Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: King Air 350 Captain

Originally Posted by Tankerds View Post
Still looking at around a year under current conditions
Thanks to you as well!
Old 05-21-2021, 06:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

In my experience as a check pilot, most of the guys I get for upgrade are around the 15 month mark. It seems to be shortening however.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:27 PM
Line Holder

I have an upcoming class date with gama for the King Air.

I have been using the company-provided headsets at my previous two 121 jobs. Both of those have been jets. I understand turboprops are significantly louder. Does the company have headsets on the aircraft and if so are they enough? Should I look into getting a good pair of ANR headsets for myself?

Are there any delays for being sent out for OE at the moment after training?

Any other tips or info anyone deems useful would also be appreciated. Feel free to reply here or private message me.

I am very accustomed to syle of 121 training programs, and it sounded like the training here runs very similarly. That said... I am coming from a wide body and I have never flown a turboprop. I could use some pointers and a bit more relevant perspective.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by WinggedHussars View Post
I have an upcoming class date with gama for the King Air.

I have been using the company-provided headsets at my previous two 121 jobs. Both of those have been jets. I understand turboprops are significantly louder. Does the company have headsets on the aircraft and if so are they enough? Should I look into getting a good pair of ANR headsets for myself?

Are there any delays for being sent out for OE at the moment after training?

Any other tips or info anyone deems useful would also be appreciated. Feel free to reply here or private message me.

I am very accustomed to syle of 121 training programs, and it sounded like the training here runs very similarly. That said... I am coming from a wide body and I have never flown a turboprop. I could use some pointers and a bit more relevant perspective.

Don’t buy a headset, all aircraft have Bose a20 and they’re great. I don’t believe there are any training delays right now, but others in the training dept on here will know more.

My only advice to you as another former 121 guy, be prepared for a completely different kind of flying. There’s very little hand holding, a lot more hard work and sweat for a lot less pay. Be ready to load bags, cleanup after passengers and change the lav. You will sweat a lot, have much longer days then is legally allowed in 121 (up to 14 hours with 5-6 legs potentially) followed by min rest (10 hours) for multiple days in a row. It’s fun flying, far more fun then the typical 121 stuff, but it’s a lot more work.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I can’t speak for if Gama/WU provides headsets, but as a King Air 200/350 guy myself, a good noise canceling headset is a must. Bose or Lightspeed work great. You will do fine no doubt with your experience, but during V1 cuts, rudder is a must, and rudder trim will help you keep it on the centerline.

I personally think the King Air is a fun and pretty easy plane to fly, I’m sure you will enjoy it, it’s just not fast like what I’m sure your accustomed too.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:48 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Tankerds View Post
Don’t buy a headset, all aircraft have Bose a20 and they’re great. I don’t believe there are any training delays right now, but others in the training dept on here will know more.

My only advice to you as another former 121 guy, be prepared for a completely different kind of flying. There’s very little hand holding, a lot more hard work and sweat for a lot less pay. Be ready to load bags, cleanup after passengers and change the lav. You will sweat a lot, have much longer days then is legally allowed in 121 (up to 14 hours with 5-6 legs potentially) followed by min rest (10 hours) for multiple days in a row. It’s fun flying, far more fun then the typical 121 stuff, but it’s a lot more work.
This is really good info thank you!
Old 05-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
I can’t speak for if Gama/WU provides headsets, but as a King Air 200/350 guy myself, a good noise canceling headset is a must. Bose or Lightspeed work great. You will do fine no doubt with your experience, but during V1 cuts, rudder is a must, and rudder trim will help you keep it on the centerline.

I personally think the King Air is a fun and pretty easy plane to fly, I’m sure you will enjoy it, it’s just not fast like what I’m sure your accustomed too.
Good to know, thank you. Yeah, the V1 cuts I anticipate being the biggest adjustment. Props have a lot more working against you and have a lot less tech to assist you. Not sure what the 350i has in the way of mitigation there, but I still expect it to be a handful. That and, yes I am used to much higher speeds, and incidentally, flaring at 50 feet RA. It is going to take some mental fortitude to override my subconscious telling me if I don't start my flare I'm going to die. I used to see that all the time as a CFI, now that's me.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Using the aircraft headsets - any, is a great way to get sick. It is a well proven vector for spreading sickness. Do yourself a favor and get your own pair, and don't lend them out!
Old 05-28-2021, 02:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by WinggedHussars View Post
Good to know, thank you. Yeah, the V1 cuts I anticipate being the biggest adjustment. Props have a lot more working against you and have a lot less tech to assist you. Not sure what the 350i has in the way of mitigation there, but I still expect it to be a handful. That and, yes I am used to much higher speeds, and incidentally, flaring at 50 feet RA. It is going to take some mental fortitude to override my subconscious telling me if I don't start my flare I'm going to die. I used to see that all the time as a CFI, now that's me.
V1s are relatively docile in the 350, as long as the auto feather does its job.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2021
Default Few questions

What is the plan with all the acquisitions? Will they merge all certificates into one? Can pilots currently bid between fleets and certificates? Are more acquisitions planned? How does seniority merge after an acquisition?

Is the pilot group thinking of going the union route? Becoming a publicly traded company, and the company having the shareholders their top priority, unionization seems kind of important???

Any latest and greatest or potential upcoming announcements in regards to pay and benefits?

Thanks!