Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #41  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blulavboy View Post
Well, I wouldn't say its all that busy, just yet. This based mostly because the majority of my training hasn't been completed as yet and hence I'm unable to really sign off on anything and really deal with any issues from a regulatory standpoint. I would expect this to change when I come up on my one year anniversary and my training is complete and I recieve my 110A.
At that point, I will be probably assigned to a particular certificate and wind up going to school for a particular fleet type.

To pass the time whilst in between my OKC stints, there's plenty of E-learning and riding along with some of the other guys to certificate holders HQ and the airports.
It's a different way of life, no question to that! Coming from a flying background is a big adjustment, however I've gotten a few full passports and alot of boxes checked along the way. My point being is that the instability of many of the segments of the flying world and the possibility of moving around in the FAA is what really drove me here.

Who knows what's going to come from the sequestration deal, not like there's anything I can do about it anyway, so I'll just keep my head down for the time being until my proby time is up.....
It sounds like you have a great background for the job and will hopefully be able to bring a ration of common sense into the job, though JO said that ideas run deep in that office, but each office is different.

I had a CRM class with a retired JAL CA about 2 years ago. There is certainly a mixture of expereince out there it seems. You mentioned in an earlier post that your initial class seemed to be a 50/50% mix of civilian and military.can you give other readers a more detailed breakdown of the types of expereince you saw in your training? We've had a few posters on APC asking for some information and have, including you, at least 2 or 3 current ASIs who participate. People curently going through training though are always a latest and greatest source of info for what it takes to break in or what they can initially expect in the job.
USMCFLYR is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #42  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Back on the "light" side...
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
It sounds like you have a great background for the job and will hopefully be able to bring a ration of common sense into the job, though JO said that ideas run deep in that office, but each office is different.

I had a CRM class with a retired JAL CA about 2 years ago. There is certainly a mixture of expereince out there it seems. You mentioned in an earlier post that your initial class seemed to be a 50/50% mix of civilian and military.can you give other readers a more detailed breakdown of the types of expereince you saw in your training? We've had a few posters on APC asking for some information and have, including you, at least 2 or 3 current ASIs who participate. People curently going through training though are always a latest and greatest source of info for what it takes to break in or what they can initially expect in the job.
Well, lets see as far as the class makeup goes...The age range was about 28 through 65. I'd say the average was around 40ish, with the majority of folks in their late 40s to early 50s.
There were only two women which were cabin safety folks. There was an almost even mix between the ops side and maintenance. There were just a few airworthiness and a few avionics folks as well.

I wanna say that only a few were recently out of the military with the majority having been out for years. There were only a few folks still doing the reserve thing.
With respect to where everyone was from...Let me see what cities I can recall:
Anchorage
LAX
SEA
DTW
DFW
HOU
ATL
MIA
NY/TEB
DC
CAE

I seem to recall that many had their paperwork in for a long time and only a few for a short time.

There were only a few air carrier like me, with almost 90% heading to the GA side....
blulavboy is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #43  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blulavboy View Post
Well, lets see as far as the class makeup goes...The age range was about 28 through 65. I'd say the average was around 40ish, with the majority of folks in their late 40s to early 50s.
There were only two women which were cabin safety folks. There was an almost even mix between the ops side and maintenance. There were just a few airworthiness and a few avionics folks as well.

I wanna say that only a few were recently out of the military with the majority having been out for years. There were only a few folks still doing the reserve thing.
With respect to where everyone was from...Let me see what cities I can recall:
Anchorage
LAX
SEA
DTW
DFW
HOU
ATL
MIA
NY/TEB
DC
CAE

I seem to recall that many had their paperwork in for a long time and only a few for a short time.

There were only a few air carrier like me, with almost 90% heading to the GA side....
With that age range it sounds like they mostly are hiring people with a good amount of experience in the different specialities.
As far as air carrier -vs- GA - - is that a request you make when you hire, an specific announcement that you apply for, or a chance to move between the two during the job?
USMCFLYR is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #44  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Back on the "light" side...
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
With that age range it sounds like they mostly are hiring people with a good amount of experience in the different specialities.
As far as air carrier -vs- GA - - is that a request you make when you hire, an specific announcement that you apply for, or a chance to move between the two during the job?
Yea, I would say so. However the younger guys really didnt have much flying experience after their flight instruction days. There were a handful of ex-regional guys that gave up on the prospect of upgrading or going to the majors.

