Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

BeardedFlyer 09-22-2011 02:04 PM

Quick AMF question but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'm probably at least 18 months away from hitting 135 ifr mins but as soon as I do I'm applying to AMF as my first choice. I live right next to the PDX base and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and go in for a visit, tell them I'm a local low time pilot just interested in checking out their base and maybe talking to a few pilots. What kind of response do you think I'll get? I am planning on calling the base but I wanted to try and get some opinions on here before I do.

Also, does anyone have any info on AMF and hazardous cargo? One of their B1900 guys I met told me that certain runs haul some items that could be potentially bad for your health. Anyone else heard or know anything about this?

Thanks!

jcrews 10-04-2011 05:04 AM


Originally Posted by TangoBar (Post 245465)
PDX has a good mix of equipment- PA-31, BE-99, 1 BE-1900, a few Metros. .

Is this still the case? Which aircraft are based at BUR and OAK?

frmrbuffdrvr 10-04-2011 06:18 AM


Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1058545)
Quick AMF question but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'm probably at least 18 months away from hitting 135 ifr mins but as soon as I do I'm applying to AMF as my first choice. I live right next to the PDX base and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and go in for a visit, tell them I'm a local low time pilot just interested in checking out their base and maybe talking to a few pilots. What kind of response do you think I'll get? I am planning on calling the base but I wanted to try and get some opinions on here before I do.

Also, does anyone have any info on AMF and hazardous cargo? One of their B1900 guys I met told me that certain runs haul some items that could be potentially bad for your health. Anyone else heard or know anything about this?

Thanks!


Go ahead and give them a call. Ask for the ACP.

As for hazmat, yes, we haul hazmat cargo. As for "bad for your health", a lot of it, if it were to spill or something, would fall into this category. But if you follow proper procedures, there is no problem.

frmrbuffdrvr 10-04-2011 06:21 AM


Originally Posted by jcrews (Post 1064453)
Is this still the case? Which aircraft are based at BUR and OAK?

I can't speak to exact numbers, but both BUR and OAK have some of everything we fly except the E120. There are only 8 of those in the fleet with 3 just in Dallas. The rest are in BFI, CVG, PHX and SJU (2).

Earl81 10-04-2011 06:25 PM


Originally Posted by jcrews (Post 1064453)
Is this still the case? Which aircraft are based at BUR and OAK?

PDX has pa-31's, be-99's, 1 1900 but no metros.

Not sure exactly what OAK has nowadays

BUR/ONT has pa-31's, be-99's, metro's, and 1900's

Oldog 10-04-2011 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1058545)
Quick AMF question but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'm probably at least 18 months away from hitting 135 ifr mins but as soon as I do I'm applying to AMF as my first choice. I live right next to the PDX base and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and go in for a visit, tell them I'm a local low time pilot just interested in checking out their base and maybe talking to a few pilots. What kind of response do you think I'll get? I am planning on calling the base but I wanted to try and get some opinions on here before I do.

Also, does anyone have any info on AMF and hazardous cargo? One of their B1900 guys I met told me that certain runs haul some items that could be potentially bad for your health. Anyone else heard or know anything about this?

Thanks!

Re HazMat -- Ameriflight IS approved to carry HazMat, as required by UPS, FedEx, and DHL. The company is also one of a very few operators with a special DOT permit to carry high transport index radioactives. Ameriflight is also very careful with the stuff and has an excellent safety record.

jcrews 10-05-2011 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by Earl81 (Post 1064870)
PDX has pa-31's, be-99's, 1 1900 but no metros.

Not sure exactly what OAK has nowadays

BUR/ONT has pa-31's, be-99's, metro's, and 1900's

Thanks for the info. Are BUR/ONT pretty senior bases?

Earl81 10-05-2011 01:25 PM

I would have to look into BUR/ONT if you could get based there quickly. It's usually PDX or OAK when you start but it's also what the company needs at the time...

ImperialxRat 10-05-2011 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by jcrews (Post 1065133)
Thanks for the info. Are BUR/ONT pretty senior bases?

They higher into where the vacancies are... when I got hired at AMF I went directly to BUR. Another guy that got Burbank with me just told them in the interview that he would really like to work for the company, but can only accept Burbank due to family and lifestyle.

jcrews 10-06-2011 03:55 AM


Originally Posted by ImperialxRat (Post 1065346)
They higher into where the vacancies are... when I got hired at AMF I went directly to BUR. Another guy that got Burbank with me just told them in the interview that he would really like to work for the company, but can only accept Burbank due to family and lifestyle.

Ok, thanks. Good to know it's a possiblity. I miss California.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:02 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands