Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Boeing Aviator 08-05-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2649273)
The opps spec allows it......so no legal worries...it can be logged... It is 100% ok with the FAA, and they are well aware of it. Functionality they become a required crew member when assigned the trip, and can then Legally log it as per the ops spec's and the FAA. While others might be able to give you more specific info, I can say it is all "above board", nothing sketchy going on.
If I recall right (depending on the program, there are a couple of different variations based on how many hours a person is hired with... prior pages have all the info several times)most get a VFR 135 checkout...then can fly alone in good weather, or trade legs as needed when less than ideal...
Heck...kinda remember getting cut loose in a caravan (different company, different era), at night, alone, and getting into ice and also dodging thunderstorms for the first time in a twin....you learned fast, and made more correct choices that wrong or you didn't survive. Getting to have a few hours with an more experienced captain and getting schooled in real world hard IFR IMO is a great option.... priceless actually.

Thanks for taking all the time to respond to my questions. Very helpful, I’ve forwarded to my friend. He’s going to send a resume to Ameriflight very soon. Best of luck to you, hope to see you here at United someday soon.

Fr8Thrust 08-06-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by MettetalAir (Post 2649660)
What would be the chances of an ameriflight pilot getting into a legacy pax airline such as united, aa, or delta? I read that the chances would be very slim but just seeing what you guys think about it.

Slim to anorexic. AMF pilots at Legacies got picked up from Regional, Charter, Fractional, or Corporate, but not directly from AMF.

Fr8Thrust 08-06-2018 09:24 AM

AMF advertisements claim they have flow-through agreements. This is incorrect.

A flow is a guaranteed path.

A gateway is a guaranteed interview.

Ameriflight does not have any flow-through programs. Until they offer AMF pilots, in seniority order, class dates at Omni, Allegiant, Frontier, or UPS, there is no flow; only a guaranteed interview. Having pathway programs is great, but calling it a “flow” is false advertising.

ZippyNH 08-06-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust (Post 2649918)

Ameriflight does not have any flow-through programs. Until they offer AMF pilots, in seniority order, class dates at Omni, Allegiant, Frontier, or UPS, there is no flow; only a guaranteed interview. Having pathway programs is great, but calling it a “flow” is false advertising.

Perhaps..

The issue with a guaranteed "job" as with a flow is that many individuals that would never cut it in an 121 could never be hired to work 135....it might be due to history of some type, or just personality....but the interview process would have to match the partners.
The fact that the airlines with agreements have a process to be accepted to them for "flow" or interview with milestones you must meet makes the milestones effectively a long interview....

Yes, going straight to a legacy is not likely, but to a LCC is common, as is freight company to fly a 767....or simply go to UPS, ALSO on the list....think most would consider a job at UPS to be a success...
Different lifestyle, and different upgrade path.... sometimes you don't end up with the path or the end you though...many people like the lifestyle, then stay, or even fly corporate. Not all people's final goal is a "legacy" carrier....and depending on when you are hired in relation to growth and retirements, a legacy job MIGHT result in decades of stagnation....ask a United guy from the 90's...or the guys from defunct carrier's that did not get bought.... starting over....
Personally I LIKE getting my hotel points, and having a rental car/crew car more often than not, and having most weekends off....and alternating one week and two weeks off, a vacation, and avoiding the BS of many places.
Is it perfect, no. However, it is a choice that should be considered and might be a good option for many IMHO.
I ADVOCATE that anybody consider ALL options, and the meat grinder of the regionals are not everyone's "cup of tea", nor is the lifestyle with the typical commute.

Luewk 08-06-2018 11:40 AM

Why is it unrealistic for an AMF pilot to expect to go directly to a legacy? I figured the twin turbine PIC (especially in the brasilia or the 1900) + the current shortage would be enough for this to be reasonable.
Is the lack of 121 experience really that much of a killer?

