Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Recent AMF guy here who went into jets and bored out of my mind. Might even turn around and get back into the freight dog life again to get my blood pumping finally.

Not exactly sure what airplanes you're so scared of, but the rigorous training exists to make you the kind of pilot you SHOULD be for every job you have going forward in your career. If you can't fly a light or midsized twin on your own and deal with emergencies, you shouldn't be in the left seat hauling dozens of passengers in the back. The number of inexperienced right seat pilots I've seen at regionals and jet charter companies is nuts. Sure you can check the boxes and fly well enough two crew, but damn if those guys don't **** the bed once things actually get complicated and thinking outside the box is required.

Chieftain is a blast for the new guys, but the descending + stage cooling always bites them in the ass so it "seems" scary. Beech-99 can be flown with your arms tied behind your back, especially after dealing with the fun of the chieftain, just don't over-torque it. 1900 is just a big 99. Only real difference is you can't broom the snow off the tail at the outstation. Metro requires special earplugs when you're within 100 yards of it, sucks ass in wind, and you have to pretend you're climbing a ladder every time you shut down and spin the props. Brasilia is just boring because you have to split the fun with an extra crew member.

Go fly freight because you want to know you have what it takes to be the captain and the decision maker. Have fun, and live a little, and have some real stories to tell about scary **** that happened and about the fun times with your co-workers hiding under a wing during a downpour when the big jet was late to bring you boxes. Don't end up as one of those jaded captains in 30 years who goes on APC forums and talks **** to everyone in the crew lounge because they don't have any fun stories about the time they actually had to shoot an approach that wasn't a coupled ILS or LPV. God forbid you actually touch the yoke above 400'!

After you've had your fill then you can go cry about union contracts and seniority numbers and ****ty crew meals and how much you hate commuting all the time on your days off. You're going to be doing this for 30-40 years people, have some fun with it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by thehead View Post
Recent AMF guy here who went into jets and bored out of my mind. Might even turn around and get back into the freight dog life again to get my blood pumping finally.

Not exactly sure what airplanes you're so scared of, but the rigorous training exists to make you the kind of pilot you SHOULD be for every job you have going forward in your career. If you can't fly a light or midsized twin on your own and deal with emergencies, you shouldn't be in the left seat hauling dozens of passengers in the back. The number of inexperienced right seat pilots I've seen at regionals and jet charter companies is nuts. Sure you can check the boxes and fly well enough two crew, but damn if those guys don't **** the bed once things actually get complicated and thinking outside the box is required.

Chieftain is a blast for the new guys, but the descending + stage cooling always bites them in the ass so it "seems" scary. Beech-99 can be flown with your arms tied behind your back, especially after dealing with the fun of the chieftain, just don't over-torque it. 1900 is just a big 99. Only real difference is you can't broom the snow off the tail at the outstation. Metro requires special earplugs when you're within 100 yards of it, sucks ass in wind, and you have to pretend you're climbing a ladder every time you shut down and spin the props. Brasilia is just boring because you have to split the fun with an extra crew member.

Go fly freight because you want to know you have what it takes to be the captain and the decision maker. Have fun, and live a little, and have some real stories to tell about scary **** that happened and about the fun times with your co-workers hiding under a wing during a downpour when the big jet was late to bring you boxes. Don't end up as one of those jaded captains in 30 years who goes on APC forums and talks **** to everyone in the crew lounge because they don't have any fun stories about the time they actually had to shoot an approach that wasn't a coupled ILS or LPV. God forbid you actually touch the yoke above 400'!

After you've had your fill then you can go cry about union contracts and seniority numbers and ****ty crew meals and how much you hate commuting all the time on your days off. You're going to be doing this for 30-40 years people, have some fun with it.
AMEN!!! This the best thing I've read on this forum. I hope you young pilots are paying attention here...
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016

anyone have any info of ameriflight Miami operations ? schedules or runs ?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by jumpseatguru View Post
Miami base is closed.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Retired 121; active Part 135

Originally Posted by thehead View Post

This post has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Literary Excellence.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

hey guys,how many hours are the brasilia F/O flying on average? I read a few pages ago about 20-30h/month (PDX). is it pretty much the same in other bases?

where are the brasilias based?

thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
hey guys,how many hours are the brasilia F/O flying on average? I read a few pages ago about 20-30h/month (PDX). is it pretty much the same in other bases?

where are the brasilias based?

thanks!
Longer runs out of BQN, CVG, and PHX. Also, there's SLC and BFI, but those are shorter.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by jumpseatguru View Post
There is no longer an actual MIA base. We have one metro run (that is currently contracted out because we don't have the staffing to cover it) that goes from MIA to Can Cun to Merida and back 5 days a week. We also have a couple of runs out of BED (run from CVG) that come down the coast but then return to CVG or BED.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

How are the Frontier and Omni flow through programs going for Ameriflight? I know this may open up a can of worms but I'm sincerely interested in learning more about from the Ameriflight pilots. Anyone in the program?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

As I approach 500 hours I was wondering how hard it is to get a E120 FO slot? Also, what aircraft are based out of ABQ? The FO can only log total time in the E120 right?