Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional
How long till this feeling dies??? >

How long till this feeling dies???

Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

How long till this feeling dies???

Old 03-09-2008, 06:59 AM
  #31  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 585
Default

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Yeah but that's the starving ethiopian argument (which always pops up).
Leave Ethiopia out of it. You can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs, although technically, it is your definition of basic needs is different than most people.

A wise man once told me two things: "Do what you love and the money will follow" and "create multiple streams of income."

Those statements have allowed me to be one of the most expensive instructor on the field, on an hourly basis. It has prompted me to have multiple streams of income, so I can easily take or leave potential clients. It allows survival while I gain the jet hours needed to move on to the next instructing level, or decide if that is really what I want to do. And, it allows survival and gives me something to do while I sit on the ground waiting to heal enough to get back to flying and instructing.
jedinein is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 AM
  #32  
11 soon to be 10 days off
 
WIFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Left seat, wait right seat, no no left seat, nope right seat! Ummmm, I guess I am confused
Posts: 275
Default

I used to work in a large corporation doing boring IT work. It paid great, I had time off up the wahzoo and the benefits were top notch. Every Friday I would run for the door and every Sunday evening I would get that sick feeling in my stomach that I had to go back to work the following day. I started flying for fun/adventure/challenge/whatever, moved on to flight instructing part time. I realized there that flying was my passion and took a huge paycut to become an instructor. My overall life happiness increased dramatically and I was lucky enough to time it perfectly to get into this latest boom of hiring for the regionals.

So, here I am sitting right seat for a regional 5 years after I started this 'hobby' and I am reminded of what an old co-worker told me. He said that, in his view, retirement wasn't just playing golf. It was finally having the financial security to get the job you have wanted your whole life but couldn't due to money or time or some other reason. So, when I left my corporate job, he told me "congratulations on your retirement!". That has stuck with me. Do I love every aspect of this job: no way. However, it is still the greatest job for me and I feel lucky that I found my passion and turned it into a career.
WIFlyer is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
  #33  
Self Employed.
 
SkyHigh's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Posts: 7,111
Default Not over yet

Originally Posted by WIFlyer View Post
I used to work in a large corporation doing boring IT work. It paid great, I had time off up the wahzoo and the benefits were top notch. Every Friday I would run for the door and every Sunday evening I would get that sick feeling in my stomach that I had to go back to work the following day. I started flying for fun/adventure/challenge/whatever, moved on to flight instructing part time. I realized there that flying was my passion and took a huge paycut to become an instructor. My overall life happiness increased dramatically and I was lucky enough to time it perfectly to get into this latest boom of hiring for the regionals.

So, here I am sitting right seat for a regional 5 years after I started this 'hobby' and I am reminded of what an old co-worker told me. He said that, in his view, retirement wasn't just playing golf. It was finally having the financial security to get the job you have wanted your whole life but couldn't due to money or time or some other reason. So, when I left my corporate job, he told me "congratulations on your retirement!". That has stuck with me. Do I love every aspect of this job: no way. However, it is still the greatest job for me and I feel lucky that I found my passion and turned it into a career.
Your story isn't over yet. In fact you have just begun. In time you will most likely find yourself back at your IT job.

I don't know if you are married or not but most people work jobs that are less than satisfying because they have something they value more at home.

SkyHigh
SkyHigh is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 AM
  #34  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ACEAV8R's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Whoring for flight time
Posts: 186
Default

Originally Posted by jamin35008 View Post
Great Statement! and for those of you who think flying as part of a flight crew can get old.....just think about the little people (like me) who you look to and say there is a mech. problem or a three hour UPDATE for out edct time and thats when I turn around and have to say....for those of you on flt 1234 to xyz Im sorry to say that there is a problem.....and 50-100 pax come running up to the gate to say what f#%$ and your a a#$hole its your fault, this airline sucks, what are you going to do about it...thats when I say I will book you for tomorrow and they say FFFFFFFFFF U I have my wedding tomorrow GET ME THERE TONIGHT! Thats why Im trying my hardest to get into the right seat asap! I hate my job! Anyone who thinks being a pilot sucks, come with work with me for a day and see how you like it! By the way we not only work the gate, but the ticket counter, baggage, ramp, and ops.... gotta love cost saving...one person can do it all. Come join the fun!
Who do you work for and what station are you at? I guess you get just as much fun as I do. Not to mention fighting with crew scheduling/dispatch/maint control, dealing with maintenance personnel, working with mainline to try and squeeze 15 aircrafts into 9 gates, and aircraft/crew swaps. Also dealing with my bitter agents, p/oed pax, some crew members that just think we throw bags, scan boarding cards and eat lunch, and being everywhere at once. Oh did I mention there were no hotels in the area and pax aren't gonna fly out for another 3 days. I can't remember the amount of personal law suits and @$$ beatings I have coming for me. All for about 12 bucks an hour. Anyone wanna switch pm me asap. I don't mind being that "low time" pilot who knows nothing because in a few months, I'll no longer be that guy. Everyone must start somewhere. I'll even throw in a vest with a different color from the reg agents so that you are id as the leader.

