Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

MettetalAir 08-03-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2648421)
The second is for pilots who live more than an hour and a half from our base (assignments have you flying anywhere we need you in our system, 14/7/14/14).
Hope that helps! :)

Very helpful! Thanks. I am guessing the living hour and a half away is an hour and a half away by car, right?

How would commuting work in this schedule? For instance lets say I live in Dan Diego (over 90 minutes by car from Burbank or Ontario) and my assignment starts in Omaha (or maybe even San Juan). How would the pilot get to Omaha (or even San Juan)?

frmrbuffdrvr 08-03-2018 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MettetalAir (Post 2648471)
Very helpful! Thanks. I am guessing the living hour and a half away is an hour and a half away by car, right?

How would commuting work in this schedule? For instance lets say I live in Dan Diego (over 90 minutes by car from Burbank or Ontario) and my assignment starts in Omaha (or maybe even San Juan). How would the pilot get to Omaha (or even San Juan)?

You would receive an airline ticket to get there, most likely on the first day of your rotation, from the closest regional airport.

Boeing Aviator 08-04-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2648213)
The first officers are not home based. But they also do not have a permanent base. Once they finish training they are sent to a base where they can build the hours that they need. During that time we take care of travel, hotel and per diem. Once he upgrades to captain then he could go to home based status if that is what he is hired for.

While he probably would not get a class assignment right away, I would suggest getting an application/resume in when he can and then just keep in touch with the recruiter for when we get closer to his time he can start. We usually start filling class slots about a month and a half prior to the class. Indoc classes start on the first Monday of the month.

Thanks for your response. Can you please give an example of the typical day/night and weekly schedule. I know it varies, but how many legs a day/night, duty days, layovers and extended breaks during a single duty period? Also do Pilots have to load cargo?

Thank you!

ZippyNH 08-04-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator (Post 2648868)
Thanks for your response. Can you please give an example of the typical day/night and weekly schedule. I know it varies, but how many legs a day/night, duty days, layovers and extended breaks during a single duty period? Also do Pilots have to load cargo?

Thank you!

My thoughts...
It varries...and to the extremes.
There are routes for people want to build time...and routes for people looking for a easy, regular gig .. Largely it is customer driven...but schedules are pretty well set.
The brown box flights are out, with sometimes one stop, sit for 8-9 hours (in a hotel usually), then return, one or two stops (a stop is just 20 minutes, less if you can make it faster)then in a hotel overnight....do it all week. Depending on the coast, it might be early or later... So you typically are working or in a hotel/home...unless waiting for cargo from a late connection in the AM...then pilots stamd around and BS for an hour or so and talk...
Typically you don't actually "work" more than 4-6 hours a day if the jet bringing in your cargo is on time in the AM, but it is split into two half's... some can deal with that, some need to adjust.
I have flown as little as 1.3 RT day or more like 3+ RT
Other customers may require up to 8 hours with an optional 91 repo leg with 5+ legs....and a "round-robin" routing...
Some trips never leave a state...some x-country, or half x-country with the cargo getting relayed. Simply put, there are routes for time builders, and routes for a person looking for more if an easy regular schedule.
As to loading/unloading cargo...a huge shift has occurred in the past few months...MOST of the flights are "no touch", but that's not to say you will not need to possiblely shift cargo at a stop for CG reasons (if you plan well, it can often be avoided), or there might be a customer who requires you move the cargo to the door for the driver to unload....
Biggest thing at this level is to be flexible, get the job done and communicate...

FlightLife 08-04-2018 12:54 PM

Zippy, are you the one on here out of SLC? If so, I may PM some questions your way.

Boeing Aviator 08-05-2018 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2648926)
My thoughts...
It varries...and to the extremes.
There are routes for people want to build time...and routes for people looking for a easy, regular gig .. Largely it is customer driven...but schedules are pretty well set.
The brown box flights are out, with sometimes one stop, sit for 8-9 hours (in a hotel usually), then return, one or two stops (a stop is just 20 minutes, less if you can make it faster)then in a hotel overnight....do it all week. Depending on the coast, it might be early or later... So you typically are working or in a hotel/home...unless waiting for cargo from a late connection in the AM...then pilots stamd around and BS for an hour or so and talk...
Typically you don't actually "work" more than 4-6 hours a day if the jet bringing in your cargo is on time in the AM, but it is split into two half's... some can deal with that, some need to adjust.
I have flown as little as 1.3 RT day or more like 3+ RT
Other customers may require up to 8 hours with an optional 91 repo leg with 5+ legs....and a "round-robin" routing...
Some trips never leave a state...some x-country, or half x-country with the cargo getting relayed. Simply put, there are routes for time builders, and routes for a person looking for more if an easy regular schedule.
As to loading/unloading cargo...a huge shift has occurred in the past few months...MOST of the flights are "no touch", but that's not to say you will not need to possiblely shift cargo at a stop for CG reasons (if you plan well, it can often be avoided), or there might be a customer who requires you move the cargo to the door for the driver to unload....
Biggest thing at this level is to be flexible, get the job done and communicate...

Thank you, this info is very helpful. One additional question. If your essentially a single pilot operation, how can the quick upgrade new hires log time while doubling up with a single pilot captain. Do you have something in your op specs that allows for these pilots to log SIC on the legs they double up to build total time so they can upgrade?

Thanks again.

ZippyNH 08-05-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator (Post 2649187)
Thank you, this info is very helpful. One additional question. If your essentially a single pilot operation, how can the quick upgrade new hires log time while doubling up with a single pilot captain. Do you have something in your op specs that allows for these pilots to log SIC on the legs they double up to build total time so they can upgrade?

Thanks again.

The opps spec allows it......so no legal worries...it can be logged... It is 100% ok with the FAA, and they are well aware of it. Functionality they become a required crew member when assigned the trip, and can then Legally log it as per the ops spec's and the FAA. While others might be able to give you more specific info, I can say it is all "above board", nothing sketchy going on.
If I recall right (depending on the program, there are a couple of different variations based on how many hours a person is hired with... prior pages have all the info several times)most get a VFR 135 checkout...then can fly alone in good weather, or trade legs as needed when less than ideal...
Heck...kinda remember getting cut loose in a caravan (different company, different era), at night, alone, and getting into ice and also dodging thunderstorms for the first time in a twin....you learned fast, and made more correct choices that wrong or you didn't survive. Getting to have a few hours with an more experienced captain and getting schooled in real world hard IFR IMO is a great option.... priceless actually.

dera 08-05-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2649273)
Heck...kinda remember getting cut loose in a caravan (different company, different era), at night, alone, and getting into ice and also dodging thunderstorms for the first time in a twin....

The famous twin engine Caravan... :confused:
:D

ZippyNH 08-05-2018 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2649341)
The famous twin engine Caravan... :confused:
:D

Caravan in the winter in Michigan...
Then a C-404 in tornado aley in the spring in Missouri....
Didn't think it was hard to figure out...since I called one a caravan, and the other a twin...

MettetalAir 08-05-2018 08:01 PM

What would be the chances of an ameriflight pilot getting into a legacy pax airline such as united, aa, or delta? I read that the chances would be very slim but just seeing what you guys think about it.

For those of you working at ameriflight, what are your future career goals and/or companies you hope to enter after ameriflight?