Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Luv2Rotate 01-08-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 740722)
Pay for play? Don't do it, you will hate yourself in the morning.

Sure you can pay to play. Gives me a chance to finish my coffee while you load the boxes :D

brianb 01-08-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by BTPM (Post 554421)
I know that there are many out there that do not approve of people paying for time, but I would like to offer this up for your consideration. Many of you did pay to build time in a twin (Seminole/Duchess), there are many pilots out there that do not have an MEI and have built their required multi time by renting. So what is the difference between paying to gain experience in a twin turbine or paying to fly a Seminole around? I used to disapprove of "first officer" programs, until I flew with one. She was very professional, and demonstrated excellent airmanship, when she had completed her time, we hired her into a Brasilia. I believe that she is now a Captain at Republic. This young woman knew that she did not want to instruct, and she felt that she could better herself professionally through a 'first officer' program, and she was correct. She personally changed my opinion about these programs. I think in the right environment these programs can be excellent as they teach young pilots how things work in the real world. Lets face it, instructors out there are just baby pilots themselves, and have no idea how 135 or 121 operators actually do it in the real world. Just remember what you get out of an experience is what you put into an experience.

Did you really ask this question without giving it some serious thought? If you pay one company to fly their airplanes , what's to stop the others from doing the same? Would you pay every company a "fee" for the privilege of flying for them. If you were hired by UAL and then had to pay them $50,000.00 to sit in the right seat, what would you think? Get hired because you have the qualifications and the "right" stuff. Besides, if you had ten grand, you could take most of the pilots on this forum out to a swell dinner.

propjunkie 01-08-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 740730)
Sure you can pay to play. Gives me a chance to finish my coffee while you load the boxes :D

Or do the preflight in the freezing rain while I sit in the recliners and act important!:cool:

brianb 01-08-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by propjunkie (Post 740740)
Or do the preflight in the freezing rain while I sit in the recliners and act important!:cool:

Or maybe I could read the company ops manuel and better myself in the companys eyes and then write out another check so I could sit right seat in the Learjet. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

propjunkie 01-09-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 740745)
Or maybe I could read the company ops manuel and better myself in the companys eyes and then write out another check so I could sit right seat in the Learjet. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That wont work either. we parked all the lears

Luv2Rotate 01-09-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 740745)

Who will see you reading the ops manuel out in Pendelton or Red Bluff??? Besideds no time to read when there's boxes to be loeaded! :D

Oh, I can get ya a discounted rate for the Lear... Just make it out to me and I'll forward your request

jedinein 01-09-2010 03:17 PM

For all those wondering about not getting called, consider that the stack of resumes on the desk of the pilot recruiter(s) exceed the stack on my desk. My flight school hasn't hired in three years, yet the stack of resumes from the last two months exceeds five inches. I'm sure Ameriflight's stack exceeds two feet.

Next, consider your time. Are you one of the children of the pink line? Was your last IPC in a glass cockpit aircraft? Did you just graduate from flight school and have zero to little IMC time? Are you out there actively instructing and taking your students into the clouds as the weather allows? Are you doing whatever you can to meet the image of a pilot flying single pilot IFR, and night hard IMC at that?

Or are you sitting around your Mom's basement feeling sad for yourself because you think no one is hiring from all the online apps you've filled out?

There *are* opportunities out there. Perhaps those opportunities are in east bumnowhere, or you might need five roommates to make the rent payment, or it's not where you want to live today? If you really want to get a job, get out of the house and go meet people. It's not always successful, and sometimes you get to do what you don't want to do, or get paid a lot less than you want, or fly something other than a shiny whatever, but there ARE opportunities out there. Cast a wide net, go out and meet people, get out and ask questions, and keep trying.

Best of luck all!

propjunkie 01-09-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cflight (Post 739355)
Does anybody know what is competitive at AMF?

just over 135 mins

TheFly 01-09-2010 03:55 PM

Sounds like a flight instructor move.....go preflight.

undflyboy06 01-09-2010 05:10 PM

Out of 8 pilots that were in my class, only 1 was a flight instructor. The rest were all furloughed 121 guys. It might not be the dream job that I wanted, but being home every night, having weekends off and paid federal holidays off makes it very doable. A lot more doable then at a regional or even a major unless you are very senior.