Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

42jeff 07-23-2016 04:49 PM

Just submitted a resume for one of the AMF jobs open in Lansing, MI. Anybody here based there? I currently live about 90 miles away but it would be all highway 131/96 so I was wondering about the policy on commuting etc. I've spoken with somebody based out of SLC but he couldn't tell me much about KLAN.

Currently a quite active CFII with 1270 TT, 64 ME so I'm crossing my fingers.

LAXative 07-24-2016 10:15 AM

How come AMF has to wear a white pilots shirt with tie to fly a TP freighter?

sobo 07-24-2016 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 2167186)

Our uniform dictates it, unless you wear the AMF Polo shirt.

davbaker 07-24-2016 06:11 PM

B99 captain or regional FO

Quick question which way is better a B99 captain or regional airline, I have 2100 hours with 423 ME Where are the B99 captains ending up?
If going B99 the best choice then why would one go to a regional?

durind 07-25-2016 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 42jeff (Post 2166806)
Just submitted a resume for one of the AMF jobs open in Lansing, MI. Anybody here based there? I currently live about 90 miles away but it would be all highway 131/96 so I was wondering about the policy on commuting etc. I've spoken with somebody based out of SLC but he couldn't tell me much about KLAN.

Currently a quite active CFII with 1270 TT, 64 ME so I'm crossing my fingers.

90 miles away is going to be a brutal commute for this position. It is Monday-Friday, one of the runs doesn't finish until 11:00pm and you have to be back at the airport at 6:00am so if you do live that far away and you are assigned that run, you might as well just start sleeping in your car. The other run wouldn't be much better, as it gets back at 9:00pm with the same morning show time. Honestly I would't live farther than a 30 minute commute, and even that would be pushing it. On top of that the positions there are all BE1900 and Metros, so you would be hard pressed to get a position there just at 135 mins and really low multi time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-25-2016 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 2167186)

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2167226)
Our uniform dictates it, unless you wear the AMF Polo shirt.

I haven't worn a white shirt since we came out with the polo. I hate to wear a tie. :cool:

Jetlife 07-25-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by davbaker (Post 2167451)
Quick question which way is better a B99 captain or regional airline, I have 2100 hours with 423 ME Where are the B99 captains ending up?

If your goal is to end up at a major, go regional without question.

C130H 07-26-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by davbaker (Post 2167451)

Rocky Calkins the head of pilot hiring at Southwest advised that I come to Ameriflight over a regional carrier in order to meet their 1,000 hour Turbine PIC requirement much quicker. BUT: One of the women that works under him did however make the comment "why would he refer you there over a regional?" after a long silence she then said "oh I forget that you are military."

LRSRanger 07-26-2016 06:06 PM

Ameriflight

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2167732)
I haven't worn a white shirt since we came out with the polo. I hate to wear a tie. :cool:

I wore shorts from American Eagle and a T-shirt just about every day. I made block times, and wasn't quitting YET, so nobody ever said a word to me about it. FWIW I was on an outstation run, and my "base" was a satellite base.

If you want to go to an airline without question pass on freight. My current corporate/charter gig valued my time flying a /A BE99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetlife 07-27-2016 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by C130H (Post 2168816)
Rocky Calkins the head of pilot hiring at Southwest advised that I come to Ameriflight over a regional carrier in order to meet their 1,000 hour Turbine PIC requirement much quicker. BUT: One of the women that works under him did however make the comment "why would he refer you there over a regional?" after a long silence she then said "oh I forget that you are military."

Southwest is in the process of lowering (if they haven't already) their TPIC requirement to 500 hours. There are only a couple of airlines that have that as a requirement, and by the time it matters for you, no airlines will have the 1,000 TPIC requirement.

Yes getting 1,000 TPIC is going to happen quicker at AMF, but there are plenty of pilots with zero TPIC who have been hired at major 121 outfits. Airline recruiters and the hiring departments are looking for "total package" over any individual hourly requirement, and SWA and FedEx will follow suit and drop the 1,000 TPIC requirement.

If you have the hours to go to AMF, then you have the hours to get a jet job at places likeTMC or go to a regional. You can skip AMF and get either 135 jet or 121 jet time and upgrades at either are going to come quick for you.

If you have the specific desire to fly single pilot IFR in antique airplanes then go to AMF, it is a unique experience and it will be some of the most challenging flying you will do. Career track wise I would say avoid it without question.