker and Falcons are home-based. I know to a certainty that the Gulfstream is ILG-only (at least for the time being), and I'm fairly sure they want Lear guys in ILG as well (incidentally, they just advertised for a Lear F/O, and imho it might not be a bad deal if you don't mind living in ILG. I think it's pretty much the director's personal plane at this point.)

I have never been extended without consent, but I know the guy who said above that he had been and he's not one to make things up (unless it involves a pizza delivery). If they attempted to extend me without consent I would buy a plane ticket home and let them figure it out.

Happy to help, good luck.
To be fair, I was only extended once against my will, but it was the day after Christmas, after they changed our rotations a week before Thanksgiving. As a bonus, the HF was INOP, so we had to cancel the trip anyways. I did get the opportunity to polish off a bottle of Maker's with our buddy McG, so not a total loss.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Talking

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
I did get the opportunity to polish off a bottle of Maker's with our buddy McG, so not a total loss.
Uhm, that was your Christmas present! And here you are complaining.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Was just called this week, but already too another Falcon50EX job. PM me if you need the # for the recruiter.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by DC2Airmail View Post
Was just called this week, but already too another Falcon50EX job. PM me if you need the # for the recruiter.
...already took another job