Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Legacy C130 Galley Operation Instructor

Good Evening everyone... I am a current Air Force reservist looking to beef up my flying portfolio (TPIC) over the next 2 years. I have had a couple people refer me towards Ameriflight. I am curious out of the bases of MIA, SJU, and DFW which would potentially help me build hours the fastest. I am just under 900 hours and will need to FO until I get my 1,200. I am blessed that I have established accommodations at all three of these hub cities. I am in conversations to move to the PRANG to fly the RC-26 so the metro would make the most sense for me but in all honesty I love flying anything turboprop and am not picky on either of the three hub cities. I am looking to potentially apply for a class after August when my current res/active duty orders expire. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
In recent years we have had more Koreans mentoring each other. They have friends who are ahead of them in the program, and can tell them what to expect. This has a huge impact.

I'm a firm believer in GIGO. If you treat them like a passenger, then that's what you will get for a year. If you take the time to mentor them, and run things like a real 2 crew environment, you might be surprised what you get.

Occasionally, I get an FO who is either very timid or unmotivated, in which case they may sit on their hands for the rest of the flight, but in most cases I find that they can at least be trained to do an ILS down to their minimum of a mile vis, and communicate with ATC in routine dialogue. In a few cases, I would recommend them to be an AMF captain, but I'd doubt they would take it over a Korean Air 737.
That's good advice. Try to mentor them as much as you can while they are flying with you. I always tried to teach them as much as they wanted to learn. Lots of guys would just have them warm the seat, I put them to work regularly.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
That's good advice. Try to mentor them as much as you can while they are flying with you. I always tried to teach them as much as they wanted to learn. Lots of guys would just have them warm the seat, I put them to work regularly.
I remember when SH was doing recruiting and running the Korean program. If she found out a captain was only letting them "warm the seat" and not actually flying and gaining real experience she got a TAD bit upset.

I'm with the rest of the guys. I haven't personally had any really bad ones (but I have heard of a couple) and I have had some VERY good ones. There are some who come in with the "yes, Captain. Yes, Captain" mentality. IMHO those are the toughest to train. They say yes to whatever you tell them, whether they understand it or not.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Property Manager

Any Amflight peeps that enjoy freight and would like to fly as PIC on the bro for a great company and make over $100,000 a year PM me.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Quick question about AMF. How easy is it to upgrade without having to move to a different base? I'm interested in the Miami base. Really hoping to spend time at home with the family without having to move for the upgrade. Also, does anyone know how they look at helo time? Have about 2,000 hours with only 100 fixed wing. I've dug around on the forums a bit and haven't found the answer. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 PM
On Reserve

Having just reached IFR minimums, I've got an offer from AMF for the April 11th ground school. It'll be my first real flying job after a career change and I'm pretty excited about it. Naive, maybe, but don't burst my bubble.

I haven't officially accepted the spot yet because I have another temporary opportunity that I'd like to pursue, pushing back the start date at AMF. I'm just not sure that'd be kosher, or put my preferred base assignment at risk.

Anyway, just checking in, I'm on board now.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Reserve Life

Position: A320 FO

Any updates on E120 FO hiring? I just applied and have 940TT 550ME, currently Instructing at ATP Flight School. Wondering what my chances look like?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by CrosswindSolo View Post
Any updates on E120 FO hiring? I just applied and have 940TT 550ME, currently Instructing at ATP Flight School. Wondering what my chances look like?
There are only 10 E120s in the fleet, and it seems that FO slots fill quickly.

On the other hand, with your hours you would likely be eligible for the captain upgrade program, where they make you an FO on a smaller plane for a couple months, put you on high time runs, and when you are about to hit 1200 hours, you go to captain training.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:27 AM
Reserve Life

Position: A320 FO

There are only 10 E120s in the fleet, and it seems that FO slots fill quickly.

On the other hand, with your hours you would likely be eligible for the captain upgrade program, where they make you an FO on a smaller plane for a couple months, put you on high time runs, and when you are about to hit 1200 hours, you go to captain training.
Thanks for the info! Waiting to hear back from them so we'll see what happens. Cheers!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 'Van Driver

That seems to be a good program for me since I'll more than likely have at least 1000 TT by the time I'm done with my current employment obligation and ready to move on to AMF. Do you know by any chance which bases are being used for this program? Also hoping they'll have some short-term housing arrangements there since pilots probably will not be staying there for more than a couple of months while they get up to CA minimum times, right?