Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

ATOP40 01-08-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by flywithjohn (Post 1113852)
Well my answer is just a guess since I never flew for Ameriflight, but I have close friends that do and my understanding is that the wash-out rate is extremely high. My old instructor said his class on the 99 started out with 12 and only 3 graduated.

As for the reason they quite from what I hear is stagnation and the routine. Some of their bases are black holes that ounce you get into it there is no getting out. They get hired thinking "yeah, turbine PIC time, I'll be at FedEx in two years". Then 6 months goes by they logged 200 hrs, can't upgrade or bid another station, the get stagnated and they want to shoot themselves to get out of flying the same run.

Another complaint I'm told is your given something like three days notification before a line check, which is not much time to prepare for one. That could be another reason I guess.

At least that is the complaints I hear. I suppose it is like any other airline: pay, quality of life and seniority bid. Whether it is Downtown Aviation to Pinnacle or Lufthansa to FedEx, there will always be something you don't like and it will drive to look elsewhere.

With an airline industry that has largely stopped hiring for the time being and AMF hiring 10 a month, this analogy would make sense with the numbers.

Thanks for sharing. Compared to other airlines I am surprised how little information is readily available to AMF's own pilots. I have researched this industry very thoroughly and AMF is different in regards to the information available. If anyone can help me to see where the last few classes have been based, that would help enormously.

One additional question I have if lets say you get a base out of class and want to move to another base. With the movement AMF now has, if there is a vacancy in another base with the equipment you are currently trained, does it work like other airlines that the opening would be awarded on a seniority basis?

Thanks again.

flywithjohn 01-08-2012 04:26 PM

Well it is sorta a fly by night operation ;) I can ask where the last classes were based this coming week, but I believe Portland.

I know the the general rule of thumb is for you to go to another station that you have to have someone else lined up to replace you. So in theory yes you can transfer to another base on the same equipment or possibly another type, but you have to have someone to take your place, and that is where the problem is. AMF seniority does not operate like the rest of the industry, which is why it is easy to gain seniority there but it means very little in the grand scheme of things. Or so that is my understanding. But I have heard of some people making a career out of it, I believe one there more famous pilots just retired, but I do not recall his name.

dino1pilot 01-19-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DirectTo (Post 1111914)
Many ex-airliners over there? I'm looking to jump ship and have always thought AMF was a cool deal.

Lets put it this way, AMF is a blackhole for many and I don't know anyone who has come from the 121 side. Everyone I know, and its quite a few, have bailed and moved to the regionals just to get away from it. These are guys and gals that have over 1000 PIC Turbine hours with no way out but to take a pay cut and sit in the right seat of an RJ. The biggest complaint......Management!! I saw another post that people only stay 3-5 years.....well yeah, the hours suck and pilots are treated like second class citizens. What I was never able to wrap my head around is if management made just a few improvements the company would be a great place to work for but that will never happen.

Oldog 01-24-2012 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1113607)
With zero growth that would mean a turnover rate of over 50% a year which far out of the norm.

What are your take(s) on this unusually large turnover?

Ameriflight long ago resigned itself to the fact that the company serves as a training ground for big-airline pilots. Its turnover rate varies directly with the hirng activity taking place in the larger iron. Will you make $200,000 per year and fly four engine jets around the world? No. Will you get good training, learn how to keep yourself alive in an airplane while dealing with schedules, loads, and weather? Yes. Will you get to smell like jet fuel instead fo AvGas when you go home (a little joke) -- will you get valuable turbine PIC time? Yes; AMF has been an important stepping stone in the careers of thousands of pilots during the 40+ years the company has been in business. Is it dangerous and horrible? The company just passed 500,000 in-company flight hours without a fatal accident; judge for yourself. Is it the perfect place to work? No. But -- look at the other pilot forums and you'll find plenty of disgruntled pilots posting their gripes while flying for the big airlines too. Ameriflight is a GREAT place to build experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Oldog 01-24-2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1098055)
That does help. Thank you.

Losing up to 30% of your pilots a year can be telling. I believe you will never know if its your thing until you try. On paper it doesn't sound tough. But reality often times is different from perception.

Be sure you don't misinterpret the significance of "Losing up to 30% of your pilots a year." In most cases they're taking the experience they've gained at Ameriflight and moving on up the rungs of the aviation ladder, not leaving because the hate the job. AMF's turnover varies directly with hiring activity at the airlines.

freightdog 01-25-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 1122344)
Ameriflight long ago resigned itself to the fact that the company serves as a training ground for big-airline pilots. Its turnover rate varies directly with the hirng activity taking place in the larger iron. Will you make $200,000 per year and fly four engine jets around the world? No. Will you get good training, learn how to keep yourself alive in an airplane while dealing with schedules, loads, and weather? Yes. Will you get to smell like jet fuel instead fo AvGas when you go home (a little joke) -- will you get valuable turbine PIC time? Yes; AMF has been an important stepping stone in the careers of thousands of pilots during the 40+ years the company has been in business. Is it dangerous and horrible? The company just passed 500,000 in-company flight hours without a fatal accident; judge for yourself. Is it the perfect place to work? No. But -- look at the other pilot forums and you'll find plenty of disgruntled pilots posting their gripes while flying for the big airlines too. Ameriflight is a GREAT place to build experience. Take it for what it's worth.

^^^THIS, and this is coming from a guy who has literally done it all in aviation. Enjoy your retirement John, you will be missed around here.

tbmpilot 01-26-2012 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 1122344)
AMF has been an important stepping stone in the careers of thousands of pilots during the 40+ years the company has been in business. Ameriflight is a GREAT place to build experience. Take it for what it's worth.

I recently left AMF after 3.5 years there. At first, I hated it, but then learned to adapt and fit in (basically - show up, shut up, don't break anything, and get along with others - funny that's how most jobs work). I miss the flying and the people.

Going to Ameriflight was the best thing I ever did. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be flying a Citation 650, King Air 200, and Helicopter today.

Life is what you make of it.

John - I didn't know you retired. Godspeed. Thanks for your example.

beech350guy 02-01-2012 11:15 PM

Hey guys, I saw that the chief pilot position at AMF is being advertised..... What's the story behind that?

Whistlin' Dan 02-02-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by flywithjohn (Post 1113852)
Another complaint I'm told is your given something like three days notification before a line check, which is not much time to prepare for one. That could be another reason I guess.

That's three days more than they'll get at most companies. If they need three days to prepare for a line check then they are fortunate indeed to be working for Ameriflight. It's likely to be the pinnacle of their professional careers.

Working for Ameriflight is like having an affair on weekend layover. You both know it isn't going to last forever because neither of you wants it to last forever. That doesn't mean it's not grand fun while it lasts, or that you won't look back on it many years from now with great fondness. But once your batteries are charged, the affair has run it's course. You "Friend" them on Facebook and move on...

needtofly 02-04-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Whistlin' Dan (Post 1127849)
That's three days more than they'll get at most companies. If they need three days to prepare for a line check then they are fortunate indeed to be working for Ameriflight. It's likely to be the pinnacle of their professional careers.

Working for Ameriflight is like having an affair on weekend layover. You both know it isn't going to last forever because neither of you wants it to last forever. That doesn't mean it's not grand fun while it lasts, or that you won't look back on it many years from now with great fondness. But once your batteries are charged, the affair has run it's course. You "Friend" them on Facebook and move on...

That is really funny and true!! I flew for them back in the early nineties for 4 years (man am I getting old) and it was great fun. Yes were some people a pain in the ass.....sure, but show me a job where everyone is perfect. The flying was awesome, I flew along the West Coast and mainly out of SEA in our great weather. What a fun challenge and character builder in the ice, snow, wind, fog, and RAIN!!! I was home every night and weekend and new what my schedule would be for months at a time. I didn't have to commute or sit on my ass for hours as I have done in the heavy metal. I have great memories of AMF and would do it all over again. Flying single pilot in 99s or 1900s with little or no cargo (and no company radar) was the best flying I have every done. If I can impart any advise to someone looking to build excellent skills and turbine PIC time I would highly recommend AMF. No I am not smoking anything or from management. :D