Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post
Sobo, thanks for the info. I really appreciate your help.

It seems that AMF is always advertising for PA31 pilots in PHX and ABQ (IFR as well as VFR, I'm not sure). Why? Is it because, as you say, pilots get their 1,200 hours and then move onto something like a B99? Or is there anything about the PA31 PHX and ABQ runs that people do not like?
The VFR PA31 program (in PHX and ABQ) is somewhat of a pipeline program to get you moved into either bigger equipment in our system or at the very least onto an IFR route with the PA31.

Pay for the BE99 and PA31 is equal.

Originally Posted by dvtpilot View Post
Out of curiosity, do the EMB120s all have a GPS installed and are you guys using an efb at all?
All of our EMB-120's are equipped with a Garmin 420W. However, no one in the system is approved to shoot any GPS approaches as the sim training we received does not have a GPS and we do not do any in-aircraft training or checking for the GPS.

It's basically a tool to allow you direct routing and to provide increased situational awareness.

AMF as a whole does not use an EFB. Hope you like updating Jepps manually, because you will be doing it a lot.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

[QUOTE=own nav;2260694]While I'm doing my best to stay out of the conversation (I like it when Jetlife and others bring up good valid points for discussion without getting nasty), I must say there is a missing point here.

That is, AMF has changed their pay structure to promote long term employment. While, yes, most pilots are eyeing the shiny airlners, and use Regionals and AMF as a stepping stone, there is now a more viable option to stay around longer if you don't see what you like in your options moving on.

QUOTE]

A consideration is that there is currently a pilot shortage. The carriers like AMF will have trouble hiring before the top-tier regionals will. So that is not good for long-term health of the company.

Delta is hiring tons of regional FO's now with zero TPIC time. So it's not as important now as before. We have upgrades at 1,000 hours now; Jet 121 time so you don't need to risk your ticket and life in old equipment like before. With the big 4 retiring thousands of pilots it's not likely that you would have to "stick it out" at a stepping-stone carrier. Even then, for example at my regional we have guys with 2 years on property making 100k+ per year with mainline flight benefits, healthcare, and profit sharing bonuses. I flew turboprops with no autopilot in hard IMC, it makes you a good pilot, I get it. But there are better options now.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I think the flow programs (if they actually work for the pilots, because the first Allegiant preferential agreement did not) will help a bit, but it will not shorten your length of time to go to an ULCC from AMF versus a regional.

I have heard lots of talks of flow agreements but the details have not been released from AMF that I have seen. Seems weird that they wouldn't immediately release the details on how long and what qualifications it would take to walk through the door at AMF, to then get to Frontier and Allegiant.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I think the flow programs (if they actually work for the pilots, because the first Allegiant preferential agreement did not) will help a bit, but it will not shorten your length of time to go to an ULCC from AMF versus a regional.

I have heard lots of talks of flow agreements but the details have not been released from AMF that I have seen. Seems weird that they wouldn't immediately release the details on how long and what qualifications it would take to walk through the door at AMF, to then get to Frontier and Allegiant.
We have them internally on our pilot portal. I'm sure the recruiting department is happy to tell prospects all about the flows.
  • 24 months of employment at Ameriflight.
  • 2500 total time. Which will consist of 1500 hours to ATP and 1000 hrs in type rated equipment.
  • A letter of recommendation from the VP of Flight or Chief Pilot.
  • Be in good standing with Ameriflight in regards to financial obligations and/or agreements.
  • Completed a satisfactory review by Allegiant of attendance,
  • dependability, reliability, training records and disciplinary action records.
  • Meet all of Allegiant’s standard new-hire corporate employment
  • provisions.
  • Have not failed any checking events within in the previous 18 months.
  • Have satisfactorily completed an Ameriflight checking event (initial or recurrent) within 90 days of the anticipated class date.
The frontier one is similar. In all fairness, I do not think a lot of the pilots here see any of these flows as the best way to get to the career they hope for. However, for some of the guys who stuck through the good times and bad - this may be a nice treat. These flows have quite a bit of hoops to jump through to make them work.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by sobo View Post
We have them internally on our pilot portal. I'm sure the recruiting department is happy to tell prospects all about the flows.

The frontier one is similar. In all fairness, I do not think a lot of the pilots here see any of these flows as the best way to get to the career they hope for. However, for some of the guys who stuck through the good times and bad - this may be a nice treat. These flows have quite a bit of hoops to jump through to make them work.
Those are not even remotely close to a real flow program. The entire essence of a flow program, is that there are ZERO hoops to jump through.

I really am not trying to start another argument here, but the term flow means you just go when the time comes. The stuff you listed make it so subjective and political that the chances of anyone doing it are slim. Nobody should be going to AMF with the idea of getting a job there. However if you are set on going to AMF already, then it is a nice perk should you be able to utilize it.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default maybe one of you might know what it means

I had just recently looked at ameriflight pilot requirement page and they have an item there that say Part 135 Captain with ameriflight waiver. I wonder what they mean by with ameriflight waiver which show a total time of 1000 for people that can apply under that. Did the company happen to get an approval from the FAA or how does that work for someone that does not meet the IFR requirement? do they put them on as a VFR Captain because there was nothing show a difference between this being a VFR position or will be flying under the IFR position.

However, I am bummed that they raised the First Officer requirement from 500 to 800 total now. I hope it would come back down again so that I can put in for it in the future but i will continue to find way to build that time to where I could get a shot to get in.

Also does anyone know if they will be appearing at the Northwest Aviation Trade show this Feb 24-26? I am going to attend it to get some good information and maybe find a chance for a job as a part time pilot or as an Advance Ground Instructor position.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by sobo View Post
The VFR PA31 program (in PHX and ABQ) is somewhat of a pipeline program to get you moved into either bigger equipment in our system or at the very least onto an IFR route with the PA31.

Pay for the BE99 and PA31 is equal.

All of our EMB-120's are equipped with a Garmin 420W. However, no one in the system is approved to shoot any GPS approaches as the sim training we received does not have a GPS and we do not do any in-aircraft training or checking for the GPS.

It's basically a tool to allow you direct routing and to provide increased situational awareness.

AMF as a whole does not use an EFB. Hope you like updating Jepps manually, because you will be doing it a lot.
Good info to have. It's been a long while since I've had to do strictly /A in a sim
And checkride. One would think If they spent the dollars for the gps units that it would be a simple add on for training, but maybe not.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
I had just recently looked at ameriflight pilot requirement page and they have an item there that say Part 135 Captain with ameriflight waiver. I wonder what they mean by with ameriflight waiver which show a total time of 1000 for people that can apply under that. Did the company happen to get an approval from the FAA or how does that work for someone that does not meet the IFR requirement? do they put them on as a VFR Captain because there was nothing show a difference between this being a VFR position or will be flying under the IFR position.

However, I am bummed that they raised the First Officer requirement from 500 to 800 total now. I hope it would come back down again so that I can put in for it in the future but i will continue to find way to build that time to where I could get a shot to get in.

Also does anyone know if they will be appearing at the Northwest Aviation Trade show this Feb 24-26? I am going to attend it to get some good information and maybe find a chance for a job as a part time pilot or as an Advance Ground Instructor position.
I also saw the "ameriflight waiver" on their website. Does anyone have any information on that?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

How competitive are the VFR Only Captain jobs? Are many applying?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Ameriflight is now advertising a PA31 job in ABQ requiring only 500 hours. (At least I'm pretty sure it's Ameriflight.)

https://www.pilothiring.com/pilot-jo...A31-23637.html