Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

shoestrings1229 03-21-2017 05:45 PM

FYI, if you're applying for a FO spot, be VERY aware that unless you go into the E120, your time can NOT be counted towards your ATP.

ForFlightsSake 03-21-2017 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoestrings1229 (Post 2326060)
FYI, if you're applying for a FO spot, be VERY aware that unless you go into the E120, your time can NOT be counted towards your ATP.

First time trying this quote thing, we'll see how it goes.

I thought the same thing, and I still haven't found when this reg was passed or approved, but check out: Docket No. FAA-2016-6142, Notice No. 16-02.

It proposes that SICs can log time when not otherwise required if they are part of a SIC PDP, and that time can count towards ATP. I was told that this FO deal is a new program that just started this March, so maybe those laws apply now? Not sure, but I want to do my homework before joining a company.

own nav 03-22-2017 05:11 AM

If it has changed, it would be nice to get a memo. Until then, the memo we have says no, you can't currently count the SIC time (other than the E120) toward your ATP.

rightflight 03-22-2017 06:19 AM

Current Ameriflight Pilots

I would like some honesty from people that have been hired and started flying for Ameriflight. How do you like it overall? What are your likes and dislikes? What is your schedule like? What do you think of the overall atmosphere within Ameriflight? All the feedback received is much appreciated. Thanks.

chubakabrah 03-22-2017 12:36 PM

I thought all new hires went to the E120? That's all they ever show as hiring on their website.

Originally Posted by shoestrings1229 (Post 2326060)

FreightDogs 03-23-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by chubakabrah (Post 2326812)
I thought all new hires went to the E120? That's all they ever show as hiring on their website.

Hi!
We recently started a program called the Accelerated Captain Program.
We received a waiver from the FAA and can now accept Captains at 1,000TT. The catch is that the pilots have to have 50 hours with us as an FO first. So we'll bring you in as an FO in one of our BE99s until you reach 1,000TT and 50 hours as an AMF FO. As soon as you meet both requirements, we'll shift you over to left seat of the 99.
Those hours as an FO do not count towards your ATP as shoestrings1229 mentioned, but the hours as a Captain after you reach those 2 requirements do. So depending on what your TT is you are looking at 50-200 hours as an FO.
We have those positions listed as First Officer ACP.
Hope that helps!

frmrbuffdrvr 03-23-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by chubakabrah (Post 2326812)

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2327437)
Hi!
We recently started a program called the Accelerated Captain Program.
We received a waiver from the FAA and can now accept Captains at 1,000TT. The catch is that the pilots have to have 50 hours with us as an FO first. So we'll bring you in as an FO in one of our BE99s until you reach 1,000TT and 50 hours as an AMF FO. As soon as you meet both requirements, we'll shift you over to left seat of the 99.
Those hours as an FO do not count towards your ATP as shoestrings1229 mentioned, but the hours as a Captain after you reach those 2 requirements do. So depending on what your TT is you are looking at 50-200 hours as an FO.
We have those positions listed as First Officer ACP.
Hope that helps!

We also hire folks as FOs in the BE1900 and SA227 in order for them to get to 1200 hours minimum then transition to left seat of the BE99. If they are really sharp, we have taken some up to 1500 hours and then upgraded them straight to the captain seat in the airplane they were an FO in. The first two pilots to do this in the metro just completed their captain check outs in the past couple of weeks and are flying the line as new captains.

frmrbuffdrvr 03-23-2017 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2325793)
I would add nose wheel steering, aileron control, and braking action to your list of things that were hard to adjust to on the Metro. Free turbine engines on our other planes have far less aborted starts as well. There are many points where I would agree that "it's not complicated," but I would definitely advise against letting that allow a complacent attitude going into training, or any day flying it for that matter.

Respectfully own_nav, but I would disagree on your implication that we have a high rate of aborted starts in the metro. As long as you ensure that the propellers are on the "start locks", I have seen very few aborted starts and none of the ones I have ever had have been related to the engine being a direct drive. The only aborted start I have had recently (as in, the past couple of years) was in BLI about 3 weeks ago. That was because of a bad ignitor box and so there was no ignition and hence no light off. Nothing to do with it being direct drive.

Your other items of concern I will agree with. We have had a few instances of steering issues lately. The roll rate is a bit slow due to the wing extensions and the ailerons not going all the way to the wing tips. (Though the plane still rolls well enough if you just lead the turn with a bit of rudder.) And the brakes on the "light" airplanes leave something to be desired. Though, again, I have never found it to be much of a problem as the plane slows down pretty well just by going into Beta. Several times I have had tower ask me for a braking report and I have had tell them I didn't know because I never touched the brakes.

higherclimb 03-23-2017 09:34 AM

Anyone going to the open house in PDX Saturday?

FlightLife 03-23-2017 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by higherclimb (Post 2327574)
Anyone going to the open house in PDX Saturday?

I'm planning on stopping in to check it out as long as my work schedule remains clear.