I applied specifically for the 121 side, partly because I had no interest in the GA side and I was lacking in the minor requirment of not having my CFI's. The 121 side didn't require the CFI's. The chances of getting to a GA office are much greater than a 121 office simply because there's more of them.
blulavboy is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #45  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player
Posts: 3,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blulavboy View Post
There were only two women which were cabin safety folks. There was an almost even mix between the ops side and maintenance. There were just a few airworthiness and a few avionics folks as well.
Airworthiness is Maintenance. Maybe you meant to say Avionics or that they work for ACO? Three basic specialties within the realm of ASI, Ops, Maintenance (airworthiness) and Avionics. They are kind of within Maintenance/Airworthiness as well, but more of a specialty within obviously. They usually know a lot about the general recordkeeping for maintenance and alterations, plus all the TSO and other requirements for avionics.
JamesNoBrakes is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #46  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Back on the "light" side...
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Airworthiness is Maintenance. Maybe you meant to say Avionics or that they work for ACO? Three basic specialties within the realm of ASI, Ops, Maintenance (airworthiness) and Avionics. They are kind of within Maintenance/Airworthiness as well, but more of a specialty within obviously. They usually know a lot about the general recordkeeping for maintenance and alterations, plus all the TSO and other requirements for avionics.
Yep, pretty much what you said....to simplify the numbers in class we had an almost even split of maintenance vs. ops folks. There wasn't anyone from ACO(Aircraft Cert Office) or the AEG(Aircraft Eval. Group)
blulavboy is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #47  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the info blulavboy.

So what happens when/if the govt cuts into the FAA? Is it like a furlough from an airline where you are called back by seniority/doh or are you just laid off and have to reapply for your job? Or is it just furlough "days" for everyone?
berks is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #48  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berks View Post
Thanks for the info blulavboy.

So what happens when/if the govt cuts into the FAA? Is it like a furlough from an airline where you are called back by seniority/doh or are you just laid off and have to reapply for your job? Or is it just furlough "days" for everyone?
Since you didn't ask about ASIs in-particular, I'll add to this thread with what my office is being told.
Furlough will be by seniority within the office, but it isn't like an airline furlough for at least permanent employees.
There will be furlough days. Maximum of 2 days per pay day, minimum of 1 per pay day.
USMCFLYR is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #49  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Back on the "light" side...
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Since you didn't ask about ASIs in-particular, I'll add to this thread with what my office is being told.
Furlough will be by seniority within the office, but it isn't like an airline furlough for at least permanent employees.
There will be furlough days. Maximum of 2 days per pay day, minimum of 1 per pay day.
We had our "all hands meeting" last week and one of the big wigs from our region came in and basically said the same thing. There's no furlough like most of us have experienced with flying jobs in the past, they'll just take a day of two away per pay period. The upside to this would be having not to commute each day for between 3-4 hours.
blulavboy is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #50  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blulavboy View Post
We had our "all hands meeting" last week and one of the big wigs from our region came in and basically said the same thing. There's no furlough like most of us have experienced with flying jobs in the past, they'll just take a day of two away per pay period. The upside to this would be having not to commute each day for between 3-4 hours.
Wow! Is there any chance of telecommuting in your field/office?
USMCFLYR is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAA investigates actions of traffic controllers vagabond Major 53 03-19-2019 07:17 PM
IPA Legal Update: IPA v. FAA/Cargo Airline A FEtrip7 Cargo 38 02-16-2012 02:25 PM
Anyone heard anything about the new bill? USMC3197 Regional 66 11-12-2009 06:54 PM
FAA sets up high-level alerts for missed airline inspections CRJ1000 Major 1 04-19-2008 02:15 AM
FedEx Says FAA Rule Could Delay Deliveries Freightbird Cargo 9 04-26-2007 04:31 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:04 PM.