Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 02-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
hey Sobo,

I was wondering if you heard anything about that waiver and what it gear toward i.e. VFR 135 for IFR 135 or is it a Captain slot?

Thanks for looking into that.
Sorry, I have yet to get a chance to ask the recruiting department.

Anyone in line for an EMB-120 FO slot, chances look good you will be called soon if you haven't already. We have one spare first officer fleet wide, and he is departing on the 15th. I know we lost two or three others in these past couple months as well.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM
CFIing

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Can anyone give insight in to see if Captains are being hired with Ameriflights preferred mins?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by jrav8r View Post
Can anyone give insight in to see if Captains are being hired with Ameriflights preferred mins?
I think regular mins gets you an interview.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Retired 121; active Part 135
Default FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

Sorry if this has been discussed before; I'm not on very often. I had a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit many years ago. It costs $70 for a replacement. Is this truly a hiring requirement at Ameriflight? Thank you.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by 99842 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before; I'm not on very often. I had a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit many years ago. It costs $70 for a replacement. Is this truly a hiring requirement at Ameriflight? Thank you.
Not sure if still the case, but it used to be that if you change your address they issue a free replacement. So you could just slightly change something online and they'd mail you a replacement.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by jrav8r View Post
Assuming by preferred mins you mean 1200 hours and a few other requirements, that is essentially the legal minimum to be a captain under IFR requirements. If you have 800 hours or more, they will likely be interested in putting you in the right seat until you meet captain requirements.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Two good reasons to AVOID AMERIFLIGHT.
Antiquated equipment, single pilot in an aircraft designed for two pilots. Pilot funerals are depressing.
PRIA Do two pilot duties in old equipment with marginal training and you are setting yourself up for a failed check ride, which is exactly what Ameriflight wants. Ameriflight runs a washout program. Your PRIA record will haunt you when you interview with legitimate airlines.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Sad to hear that training department mentality hasn't changed. That really needs a complete revamp.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Smell test anyone?

I know what Jetlife is referring to. Old school AMF. I have friends who hesitate come to AMF based on their knowledge of the training culture of over 10 years ago.

Is it the same now? Make your case, they're listening (or reading as it were). They just bought a redbird sim for a week of remedial training prior to indoc. Do training captains need to be more friendly? Seems to be an individual thing to me as opposed to a "culture." I've had a spectrum of training captains in my career here. Some I grit my teeth and bear it (and appreciate the "tough love" that made me a better pilot) and others I totally admire for their professionalism and persistence which I try to emulate.

As for pilots who don't make it. There are plenty of us who cringe when someone with a great attitude doesn't make standards. It's a pity when we make generalizations without getting to know people, and it goes both ways (trainers and trainees).
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I think a big hurdle that will be hard to overcome, is that the equipment, and the environment in which AMF operates is unique. Short of legitimately crewing all aircraft with paid, trained and qualified FOs and making a spectacular SOP, and changing the fleet to something more modern, I don't know if they can fix the issues.

The vast majority of new pilots are getting their certificates/ratings/hours in modern aircraft with modern equipment and flying in the modern environment. The disconnect between that and the way AMF flies, and the equipment they fly is large, and increasing. AMF isn't an easy flying job even if you are completely used to older equipment and avionics, I can't imagine learning on a G1000 with a good autopilot, then having to try and literally learn how to scan and fly all over again.

Whether or not is is a good move to start a career or not is a completely different discussion. The class pictures that are posted on IG and FB seem to indicate that more older pilots are coming to AMF. Whatever their backgrounds are I don't know...

Buying a Redbird means they are conscious of an issue, however if what was said above has any merit, it would indicate that they still aren't real concerned breaking that cultural stigma, and that would really really change things there I think.

That being said, if you are a crappy pilot, and you fail training, then it is your fault not AMF. I think lots of AMF alum know at least one person that was pushed through training (upper managements orders) that had no business flying single pilot IFR. Unfortunately the guy I am thinking buried himself into the Mazatal mountains in AZ. Failing training because you can't make the standard could be literally life saving. It isn't for everyone...

The training department was my biggest "system" pet peeve when I worked there. I had plenty of check airmen and training captains as friends, and I was a training captain. I would cringe at the way the company approached training, the mentality, the execution, and the disciplinary aura that came along with it. I know they have made changes so hopefully it continues to change.