Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy32 View Post
So gym yes airport food no? Thanks for the hot tip dude. Maybe better just change my genetics not to be an endomorph.
My father is morbidly obese, BMI in the 40 range. My BMI is <24.

Genetics doesn't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat.

You can change your life, but you have to be willing to. Lots of stuff out there to help.

I saw myself going down that road. I decided to make a change, it can be done.
Name User is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #12  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Can you explain what facts you feel are incorrect. Your link is just a pdf summary of all material provided by the FAA. BMI cannot be the only factor utilized in the assessment. Risk assessment is supposed to be based on a variety of factors, but BMI remains a major component. The most helpful document link is Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
For what its worth I am a sleep doctor and I found these guidelines confusing.
The Spec sheets A and B are a link at the bottom of the document. Hope this helps. Also ZEE APPNEA ? Sleep Apnea Risk explains this somewhat.
sleepdoclv is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
awax's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoclv View Post
Can you explain what facts you feel are incorrect. Your link is just a pdf summary of all material provided by the FAA. BMI cannot be the only factor utilized in the assessment. Risk assessment is supposed to be based on a variety of factors, but BMI remains a major component. The most helpful document link is Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
For what its worth I am a sleep doctor and I found these guidelines confusing.
The Spec sheets A and B are a link at the bottom of the document. Hope this helps. Also ZEE APPNEA ? Sleep Apnea Risk explains this somewhat.
Thanks for posting, I think the new guidelines will catch a lot of guys by surprise.
awax is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
labbats's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320
Posts: 1,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awax View Post
Thanks for posting, I think the new guidelines will catch a lot of guys by surprise.

A lot of things can catch a guy with a BMI over 35.
labbats is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #15  
veut gagner la loterie
 
forgot to bid's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop
Posts: 22,692
Default

Sweet. the bmi chat doesn't include my height.


So the FAA is at it again age getting slapped down by Congress. Last time they were starting with high bmi and then were going to eventually test everyone.

The only people though I have ever seen have sleep trouble in cockpits were heavy drinkers. I wonder if they'll add alcohol to the mix regardless of bmi?
forgot to bid is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 681
Default

Trending now on Google:

"How to cut weight"

Last edited by Ray Red; 03-15-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Edit
Ray Red is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
Sweet. the bmi chat doesn't include my height.


So the FAA is at it again age getting slapped down by Congress. Last time they were starting with high bmi and then were going to eventually test everyone.

The only people though I have ever seen have sleep trouble in cockpits were heavy drinkers. I wonder if they'll add alcohol to the mix regardless of bmi?
Alcohol prevents getting into deep sleep. But how would that ever be brought into the evaluation?

More importantly how far do we allow the FAA to go with this nonsense? Why would they ever get more restrictive with medical requirements? When was the last time a pilot in poor health created any problem greater than the other pilot could handle by there self? Has it ever happened? We shouldn't even be required to get medicals. It's just something we accept because it's the way it has always been.

And no this new rule will not effect me. This stuff just bothers me.
rvr1800 is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr1800 View Post
Alcohol prevents getting into deep sleep. But how would that ever be brought into the evaluation?

More importantly how far do we allow the FAA to go with this nonsense? Why would they ever get more restrictive with medical requirements? When was the last time a pilot in poor health created any problem greater than the other pilot could handle by there self? Has it ever happened? We shouldn't even be required to get medicals. It's just something we accept because it's the way it has always been.

And no this new rule will not effect me. This stuff just bothers me.
The government frequently solves problems that don't exist by passing new laws and regulations to further restrict or otherwise hamper a citizen's ability to earn a living.

It's not about saving the children or "making the skies safer." It's all about control. Gotta sing for your supper, boy. And don't you forget it.

Zee state vill decide who should do what, where, when, why, and how.
OpenClimb is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 338
Default

The original poster is just trying to drum up sales. He has a vested interest in testing and treating EVERY pilot.

He's offering an iOS app to record your sleep patterns. Of course you can't get the results on your own... You have to send the file to him along with your contact information. He'll let you know if you need to purchase his services.

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the percentage who will receive a positive diagnosis?

He and people like him are the reason we're all facing yet another threat to our continued employment.

Go away troll.
OpenClimb is offline  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: French Bus Capn'
Posts: 6,835
Default

Pilot eating habits are surprising. Our job is tough on our circadian rhythms and eating patterns/habits. We are sedentary due to the nature of flying. But that having been said I still can't believe there are grown men in their 40s and 50s who will down 2-3 cans of Coke a day in flight. I'm sorry, that is waaay too much sugar at that age! That omelet breakfast looks fantastic, but did you read the menu where it said that they use 3 full eggs to make it? IIRC one egg yoke has ~80% of your recommended cholesterol intake for a day. etc. etc. It starts with good eating habits and a regular exercise routine.
ShyGuy is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply

Tags
faa, medical, new guidelines, sleep, sleep apnea
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UPS 747 Dubai Final Report RealityCheck Safety 70 08-18-2013 05:04 PM
SWA into EWR OnTheKlacker Major 208 09-09-2010 01:36 AM
Stringent FAA medical guidelines, recipe for disaster Brian3613 Pilot Health 10 06-27-2008 06:52 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:37 PM.