Carib, I hope the ride doesn't end for you buddy. Fly it till the wings fall off because You'll never miss the water until the well runs dry.
ACEAV8R is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 AM
  #35  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SPDBOILER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Yes & Yes!
Posts: 126
Default

As soon as you start taking these posts too seriously!!!!!
SPDBOILER is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
  #36  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot
Posts: 782
Default

Originally Posted by jedinein View Post
Leave Ethiopia out of it. You can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs, although technically, it is your definition of basic needs is different than most people.

A wise man once told me two things: "Do what you love and the money will follow" and "create multiple streams of income."

Those statements have allowed me to be one of the most expensive instructor on the field, on an hourly basis. It has prompted me to have multiple streams of income, so I can easily take or leave potential clients. It allows survival while I gain the jet hours needed to move on to the next instructing level, or decide if that is really what I want to do. And, it allows survival and gives me something to do while I sit on the ground waiting to heal enough to get back to flying and instructing.
I think Hindsight was referring to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which I'm sure you learned about during your initial CFI training (that's where I learned it). It's UNIVERSAL - the basic needs referring to stuff like food, shelter and sex. I disagree with your saying you can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs... how can you enjoy your flying if you're starving or homeless or haven't gotten laid in 5 years? And that's his point, if you can't even afford the basic stuff on regional wage, how can you say you are truly fulfilled because the basic stuff like food and shelter must come before anything else. Of course, he is saying a 23 year old with no family usually CAN support himself on 15k/year and that is why you will find only people like that wondering such questions.

As far as you being able to charge more for your CFI services.. well that is different because CFIs can be independent contractors.. airline pilots are not.
In any case, you state the importance of creating multiple streams of income (which I agree with.) Isn't that in line with what Hindsight is saying? After all, why would you need to create additional sources of income (i.e., additional WORK) if your airline job was truly fulfilling? Even if you don't NEED to create more income, but WANT to (for security or nicer things or whatever), that itself is saying you still aren't fulfilled on some level.
kalyx522 is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
  #37  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Slice is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
  #38  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Default

I have no experience in the airline industry, but I have had a twenty six year career in another side of aviation. I retired in December of 2004, after a couple of years of "burnout". I was sick and tired of flying, dealing with customers, dealing with employees, and all that goes with running a business. I walked away from it and sold my business, never intending to fly for hire again. In reality, all I needed was a couple of years away from it. Now, I find myself current again, have bought a small twin to get my multi time built up, and am totally fired up to get back in the game. My plan is to get on with a pt 91 operation locally, and if that doesnt work out, I am seriously considering a regional. Call me crazy, I thought that the "feeling" had left me for good, but all I needed was to catch my breath and now I am just as pumped about flying as I was when I was sixteen years old and just getting started. I will be forty nine next week.
t-cart is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
  #39  
11 soon to be 10 days off
 
WIFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Left seat, wait right seat, no no left seat, nope right seat! Ummmm, I guess I am confused
Posts: 275
Default

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Your story isn't over yet. In fact you have just begun. In time you will most likely find yourself back at your IT job.

I don't know if you are married or not but most people work jobs that are less than satisfying because they have something they value more at home.

SkyHigh

Sorry man, can't bring me down. Not married, no kids and not going to have kids so that relieves all that pressure to earn for more than me. As I said, I am lucky in that I won't need to work at a job just to provide for my family, that is pretty much taken care of. Yes, I am the minority.
WIFlyer is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM
  #40  
No one's home
 
III Corps's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Posts: 950
Default

Originally Posted by jedinein View Post
[COLOR=black] You can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs, although technically, it is your definition of basic needs is different than most people.
Seems to be slightly contradictory in that basic needs are just that and not subject to subjective definition. Wants, however, are the one that quickly get costly.
III Corps is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Colonel S
United
25
05-04-2022 03:46 AM
Lori Clark
Hangar Talk
1
11-02-2016 05:02 PM
fly-efi
Corporate
0
09-19-2007 12:39 PM
trackpilot
Regional
55
07-22-2007 06:11 AM
LAfrequentflyer
Hangar Talk
1
10-17-2005 12:52 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread