Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by MaxMar View Post
How many folks stay past their contract date?
In my base it was about half and half. Lots of frustrated guys leaving early and some sucking it up to do their 12 months then leave.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:59 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Is the company actually enforcing their contract though? From what I understand, they don't prorate it until halfway through. Is management actually enforcing it? Seems like a good company but training contracts are unappealing.

Last edited by BoatyMcBoatface; 11-03-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 11-04-2016, 10:25 AM
On Reserve

Default Contracts

Not sure if people that leave early are paying the contract. I think the rates for the pc12 contract are not unreasonable for the demographic they hire. However, I don't think that means they actually invest that amount into the initial training. Maybe that's irrelevant.

I don't know a single line pilot that is here past their contract date. There's a few in lower management (ACP, recruiter, assistant director of something or other) that might be. That's doesn't mean it's not a great place to spend a year or two, just that it's not the type of gig that attracts lifers.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by AlrightyDEN View Post
I've peeked at the other bases schedules...The DFW and ATL bases are pretty consistent 4/3. PHX and MSP are cush if you're not looking to build hours.
PHX is indeed cush. DEN doesn't look that terrible now either for FOs.

Originally Posted by AlrightyDEN View Post
I have met one or two whinier SICs
I met one in DEN as well, he was fairly new. Threatening to quit and complaining about how "this wasn't what he was expecting", etc. because of the duty days and delays and what not. It sounded more like he wasn't cut out for any form of airline life. I'm a FO, mostly have CDOs all month (14 hour duty day, but half of that is naptime), and love it. Job is a piece of cake. I assume anyone complaining about it has never had a job instructing, working retail, or something else ****ty with little/no flexibility.

Originally Posted by BoatyMcBoatface View Post
Is the company actually enforcing their contract though? From what I understand, they don't prorate it until halfway through. Is management actually enforcing it? Seems like a good company but training contracts are unappealing.
It's $10k starting the day you pass your checkride, prorated down gradually to $4k the last few months and through day 364. Makes sense as the training is in the actual airplane, so is costly. Unsure about enforcement, imagine it'd be difficult beyond putting a mark on your PRIA stuff. Riding out a crappy job for a year isn't the end of the world anyway, but it definitely isn't a crappy job. I'll likely stay and upgrade to captain when I hit the hours.

I agree with AlrightyDEN - most of the pilots here like the job, though the limited routes in some bases do get a bit repetitive. A few pilots complain about every little thing, but they're the type that would do that no matter where they were.

If you can (as a FO) spend about a minute loading bags with help of a CSA, a minute briefing passengers, an hour sitting up front fiddling with autopilot/radios, another two minutes unloading passengers/bags, two minutes tossing some more bottled water/ice in the beverage drawer, and sit tight/entertain yourself as needed when the occasional delay comes up, that's all there is to it.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Sorry if someone has asked this lately but any word on PDX yet?
Old 11-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: PC12, Captain

I'm a lurker here for the most part, but I feel the need to chime in.

First to the guy asking about PDX-looks like it is happening. Most of the next class appears to be PDX based.

Now for the malcontents...what exactly do you think you signed up for here? Yes, the CDO's can be rough but they are the nature of the beast. We are a Part 135 EAS carrier. We need to be able to pick people up early enough to get them to the big airport for their early morning flight on the big airplane, and we need to get them home after their flight that gets into the big airport in the evening. It's what we do. Scheduling is well aware that these are rough, and my experience has been that as new pilots come on line, they try to give them shifts that provide relief to the rest of us.

As far as people leaving, again, look at what we do. Pilots leaving a company like this doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't happy. They come here to get their hours, and then they move along. I've been with the company for less than 6 months and moved up more than 20 seniority slots already. That's life at a company like this. You come here to fly. And if you choose to, you go on to bigger and (possibly) better at your first opportunity.

And to those that ask "Do they enforce the contract?" I simply say "grow up." If you don't want to honor the contract (either by working or paying) then don't sign it. It's that simple. They teach you to fly a PC12. For free. In fact, they actually pay you a pittance while you are training. A year's work isn't much to ask for in return.

Take a look at the post from "The New Guy Here." Pretty much nails it and I agree with 90% of what he says, especially the part about autonomy once we're in the airplane. My experience at Boutique Air has been nothing but positive. Great people top to bottom, especially in the cockpit. I'm truly honored that they felt I'd be a fit.

There is no doubt that I'll upgrade when and if it is offered, sign another contract, and honor it to the letter.

Rant over.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Contract

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: SR22

Originally Posted by N993T View Post
I'm a lurker here for the most part, but I feel the need to chime in.

First to the guy asking about PDX-looks like it is happening. Most of the next class appears to be PDX based.

Now for the malcontents...what exactly do you think you signed up for here? Yes, the CDO's can be rough but they are the nature of the beast. We are a Part 135 EAS carrier. We need to be able to pick people up early enough to get them to the big airport for their early morning flight on the big airplane, and we need to get them home after their flight that gets into the big airport in the evening. It's what we do. Scheduling is well aware that these are rough, and my experience has been that as new pilots come on line, they try to give them shifts that provide relief to the rest of us.

As far as people leaving, again, look at what we do. Pilots leaving a company like this doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't happy. They come here to get their hours, and then they move along. I've been with the company for less than 6 months and moved up more than 20 seniority slots already. That's life at a company like this. You come here to fly. And if you choose to, you go on to bigger and (possibly) better at your first opportunity.

And to those that ask "Do they enforce the contract?" I simply say "grow up." If you don't want to honor the contract (either by working or paying) then don't sign it. It's that simple. They teach you to fly a PC12. For free. In fact, they actually pay you a pittance while you are training. A year's work isn't much to ask for in return.

Take a look at the post from "The New Guy Here." Pretty much nails it and I agree with 90% of what he says, especially the part about autonomy once we're in the airplane. My experience at Boutique Air has been nothing but positive. Great people top to bottom, especially in the cockpit. I'm truly honored that they felt I'd be a fit.

There is no doubt that I'll upgrade when and if it is offered, sign another contract, and honor it to the letter.

Rant over.

Awesome dude. I hope I get to fly with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BoatyMcBoatface View Post
Is the company actually enforcing their contract though?
Not yet.

Filler
Old 11-07-2016, 03:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Been sifting through the recent posts on this thread, but cant find a good interview gouge other than the general "61/91 IFR regs" advice.

Any current employees or recent interviewees that would care to share a little more detail over the thread or perhaps PM me?

Also, just sent my resume in and have seen anywhere from a 2-3 day callback time to a 2 MONTH callback(or never) time.... anybody know if they need pilots currently? On the application I selected every base except LAX. Just shy of 700 TT 100 ME and a few turbine hours under my belt - hoping to start ASAP once I get a call and make it through the interviews.

First post try not to roast me too bad!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Contract

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: SR22

Had my HR interview yesterday. I thought it went well. She said average wait time is 2-3 weeks between HR and tech interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk