Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 04-11-2022, 12:48 PM
  #19031  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 54
Default

Originally Posted by Mtfm View Post
What’s the timeframe from app to hear something?
I submitted my application on the Mar 25th. I had an automated email to confirm receipt of my application on Apr 8th and then another email about an hour later to schedule a phone screening. Seems like 1-2 weeks is what others are seeing as well at the moment. I have no recommendations, just filled out the online application.
Bluesky123 is offline  
Old 04-11-2022, 03:25 PM
  #19032  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 173
Default

Originally Posted by Bluesky123 View Post
I submitted my application on the Mar 25th. I had an automated email to confirm receipt of my application on Apr 8th and then another email about an hour later to schedule a phone screening. Seems like 1-2 weeks is what others are seeing as well at the moment. I have no recommendations, just filled out the online application.
Again, this is one of many experiences. I have referred numerous people. The time line is literally.a few hours after application to several months if they get lost in the shuffle. In which case your only hope is to get your referral to be your advocate. Track someone down in HR and inquire.
HR does things at their own pace and it's not structured. Do not go looking on some definite timeline as to how your application will play out. Just like about anything Atlas support related. Its a disorganized mess.
akfrtdwg 57 is offline  
Old 04-12-2022, 02:51 AM
  #19033  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2022
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by BrazilBusDriver View Post
Disclaimer: I'm currently on a leave of absence so my info is a little dated, but it's 15-17 days on/month, split up across 1-3 trips. So maybe 6 on, then 4 or 5 off, then 10 on or something like that. Maybe 6, 6, and 5 with days off. Occasionally there's just 15-17 days on (with 24/7 sprinkled throughout). We have 30 day (1 month) and 60 day (2 calendar month) lines, and it's a little more common to get 17 straight days across the transition portion of a 60 day line. So a 60 day line might look like 8 on, sizeable chunk of days off, then 9 on to end the month/8 to start the next, then another 7, 8, or 9 days to close out the second month. AFAIK there are very few trips that actually start in CVG on the 737, so you'll almost always be deadheading to work, typically on a commercial flight (but occasionally company metal). This works great for gateway folks since they can travel on a workday, instead of before, but if you're local you won't care too much other than the deadhead starts your time away from base rig (CRT).
Thank you very much for sharing the info. Well in my opinion that really sucks. What's the point to live at base if you deadhead that much.
Piloton is offline  
Old 04-12-2022, 03:43 AM
  #19034  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Piloton View Post
Thank you very much for sharing the info. Well in my opinion that really sucks. What's the point to live at base if you deadhead that much.
Living in base is really nice on the other fleets. Deadheading to the plane may be nice because it means more time off instead of positioning into base before the start of your pattern.

If it fits your life, great. If not, you have ample time to dodge this particular ball.
Elevation is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 06:19 PM
  #19035  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 110
Default

Hi everyone!

I just finished my LOE at my regional - received my ATP and type rating. My mentor told me on the day of my checkride to apply everywhere for kicks... "you never know!" he said. So I applied everywhere.

And... two days later - I received an email from Atlas saying they want to talk to me (I am guessing this is the phone screening?).
I am totally flabbergasted and shaken. I was not expecting this at all and I feel absolutely unprepared and unqualified.
I have 0 jet time. 0 SIC. All I have is a 2 day old ATP and a type rating in a regional jet. 'Maybe they made a mistake?' is my gut feeling.

Would anyone help me how to prepare for this? What goes on in the phone screening and what can I expect next? What can I do to prepare myself?

Thank you all in advance!
PurringRaccoon is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 07:28 PM
  #19036  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 666
Default

Originally Posted by PurringRaccoon View Post
Hi everyone!

I just finished my LOE at my regional - received my ATP and type rating. My mentor told me on the day of my checkride to apply everywhere for kicks... "you never know!" he said. So I applied everywhere.

And... two days later - I received an email from Atlas saying they want to talk to me (I am guessing this is the phone screening?).
I am totally flabbergasted and shaken. I was not expecting this at all and I feel absolutely unprepared and unqualified.
I have 0 jet time. 0 SIC. All I have is a 2 day old ATP and a type rating in a regional jet. 'Maybe they made a mistake?' is my gut feeling.

Would anyone help me how to prepare for this? What goes on in the phone screening and what can I expect next? What can I do to prepare myself?

Thank you all in advance!
Congratulations on your new ATP and first type rating. It's an exciting milestone for your career.
As to feeling "unprepared and unqualified", all I can say is that, in the words of Bob Dylan, the times they are a'changing. If Atlas is where you want to hang your hat, then this is a great opportunity for you. However, just know that if Atlas is not where you think you'd want to spend the next 5-10 years, you might be better served by going to a regional. Personally, I love it here and have no plans to go elsewhere. But this job isn't for everyone. And on the 737 (which I am assuming that they would offer you if you make it through the interview), it definitely isn't a great way to build time. And if you barely have an ATP, you're going to need to build time in order to make the "stepping stone" move to wherever it is that you want to be.

As to how to prepare, I'll let someone who was more recently hired, and therefore has more accurate information, chime in.
Best of luck. If you decide that this is where you want to be, then don't let anyone on here tell you that you won't belong. Just be ready to study your a** off, and be ready to be made to know what you don't know.
RyeMex is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 08:07 PM
  #19037  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2021
Posts: 318
Default

Does Atlas care much if you donít have a degree? Iím also at a regional, but havenít started sims yet, currently waiting in the pipeline. Iím planning to finish up a degree, but wasnít sure if I should finish while at my regional, or just go ahead and get some jet time at the regional, then throw in an app, maybe get picked up, and then try to knock it out while doing ACMI. What do you guys think? Open to suggestions.
Cleared4appch is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 08:17 PM
  #19038  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by RyeMex View Post
Congratulations on your new ATP and first type rating. It's an exciting milestone for your career.
As to feeling "unprepared and unqualified", all I can say is that, in the words of Bob Dylan, the times they are a'changing. If Atlas is where you want to hang your hat, then this is a great opportunity for you. However, just know that if Atlas is not where you think you'd want to spend the next 5-10 years, you might be better served by going to a regional. Personally, I love it here and have no plans to go elsewhere. But this job isn't for everyone. And on the 737 (which I am assuming that they would offer you if you make it through the interview), it definitely isn't a great way to build time. And if you barely have an ATP, you're going to need to build time in order to make the "stepping stone" move to wherever it is that you want to be.

As to how to prepare, I'll let someone who was more recently hired, and therefore has more accurate information, chime in.
Best of luck. If you decide that this is where you want to be, then don't let anyone on here tell you that you won't belong. Just be ready to study your a** off, and be ready to be made to know what you don't know.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate that! Working through regional training and getting ATP was definitely the hardest thing I have done in my life so far... I am definitely not the sharpest tool in the box.

I am currently at Endeavor and we have a flow to Delta in about 4-7 years. (it's anyone's guess really). And it was recently revealed that Delta is throttling OTS hires from its regional carriers to about 5 a month to maintain regional staffing. And if we do try to interview outside of the flow and fail, we lose he flow completely. It seems like It's set up to encourage regional pilots to stay put. So the consensus among our pilot workgroup is "don't wait for the flow, follow opportunity."

Regarding your advice: Atlas wasn't really my end goal. But I wasn't planning on chasing any particular company - but to see what opens up as I went along. I am completely unsure of how I should structure my career plan. But I assume there is some clause that prohibits me from leaving Atlas for some number of years? Hm... I'll have to think about it carefully.

But for now - I will do my best to prepare for the interview! Having options is good
PurringRaccoon is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 08:28 PM
  #19039  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 6,500
Default

Originally Posted by Cleared4appch View Post
Does Atlas care much if you donít have a degree? Iím also at a regional, but havenít started sims yet, currently waiting in the pipeline. Iím planning to finish up a degree, but wasnít sure if I should finish while at my regional, or just go ahead and get some jet time at the regional, then throw in an app, maybe get picked up, and then try to knock it out while doing ACMI. What do you guys think? Open to suggestions.
ACMI schedules are great for college work if that is what you want. Atlas mostly cares about your qualifications as a pilot and how good of a match you are to the operation, not what HR boxes you can tick. So lack of degree is not a problem, as long as you are a good fit.
dera is offline  
Old 04-13-2022, 08:34 PM
  #19040  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 666
Default

Originally Posted by PurringRaccoon View Post
But I assume there is some clause that prohibits me from leaving Atlas for some number of years? Hm... I'll have to think about it carefully.

But for now - I will do my best to prepare for the interview! Having options is good
Thankfully, you are incorrect about that. There is no ďtraining contractĒ or any such nonsense at Atlas. My advice was more to point out that if your dream airline wonít hire you without X number of hours, just to be aware that you probably wonít build nearly as much time at Atlas as you would at a regional. Iím on the 767, and I donít think Iíve ever flown over 300 hours in a year, which is great for quality of life. But itís not great if your goal is to log 3,000 more hours as quickly as you can.
RyeMex is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
astropilot92571
Hiring News
6
05-15-2024 01:03 PM
AAL763
Atlas/Polar
112
12-10-2016 04:13 PM
ProceedOnCourse
Hiring News
23
08-16-2009 06:40 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 07:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices