Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Get over the shiny jet syndrome, find out what really matters in life, make your own decisions, mark of maturity.
Who said anything about shiny jet syndrome? The mark of maturity is realizing you spent 100,000 dollars on your degree and ratings so you should try to make the most money, be the most secure, and be with a company that contributes to your retirement. Choosing to work 22 days a month to cap out at 80 grand in 20 years is an extremely immature decision.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

Not to pour gas on the coals to reignite our passionate discussion, but I'm the one with the agenda? Not the guy who left half a decade ago and still can't put it behind him?
Valid point. My agenda is to try dispel the fairytale that some employees try to give potential employees. It annoys me to see lies posted on forums that new pilots eat up. I would love to see a poll taken on the percentage of former AMF pilots who feel like they what they were told, and the reality of what they experienced were vastly different.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Your equation is different than mine. So are your priorities.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

"extremely" different
Old 09-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet
Default Ameriflight

Your equation is different than mine. So are your priorities.

I can't think of a set of priorities that this place would satisfy long term. You value family and QOL? Good luck here! In station? Work 12-14 hour days, and a half day (7-8 hours) on Saturday. Outstation? Enjoy 5 nights a week alone in a ***tty crash pad or a hotel away from your spouse and kids. You want financial security? You top out under $80K here. Oh, and no Union either.

I look at people who have been here over 5 years and wonder what is wrong with them. Do they have DUIs, violations, felonies? Are they so weird nobody else will hire them? Do they have no professional aspirations?

You get hired here and that's it. It never gets any better. The most senior pilot on the list got his vacation cancelled this summer, over 20 years here and they couldn't TDY a guy to cover his run so he could go on vacation with his family. You know what the senior pilots get that the new hire doesn't? Not a damn thing. Same crappy runs, same difficulty in getting management to address their concerns, etc. At least a regional gets better with time.

This is a good place to come to if you want quick TPIC and multi time. Do your time and LEAVE. A good (debatable) job will keep you from getting a great if you aren't careful.

This would be a wretched place to spend 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
I can't think of a set of priorities that this place would satisfy long term. You value family and QOL? Good luck here! In station? Work 12-14 hour days, and a half day (7-8 hours) on Saturday. Outstation? Enjoy 5 nights a week alone in a ***tty crash pad or a hotel away from your spouse and kids. You want financial security? You top out under $80K here. Oh, and no Union either.

I look at people who have been here over 5 years and wonder what is wrong with them. Do they have DUIs, violations, felonies? Are they so weird nobody else will hire them? Do they have no professional aspirations?

You get hired here and that's it. It never gets any better. The most senior pilot on the list got his vacation cancelled this summer, over 20 years here and they couldn't TDY a guy to cover his run so he could go on vacation with his family. You know what the senior pilots get that the new hire doesn't? Not a damn thing. Same crappy runs, same difficulty in getting management to address their concerns, etc. At least a regional gets better with time.

This is a good place to come to if you want quick TPIC and multi time. Do your time and LEAVE. A good (debatable) job will keep you from getting a great if you aren't careful.

There is nobody that stays at Ameriflight as a career, that also has drive or self respect. Those two don't go hand in hand. Every "lifer" outside of upper management I have had the pleasure of interacting with has had a real screw loose.

Own Nav is right. I am a jerk who makes inappropriate comments. But that's because I'm not ok with settling. Again it comes back to what I've said over and over. Be realistic about the job and what it is. Use it for what it is and nothing more, nothing less. I have flown with 2 ex AMF Lear guys who only left AMF because the Lear program dried up. They were both in their 60s, in huge financial debt, and had to fly on their days off to pay their mortgages. That's a pathetic existence that AMF lifers don't consider at the time. AMF is good for what it is, a career destination in any capacity it is certainly not.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post

You speak in the heat of the moment, and apply it to 30 years. You really think this pilot shortage is going to last that long? I don't think so.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Banned

You speak in the heat of the moment, and apply it to 30 years. You really think this pilot shortage is going to last that long? I don't think so.
So what's the angle then? Stay at the bottom because it's better than progressing and having the slim possibility of being furloughed?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet
Default Ameriflight

Who cares if it does or doesn't? If you move on and get furloughed in 20 years, bottom feeder cargo companies will always be around. And don't kid yourself, AMF is a bottom feeder. Redding Aero is advertising 5-6K a MONTH to fly cargo. Key Lime is advertising 55K starting and a 4 day work schedule. Are you advocating that after the pilot shortage is over in 2030 we will all have to go back to cargo? No, hopefully we will all be close to retirement NOT flying a Metro held together with high speed tape and MEL stickers. It's like you are starving, and someone is offering you food for a decade or 2, and you want to refuse on the grounds that you might be hungry again someday.

And I'm not taking my frustration of today and extrapolating it 30 years. The old timers I've talked to almost seem to wear it as a badge of honor how ***tty they have historically been treated. Doing mtx flights for free, Per diem denied, being not given legal rest etc. And I have no reason to think it will be better in the next 30 years.

Please, I would like to know what this place offers as a long term place of employment that's so good someone wouldn't want to leave.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

If you see a good job go for it. I've had a subscription to climbto350 for almost a year now and I personally haven't seen anything worth making a move.