Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
I flew with a CA recently (about 12 yrs in the company) who was still using his issued telex... He vaguely mentioned at some point on the trip that he was considering upgrading. Maybe in another 2-3 years I had to work hard to keep a straight face.

Sorry. I couldn't help it.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Latest nominee: mainline CA who poked his head in the flight deck of our little RJ. No friendly hello, no polite introduction, no credentials readily visible, no nothing. His tone of voice was extremely curt and gruff.

"Hey. My name's ___. I've got the jumpseat." Unlocks the seat, slides it out, and sits down. My CA and I look at each other, like 'Who the heck is this guy?!?' My CA turns around, and very politely says "Welcome aboard. I'll need to see your credentials please."

Big sigh and a huff from the mainline CA. Digs in his pockets for his jumpseat authorization, pilot cert, etc. My CA inspects them politely, hands them back. "Are you familiar with this aircraft or do you need a jumpseat briefing?"

Mainline CA (gruff, dismissive.) "No. I'm good." Then pulls out his phone and buries his nose in it. I really wish I was making this up.

My CA and I looked at each other again, and it was clear we were thinking the same thing. But it was a rainy Friday, last flight out, so we figured maybe this guy had just gotten off the trip from h*ll and had left his manners at his last layover. So we conveyed him to his destination. All we got at the end was a gruff 'thanks.'

Some people...
Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
Latest nominee: mainline CA who poked his head in the flight deck of our little RJ. No friendly hello, no polite introduction, no credentials readily visible, no nothing. His tone of voice was extremely curt and gruff.

"Hey. My name's ___. I've got the jumpseat." Unlocks the seat, slides it out, and sits down. My CA and I look at each other, like 'Who the heck is this guy?!?' My CA turns around, and very politely says "Welcome aboard. I'll need to see your credentials please."

Big sigh and a huff from the mainline CA. Digs in his pockets for his jumpseat authorization, pilot cert, etc. My CA inspects them politely, hands them back. "Are you familiar with this aircraft or do you need a jumpseat briefing?"

Mainline CA (gruff, dismissive.) "No. I'm good." Then pulls out his phone and buries his nose in it. I really wish I was making this up.

My CA and I looked at each other again, and it was clear we were thinking the same thing. But it was a rainy Friday, last flight out, so we figured maybe this guy had just gotten off the trip from h*ll and had left his manners at his last layover. So we conveyed him to his destination. All we got at the end was a gruff 'thanks.'

Some people...
My retort is “Wanna bet?”
Old 03-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post

Some people...
Next time don't think of him as a "mainline Captain". Think of the jump seater as a pilot on equal terms regardless of rank and position and act accordingly.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Capt A-hole today who berates me today for going “hot mike” and insisting on NOT using the intercom during critical phases of flight starting with the taxi at a foreign airport.
You Sir, are the Tool of the Day.
Thank the sky gods you only have one year till retirement.

Retirement should be a sliding scale.
If you’re an a-hole 55 and if you’re a cool dude 75.
Average be 65.
I flew with this 30 year ex-KLM TRI who got red in the face because I talked to the tug driver. He wasn't good at understanding JFK ATC and ordered a push in front of JBLU to which I responded "after JBLU". "YOU DON'T SPEAK TO GROUND YOU SPEAK TO ME UNDERSTOOD!?!". The funny part came 30 seconds later when ATC ordered "dont push deep" and Captain Van Zanten 2.0 orders "push deep" and I intervened again. This time he stared straight ahead with a defeated look on his face
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I flew with this 30 year ex-KLM TRI who got red in the face because I talked to the tug driver. He wasn't good at understanding JFK ATC and ordered a push in front of JBLU to which I responded "after JBLU". "YOU DON'T SPEAK TO GROUND YOU SPEAK TO ME UNDERSTOOD!?!". The funny part came 30 seconds later when ATC ordered "dont push deep" and Captain Van Zanten 2.0 orders "push deep" and I intervened again. This time he stared straight ahead with a defeated look on his face
Don’t you work for Norwegian?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
Don’t you work for Norwegian?
I did until recently.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
My retort is “Wanna bet?”
Mine's "oh is this a line check?" and see where it goes from there
Old 03-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I did until recently.
Boom - Tool of the Day.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by vessbot View Post
Mine's "oh is this a line check?" and see where it goes from there
That's a good one, I gotta say. As is "Wanna bet?"

What is it the French call it? "L'esprit d'escalier." The wit of the stairway. The thing that occurs to you that you wish you'd said, but couldn't quite conjure up at the time.