Jetlife 08-06-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MettetalAir (Post 2649660)
What would be the chances of an ameriflight pilot getting into a legacy pax airline such as united, aa, or delta? I read that the chances would be very slim but just seeing what you guys think about it.

For those of you working at ameriflight, what are your future career goals and/or companies you hope to enter after ameriflight?

To a legacy carrier? Right now it's zero, flat out no chance. Give it a few years and maybe they will be desperate enough for warm bodies. You won't even see people go from AMF to SWA, AS or JB. I bet you can count on two hands the people that have gone to Spirit and Allegiant and Frontier.

Allegiant/Frontier are your best bets as they have some preferential interview programs. I think all the AMF programs will lock you in for 3 years before you can do anything so keep that in mind. I know people have gone to Allegiant, Frontier, Omni and Atlas from AMF but not in large numbers. Don't pick AMF as a means to look great on a resume, pick it because you want to fly sorta single pilot ops in older airplanes.

Wipe legacy carriers from the lexicon.

Jetlife 08-06-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust (Post 2649918)

Been saying this for years. They are now flow though programs.

Jetlife 08-06-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2649994)
Perhaps..

The issue with a guaranteed "job" as with a flow is that many individuals that would never cut it in an 121 could never be hired to work 135....it might be due to history of some type, or just personality....but the interview process would have to match the partners.
The fact that the airlines with agreements have a process to be accepted to them for "flow" or interview with milestones you must meet makes the milestones effectively a long interview....

Yes, going straight to a legacy is not likely, but to a LCC is common, as is freight company to fly a 767....or simply go to UPS, ALSO on the list....think most would consider a job at UPS to be a success...
Different lifestyle, and different upgrade path.... sometimes you don't end up with the path or the end you though...many people like the lifestyle, then stay, or even fly corporate. Not all people's final goal is a "legacy" carrier....and depending on when you are hired in relation to growth and retirements, a legacy job MIGHT result in decades of stagnation....ask a United guy from the 90's...or the guys from defunct carrier's that did not get bought.... starting over....
Personally I LIKE getting my hotel points, and having a rental car/crew car more often than not, and having most weekends off....and alternating one week and two weeks off, a vacation, and avoiding the BS of many places.
Is it perfect, no. However, it is a choice that should be considered and might be a good option for many IMHO.
I ADVOCATE that anybody consider ALL options, and the meat grinder of the regionals are not everyone's "cup of tea", nor is the lifestyle with the typical commute.

He isn't arguing whether a flow is right for AMF or not, he is saying that the "flow" programs as AMF states, are indeed not flow programs, and he is 100% correct. There is no perhaps, or sorta, or maybe.

I agree with the issue of a flow and not possibly having the applicant match the culture of the new company, that happens at American all the time, but regardless what AMF sells as a flow, is not a flow, not even close.

You sound a bit like a recruiter, "just go to UPS!" Yea easier said than done, in fact way easier said than done. How many people have gone to UPS since the program was announced years ago?

Oh and btw I am not sure I know anyone that goes to legacy to merely "progress." The money is greater no matter what seat you're in, than almost any corporate job and especially long term, isn't even close.

I do agree with you though, not everyone wants to go to the airlines.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-06-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2650009)
You sound a bit like a recruiter, "just go to UPS!" Yea easier said than done, in fact way easier said than done. How many people have gone to UPS since the program was announced years ago?

The programs wasn't announce "years ago." It was announced the beginning of this year. And the first people into the mentoring phase, which is a year long, will finish that portion in January. So no one has gone to UPS via the program. Basically because the program hasn't existed long enough. But three people will go there in January. And a couple more three months after that. And so on.

Jetlife 08-06-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2650102)
The programs wasn't announce "years ago." It was announced the beginning of this year. And the first people into the mentoring phase, which is a year long, will finish that portion in January. So no one has gone to UPS via the program. Basically because the program hasn't existed long enough. But three people will go there in January. And a couple more three months after that. And so on.

The first UPS program was announced June of last year. And they aren’t “going there,” they will get an interview.