Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

tbmpilot 11-19-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1087852)
Can someone share a Chieftain new hire AMF pilots typical weekly schedule with times

M-F Leave super early; get home super late. Rest. Repeat.

ATOP40 11-19-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tbmpilot (Post 1087959)
M-F Leave super early; get home super late. Rest. Repeat.

What do pilot do during the day in the cities they are spending the day waiting for their evening returns back to OAK?

tbmpilot 11-19-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1088091)
What do pilot do during the day in the cities they are spending the day waiting for their evening returns back to OAK?

Rest, because you won't get enough at night
Find a girlfriend
Work out
Play golf
Consulting work
On-line College Courses
Go to movies
Clean the crew apartment (nevermind, no one does that)
[your flavor here...]

As many pilots as there are, that many different things have been done.

BeardedFlyer 12-04-2011 10:02 AM

As I talk to other pilots about AMF, I seem to hear more negatives then positives. Most of the time I think they are being too critical. I have no problem with long, crappy hours for a year or two to get my resume where it needs to be but I have a question about loading the freight. I'm told the pilots do all the loading and unloading is this true? I'm hearing about guys getting hernias and herniated disks from some of the stuff being so heavy and not getting any help with the lifting. Is this actually something I should be concerned about or am I getting bogus info?

cfouriv 12-04-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1096354)
As I talk to other pilots about AMF, I seem to hear more negatives then positives. Most of the time I think they are being too critical. I have no problem with long, crappy hours for a year or two to get my resume where it needs to be but I have a question about loading the freight. I'm told the pilots do all the loading and unloading is this true? I'm hearing about guys getting hernias and herniated disks from some of the stuff being so heavy and not getting any help with the lifting. Is this actually something I should be concerned about or am I getting bogus info?

It depends on the run whether you help with the loading and unloading. Chances are you will have to help though. If the package is too heavy get help. It's up to you to know your limits. As for the positives and negatives this is a good job to build your time and resume. It is possible to upgrade quickly and even get an ATP type in less than a year. As far as I'm concerned Ameriflights positives out way the negatives. It is not an easy way of life and the QOL can be tough, but if your willing to move around and focus on building your time, you can get over 1000 tpic in two years or less and go from there.

freightdog 12-04-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1096354)

It depends on bases and runs. Some places have a plethora of ramp help (ie a UPS, FedEx, DHL hub) and all you have to do is direct the loading. At the destinations away from a UPS, FedEx, DHL hub where it's only you and one driver then you are expected to help. It's in our employee handbook and just like cfouriv said, if it's too heavy for just you or both of you to lift then get help. The freight doesn't move until you get help. Our Flight Department backs up our pilots on this issue because it costs the company money to have pilots out on medical with back problems.

mwf008 12-04-2011 09:59 PM

I very rarely touched a box after getting into the Metro/1900. In the chieftain I can't recall ever lifting a sac o checks that was heavy enough to cause any hernias/back problems. Don't let the negative whiners sway you from a good job. Its what you make it; if you're positive you'll leave there with some good experience and probably even miss it. BTW, I lift much heavier pieces of luggage flying corporate jets than any boxes I ever lifted at AMF. Is that a reason for me to be negative about my current job? Hell no...

BeardedFlyer 12-04-2011 10:46 PM

Doesn't seem too bad at all. I really appreciate the first hand info from all of you on here, thanks again.

freightdog 12-05-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mwf008 (Post 1096659)
I very rarely touched a box after getting into the Metro/1900. In the chieftain I can't recall ever lifting a sac o checks that was heavy enough to cause any hernias/back problems. Don't let the negative whiners sway you from a good job. Its what you make it; if you're positive you'll leave there with some good experience and probably even miss it. BTW, I lift much heavier pieces of luggage flying corporate jets than any boxes I ever lifted at AMF. Is that a reason for me to be negative about my current job? Hell no...

Same here, When I got in the Metro, it's been going on 4 years now, I can count on two hands the times that I have had to load/unload and entire Metro all by myself. And honestly only about 2-3 times that I had to get help from a UPS driver with an over sized package. Plus, it helps to stay in shape! :D

AZFlyer 12-05-2011 03:51 PM

I have read through most of this thread and don't think I saw much discussion of PHX. What's the scoop with AMF at PHX? Senior/junior, good trips, etc? I've noticed from being around the airport that it seems that everything from the AMF fleet has representation in PHX. I like that. Living 2 miles from PHX, it would be my first choice.

Thanks for the info.