Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Old 04-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Thanks for the replies. Though i admit i am unfamiliar with "Lair".

Company e mail is setup, i have been sent a PC-12 study guide and an employee manual and thats all i have at this point, should i have received more?

Sounds like i was on the right track in preparing for the check ride, a friend informed me that at their company a .299 is done on a scheduled route, empty, with the Pilot being examined and the pilot conducting the examination normally being the only folks aboard.

So what i intend is to be prepared or FAR 135 regulations, weather minimums, recent experience requirements, rest periods etc as well as aircraft systems and limitations as available in the study guide i was provided.

for the flight portion of the ride, my research into how the check ride is to progress has me receiving different answers from all over the place. I am anticipating that it will probably be a scheduled repo leg perhaps. during which all duties of PIC are performed. throw in an approach or two, maybe a simulated emergency, a couple of maneuvers and done. that seems to be what most guys are saying, but every company does it a little different i guess.

It remains unclear if this is done right after the 5 flights in Denver, and it is on a DEN trip, or if i will be doing the 5 flights in Denver, return to my base and conduct the check ride there when the stars align. no clue. Also no idea what kind of IOE follows the ride.

I sort of fell off the radar once the study guide and CTS links were provided and class date is fast approaching.

My part 121 ride was about 90 minutes oral exam, and a flight in the sim doing FO duties with some emergency stuff, and approaches. then i did 1 ILS with a go around, and one ILS to a full stop in the actual aircraft. resulted in a type rating, and a schedule for a week of IOE trips followed by a reserve schedule.

again, thanks for all the info
Old 04-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by Azorian View Post
Thanks for the replies. Though i admit i am unfamiliar with "Lair".

Company e mail is setup, i have been sent a PC-12 study guide and an employee manual and thats all i have at this point, should i have received more?

Sounds like i was on the right track in preparing for the check ride, a friend informed me that at their company a .299 is done on a scheduled route, empty, with the Pilot being examined and the pilot conducting the examination normally being the only folks aboard.

So what i intend is to be prepared or FAR 135 regulations, weather minimums, recent experience requirements, rest periods etc as well as aircraft systems and limitations as available in the study guide i was provided.

for the flight portion of the ride, my research into how the check ride is to progress has me receiving different answers from all over the place. I am anticipating that it will probably be a scheduled repo leg perhaps. during which all duties of PIC are performed. throw in an approach or two, maybe a simulated emergency, a couple of maneuvers and done. that seems to be what most guys are saying, but every company does it a little different i guess.

It remains unclear if this is done right after the 5 flights in Denver, and it is on a DEN trip, or if i will be doing the 5 flights in Denver, return to my base and conduct the check ride there when the stars align. no clue. Also no idea what kind of IOE follows the ride.

I sort of fell off the radar once the study guide and CTS links were provided and class date is fast approaching.

My part 121 ride was about 90 minutes oral exam, and a flight in the sim doing FO duties with some emergency stuff, and approaches. then i did 1 ILS with a go around, and one ILS to a full stop in the actual aircraft. resulted in a type rating, and a schedule for a week of IOE trips followed by a reserve schedule.

again, thanks for all the info
Use Google Drive, login with your BTQ email and look for "Shared all pilot files" there's FSM/GOM/training manuals/training slide shows,etc

Welcome on board
Old 04-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

You rock
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Any word on when ya'll are starting up PRC?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2017

Prescott pulled their recommendation for Boutique Air service.

http://m.atwonline.com/airports-routes/prescott-city-officials-pull-boutique-airlines-endorsement
Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Wonder what the "new information" was...
Old 05-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Wonder what the "new information" was...
It reads pretty self-explanatory to me:

Prescott Municipal Airport director Robin Sobotta, confirmed to ATW’s sister publication Aviation Daily that public pushback against air service with single-engine aircraft led the city to change its stance.

...but the projected subsidy needed to make the service viable was deemed too high, city officials said.

Two other bidders, Advance Air and Mokulele Airlines, faced the same challenges. Advance proposed King Airs, while Mokulele proposed single-engine operations.

Public didn't want single-engine planes and the subsidy price was too high.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

If I remember right, last time bids were up (BTQ tried back then as well as I recall), SkyWest wanted to get in there a couple times a day. I wonder if PRC folk are going to forego the EAS money and take the airport upgrade option to get a regional in there.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:40 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Three questions:

1) How many hours can pilots expect to get in one year?

2) How commutable is the job? I saw on the website they have CASS agreements with Southwest, United, and American. Ideally would like to live in Nashville, and either commute to BWI, ATL, or DFW. BNA-ATL is only Delta, BNA-BWI is only Southwest, and BNA-DFW is only American. How would it be to commute any of those routes?

3) What does an average trip look like for PC-12 crews?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by justindw199 View Post
Three questions:

1) How many hours can pilots expect to get in one year?

2) How commutable is the job? I saw on the website they have CASS agreements with Southwest, United, and American. Ideally would like to live in Nashville, and either commute to BWI, ATL, or DFW. BNA-ATL is only Delta, BNA-BWI is only Southwest, and BNA-DFW is only American. How would it be to commute any of those routes?

3) What does an average trip look like for PC-12 crews?

Thanks in advance!
1) Depends on the base, I flew about 600 hours in a year at the Portland base

2) BNA-ATL, you could just take company metal to work if you were based in Atlanta. The PDX base was pretty commutable if you lived in the western US, but there are no commuter hotels in the contract if you end up getting stuck in base or want to get in early. I can't really speak for the east coast bases.

3) A lot of trips start out with a PM shift in base with an overnight at an outstation. One or two days of flying both the AM and PM shifts, ending at an outstation again. Depending on if it's a 3 or a 4 day trip, this could happen again, and then the shift will end at the end of then AM shift in base. Rest periods will likely be the legal minimum, maybe an hour or two more depending on if you're ahead of or behind schedule. When I left Portland it was essentially a 4 day trip that you would see at a regional with half of the per diem. In Portland a for day trip looked like this:

Day 1: 6 hours scheduled duty, 3 hours of flight, leading into ten hours of rest
Day 2: 14 hours scheduled duty, 6 hours of flight, leading into ten hours or rest
Day 3: 14 hours scheduled duty, 6 hours of flight, leading into ten hours of rest
Day 4: 5 hours scheduled duty, 3 hours of flight, off

Not a bad schedule in all honestly, though not really stellar. We had about 3 and a half hours of downtime in the afternoon on days 2 and 3 of this type of schedule, so most local crews would head home for a bit. If you're a commuter or get sent there on reserve, feel free to enjoy the cheap recliners that crews had to beg to get.