90.62%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:56 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2020

Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
I think there is a major gap in your thesis. New pilots make their choice of which airline to apply to based on several personal factors, but one of those factors common to all is pay. If DAL or AA have a contract, I am fairly certain UAL will have a contract as well. Particularly when you are talking about raises on the order of 15-20%. So, yes UAL-ALPA missed the boat on mediation, but no, I do not believe it will impact the ultimate outcome.

Mighty sad when we’re conditioned
Our President has an aggressive growth plan, and I think that is why UAL got a TA when it did. I do not believe Kirby was smart enough to have realized the details of the TA would be considered so onerous by line pilots. It is far more likely he was relying on information from his negotiators as well as whatever he was hearing from the MC both of which probably were telling him how great this TA was and how it would place United at the top for the near future. Happily that bubble is now burst, but it won't change the fact that Kirby wants United to be the world's premier Global Airline, and his pilots still need a leading contract to do so. Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting this to happen fast, but I think 18 months to 2 years on the outside and more likely I would bet a $100 bucks, we will see a new TA before next summer.
18 mos to 2 years? Mighty sad when we’re conditioned to contractual issues and delays. If the company really wants an agreement, we’ll have one in a week or two. If this goes another two years then the company is using the delay to allow us to fund the improvements.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:16 AM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by TOGA Thrust View Post
I am in the end of the career crowd.

There is no way I could look at myself in the mirror knowing I left this profession in a worse place than I found it.

NO! NO! NO!
My sentiment exactly. ALPA national needs to step in and demand the United MEC deliver a solid TA with pay that exceeds inflation, a real retirement plan that contains company funding, and work rules that make common sense ie 8 daily departures no more than 4 short calls and 1 field standby to cover them ( not every pilot is going to call in sick)..
Let's stop this insanity and demand the NC leverage our position. Our leverage has never been better than right now.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Mytime2025 View Post
ALPA national needs to step in and demand the United MEC deliver a solid TA with pay that exceeds inflation, a real retirement plan that contains company funding, and work rules that make common sense ie 8 daily departures no more than 4 short calls and 1 field standby to cover them ( not every pilot is going to call in sick)..
That sounds groovy. BUT..........That's not ALPA National's role or job.

ALPA national has been keen to give away mainline jobs via scope regression.
ALPA National has used mainline dues moneys and given it to the smaller regionals to have them negotiate contracts that essentially choke off mainline routes. How did the regional express type jets grow so big and so fast? ALPA facilitated this growth by using your dues money and giving it to their MEC's, thus subsidizing their negotiations. You've been negotiating against your own self, and your own wallet for the last 25 years. Now, we want to take back our scope and tighten it up. What's ALPA saying/doing about that?

ALPA doesn't care who does the flying. They don't even care what's in your contract.

They just want more dues paying members, and to grow their membership base. They do care that everyone signs on to ALPA and becomes an ALPA carrier/member and signs some sort of contract.

ALPA was ok with all the concessionary contracts and the forfeiture of pay, benefits, and retirement, so clearly they will be OK with ignoring UAL pilots needs in POS 22.

ALPA was also OK with the over-funding of the CAL LTD fund. CAL Management wanted it, so ALPA said OK. in 2011, our merger TA wasn't signed right?. UAL pilots were not in the CAL LTD plan at that time. So, how did they terminate the CAL LTD plan in 2011 and then simultaneously re-name it the UAL LTD plan? ALPA must have turned a blind eye to that, or were in on it. The UAL pilots LTD plan didn't start til 2012. So, how did they change the names "legally" in 2011, before we signed the merger TA in 2012.

There's a lot of communication and coordination between ALPA and Management that occurs on a daily basis, but we the line pilot never know about it. How can these things happen without our elected reps in the room? Sending in a SME to talk to management is not wise. Why? They aren't elected. Not directly accountable to the membership and are not "recall-able."

I am getting the feeling that ALPA National doesn't really care about rank and file issues. Just keep those dues moneys coming!
Old 07-06-2022, 10:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

It’s only fair to point out that it was ALPA pilots who gave away scope and created the regional feed in the first place. Doesn’t seem right to then take away those regional pilot’s ability to engage in collective bargaining. But yes I do see your point otherwise.

Never give up scope.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
So we're paying union dues for dozens of pilots to golf and have dinner parties while we sit on a listless sinking ship. Awesome.
That’s about what appears to be happening - at best. Given the near-concessionary nature of the TA, it seems like what has been going on may be even worse - the co-opting of the MEC, NC, and execs by management or even their active collaboration with management.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2020

Originally Posted by Dirkkdiggler View Post
It’s only fair to point out that it was ALPA pilots who gave away scope and created the regional feed in the first place. Doesn’t seem right to then take away those regional pilot’s ability to engage in collective bargaining. But yes I do see your point otherwise.

Never give up scope.
lUal stuck the camel’s nose under the tent with the 4 BAEs, but Delta was the one who opened the floodgates to ComAir.

Don’t let up the pressure. Keep talking and getting people to vote. Preferably No.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Dirkkdiggler View Post

Never give up scope.
Was it just the ALPA pilots, or did the ALPA staff and advisors give a hand too?
Old 07-06-2022, 03:37 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Well it’s the negotiating committee, the MEC and the MEC Chairs that sign off on a TA and then the pilots vote for it. ALPA staff may bend some ears but they’re literally not a part of the ratification process.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2019

So what was the point of halting the info sessions?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Originally Posted by C17man View Post
So what was the point of halting the info sessions?
“After much discussion, the MEC unanimously agreed the ballot will remain open through the originally planned closing date of Friday, July 15, 10 a.m. ET. Please get the facts about the Tentative Agreement on the MEC website and vote so your voice can be heard. Updated FAQs have been posted and we will continue to address questions sent to the UPA 2022 TA FAQ PDR inbox. MEC town halls will resume next week, and the dates will be announced soon. Your LEC representatives are also available if you have any questions.”