Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

WheesUp/Gama

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by mrski View Post
INTERESTING!!! Join the field! Do you you know how many pilots I know that have applied to WheelsUp and they don't have the courtesy to send them any kind of notification whatsoever. Yet they are looking weekly for pilots. Aviation is one of the saddest industries when it comes to consideration. Read some of the past comments on WUP. They have a history with 3 guys that do the hiring of manipulating everything for their friends, etc. Passing over qualified pilots to upgrade into the jet because they hire a street captain that's a friend. They could have an operation next to NetJets if it weren't for antics like that. In today's pilot market they will suffer because they will not get the loyalty that they need to put them over the top. The really sad part is that there are so many shyster outfits out there that do the same thing.
You are right ! I have been told the same thing by people working there. With all the opportunities that our available now why even consider going there. Maybe wheels up will start looking for a different 135 operator to handle there aircraft in the near future.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

I can't help but wonder if upper management, like Tom Miller, know the shananagans that are taking place and if they even care. It IS under their watch. Like any company that has a good product, if they start to cut corners and pull this kind of crap, it will come back to haunt them.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016

Any updates to QOL? Any overtime flying? What's general attitude now? Walk on captain for king air still exist, if so have reqs changed?

Lastly, how hard is it to get LAX or SAN?

Thanks!

PS asking for a buddy doing some research who is retiring from MIL. If you have anything you'd think is pertinent please include that in your post as well.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Line Holder

Send in your resume. I would guess exmilitary has the best opportunity to get contacted. The only drawback is communication getting your foot in the door. Once your in, I think it is one of the best outfits around. Great planes that are maintained, good pay and great benefits. Most really enjoy it.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

A few things need to change:
1. Paying for crew meals or a portion of the cost.
2. One week vacation a year doesn't cut it.
3. They do not count travel to your home base, on day 8, as part of the 14 hour duty day.
4. Publish a seniority list.
5. Publish a pay scale.
6. If you go from the KA to the XL you lose whatever raises and go back to year 1 pay for that seat. You take a pay cut.

Those past and current feel free to add.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by cloud counter View Post
A few things need to change:
1. Paying for crew meals or a portion of the cost.
2. One week vacation a year doesn't cut it.
3. They do not count travel to your home base, on day 8, as part of the 14 hour duty day.
4. Publish a seniority list.
5. Publish a pay scale.
6. If you go from the KA to the XL you lose whatever raises and go back to year 1 pay for that seat. You take a pay cut.

Those past and current feel free to add.
I think 1,2,3 are going to be hard sells. You get per diem, why would you want the company to pay for a crew meal? It will be hard to get more than a week of vacation when you get blocks of 6 days off every rotation. Why would traveling home count towards duty time? For Part 135, you need 10 hours of rest BEFORE taking a flight assignment. You can be on duty indefinitely.

I think targeting your efforts towards 4,5, and 6 would be better.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
I think 1,2,3 are going to be hard sells. You get per diem, why would you want the company to pay for a crew meal? It will be hard to get more than a week of vacation when you get blocks of 6 days off every rotation. Why would traveling home count towards duty time? For Part 135, you need 10 hours of rest BEFORE taking a flight assignment. You can be on duty indefinitely.

Why would you need a crew meal? Come work a day in the summer here and you'll find out quick. More vacation should possibly come with seniority. The over 14 hours on day 8 issue doesn't happen that often IMO. Might be unsafe to drive home from the airport if it's too long of a day.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I think the $10 "contribution" to the crew meal is to discourage people from ordering them every leg. It didn't used to be that way, but one or two Delta Bravos abused the benefit and ruined it for everyone else.

A seniority list is desperately needed here. Emotions aside this isn't a bad place to work but pilots tend to carry alot of pride. I know of several people who have quit because seniority wasn't honored with regard to upgrade or transition to the XL.

I'm not sure who makes the rules here. Maybe things will change now Tom has passed?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Line Holder

This should not be overlooked. An 8 on 6 off schedule is better than most but it works out to a 4 day work week with three days off. There are numerous jobs where you work a schedule like that. So, don't think you have a week off every other week. You are probably putting a lot more time in every week compared to the one doing a 4 day work week. I think 2 weeks vacation after a year or two would be appropriate.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Airplane.

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post

Adding travel home to your duty time would definitely increase quality of life, limiting the amount of flying they could task you on day 8.