Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

dera 03-23-2017 03:29 PM

So, is anything entry-level at AMF commutable? I'm about to start applying w/ 600hrs, but would need to commute from ATL.

sobo 03-23-2017 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2327877)
So, is anything entry-level at AMF commutable? I'm about to start applying w/ 600hrs, but would need to commute from ATL.

You will need to move.

dera 03-23-2017 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2327961)
You will need to move.

Or apply elsewhere :)
I can do Alaska for 14/14 or whatever the schedule is, or aerial survey for 6 months on the road. But I won't relocate for that.
I just saw some people talking about commuting contracts at AMF so was hoping it would be doable, but I guess not.

Akutan Bandit 03-23-2017 07:46 PM

Koreans in the right seat and.....who in the left seat? Hearing horrible failure numbers for PIC metro. Ameriflight was always a little rough around the edges but still respectable. Now I don't know.

dera 03-23-2017 07:47 PM

I lived in South Korea for a few years, I don't mind them :)

Akutan Bandit 03-23-2017 07:49 PM

Oh, and your recruiters are telling people that they can home-base on a 2/2, but then that becomes 18/12, then maybe 2 and 1. You can't build a base of stable employees by lying to them before they even hit the property. Some of these folks are making important opportunity-cost decisions based on what you tell them during the hiring phase, so tell them the f-ing deal straight up.

dera 03-23-2017 07:57 PM

I would be just fine with 18/12. If this would be possible with AMF, I would apply right away.

chubakabrah 03-24-2017 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2328096)
I would be just fine with 18/12. If this would be possible with AMF, I would apply right away.

That's what I'm talking about buddy!

It's amazing how many people spend thousands of dollars to learn this trade and then *#^@) about working.... I don't understand when people show no signs of gratefulness for the ability they have so graciously been given. Not everyone has the skills or aptitude to be a pilot. If you want 5 on 2 off, you can have the job I just quit to pursue my dream.

I'm days away from applying to AF and can't wait to fly for food, and if 18/12 is what they are pumping out, Sign me the eff up! (*drops mic*)

FreightDogs 03-24-2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2328096)

Hi, there!

We do have an 18/12 schedule if you are home-based.
But if you live near one of our bases (non home based), it's more like 5/2.

I haven't heard of a 2/2 and hope that none of our recruiters are advertising that.

Let me know if you have any questions! We'd love to have you apply! :)

Best regards!

Akutan Bandit 03-24-2017 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2328274)
Hi, there!

We do have an 18/12 schedule if you are home-based.
But if you live near one of our bases (non home based), it's more like 5/2.

I haven't heard of a 2/2 and hope that none of our recruiters are advertising that.

Let me know if you have any questions! We'd love to have you apply! :)

Best regards!

I can assure you that folks are being told 2/2 applies to home basing. With a recent Metro new-hire I know when the truth came out during training, after some back and forth, it contributed to that person leaving before IOE. I'm also familiar with another older fella who is an attorney and was told that his schedule would be 2/2, so I'm waiting to hear how he takes the deception once it comes to light. Both these guys have other job offers out there with higher base salaries. It was the home basing schedule that enticed them.

With regard to 5/2, those of you with wives or families should know that Ameriflight is in ever hopeful mode with the mention of a full-weekend off. Their customers demand, generally speaking, Saturday delivery, and a schedule of 6/1 is what you get with only one full day off per week. So what 5/2 really means is you get Saturday afternoon off and Monday morning off, but you will usually fly until mid-day Saturday and show for your Monday night too. That maybe more than anything helps the company have high-turnover. Most normal folks find that untenable after a year or so as older people have families that they miss every night and most young guys want a block of time off to travel or whatever. Two of the guys at the base nearest me are in the process of leaving due to never getting the time off they need, one for family issues and one for block time off issues. These are both low-time guys who loved the job for about 6 months but got rapidly disgruntled regarding schedule.

I'd think that if you really want your flight time belly scratched by Ameriflight then just go in with your eyes open and ask some questions regarding schedule and maybe get something in writing.