Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Luewk 08-09-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2651654)
I'd definitely recommend a 135 gig between CFI and regionals. Find a good one and you'll have the most fun you're ever going to have in your flying career.
Don't even dream about going to Majors from AMF. It just does not work that way.

For someone like me it seems like the wrong move unfortunately. I'm young and don't have too many commitments holding me in one particular place + I'd like to get to a major ASAP and going CFI-135-regional-major seems like it would take awhile longer than just CFI-regional-major.
If you have any more insight or know a 135 op which allows me to "skip" regionals please let me know!

Fr8Thrust 08-09-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Luewk (Post 2652052)
For someone like me it seems like the wrong move unfortunately. I'm young and don't have too many commitments holding me in one particular place + I'd like to get to a major ASAP and going CFI-135-regional-major seems like it would take awhile longer than just CFI-regional-major.
If you have any more insight or know a 135 op which allows me to "skip" regionals please let me know!

Honestly that is a poor attitude to have. What you are essentially saying is you want to “skip” becoming a better pilot. No doctor wants to shortcut their experience and go right into performing surgery, so why should a pilot. It’s a once in a lifetime experience that opens many doors. I promise you that. You can move up the ranks at AMF rather quickly, faster than at any regional, and those application “checkmarks” are valued highly at the majors.

ZippyNH 08-09-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust (Post 2652123)
Honestly that is a poor attitude to have. What you are essentially saying is you want to “skip” becoming a better pilot. No doctor wants to shortcut their experience and go right into performing surgery, so why should a pilot. It’s a once in a lifetime experience that opens many doors. I promise you that. You can move up the ranks at AMF rather quickly, faster than at any regional, and those application “checkmarks” are valued highly at the majors.

+1
Becoming an IOE captain, an company instructor, or check airman are all great experience to have. Leadership is always good to show in any application so you stand out.
Hiring will not always be as easy as it is at the moment.
Always look at any job, and say, if something crazy happened, will I be able to to be happy here for a few extra years?

Jetlife 08-09-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust (Post 2652123)

You’re defining better as flying single pilot freight. That doesn’t make you a better airline pilot. I’ve seen it. What makes you a better pilot? Fly challenging stuff as a hobby, and at work, challenge yourself. 50% of my landings in the Bus are with all automation off including auto thrust. Why? Because it keeps me sharp. I have seen AMF pilots get into a jet and a professional encorionment and struggle. The “hold my beer and watch this” mentality doesn’t work in the more professional jobs. The bottom feeder 135 charter jobs sure maybe...

This rhetoric is just sold to you by management that airlines love AMF pilots and that AMF makes the best pilots. My last two jobs, including the largest fractions jet job on the planet, had never heard of AMF. The more ingrained in single pilot turbo prop freight ops you are, the steeper the learning curve culturally and flying ability wise, really is.

The old DO and at one time, temporarily CEO of AMF couldn’t get hired as a pilot at SWA, he had to go there as a sim instructor.

Again AMF has its place and it is an option if that type of flying is appealing to you. But “better” is a subjective term. Does it make you better at flying in bad weather by yourself in old equipment? Absolutely, without a doubt it does that. Does it make you a better pilot in anything modern in a real multi crew environment? No, it doesn’t, period.

dera 08-09-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2652227)
You’re defining better as flying single pilot freight. That doesn’t make you a better airline pilot. I’ve seen it. What makes you a better pilot? Fly challenging stuff as a hobby, and at work, challenge yourself. 50% of my landings in the Bus are with all automation off including auto thrust. Why? Because it keeps me sharp. I have seen AMF pilots get into a jet and a professional encorionment and struggle. The “hold my beer and watch this” mentality doesn’t work in the more professional jobs. The bottom feeder 135 charter jobs sure maybe...

This rhetoric is just sold to you by management that airlines love AMF pilots and that AMF makes the best pilots. My last two jobs, including the largest fractions jet job on the planet, had never heard of AMF. The more ingrained in single pilot turbo prop freight ops you are, the steeper the learning curve culturally and flying ability wise, really is.

I was suggesting some of the better 135 gigs (such as the company I work for). Real CRM environment, but flying around the Caribbean and overnighting at pretty amazing resorts in some of the most exclusive islands in the region. That's fun, flying there teaches you good stick and rudder skills, but at the same time it's a great crash course on CRM, decision making, weather planning etc. No cowboy stuff here. It also pays well.

I know a guy who described AMF and their career progression pretty much spot on: "Half the recruiters have no idea who they are, and half know they are single pilot cargo that have no relevance to airline flying". I think that's pretty well said.

USMCFLYR 08-10-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2652333)
I was suggesting some of the better 135 gigs (such as the company I work for). Real CRM environment, but flying around the Caribbean and overnighting at pretty amazing resorts in some of the most exclusive islands in the region. That's fun, flying there teaches you good stick and rudder skills, but at the same time it's a great crash course on CRM, decision making, weather planning etc. No cowboy stuff here. It also pays well.

I know a guy who described AMF and their career progression pretty much spot on: "Half the recruiters have no idea who they are, and half know they are single pilot cargo that have no relevance to airline flying". I think that's pretty well said.

All flying has relevance to airline flying. There are things you can learn and pick up and refine from any type of flying applicable to any other type of flying; then there are specifics only available to a certain type of flying.

nakazawa 08-11-2018 09:03 AM

Airline Competitive

Dera -

YOU need to figure out how to make YOU competitive to attain your goal(s). I'm not so sure after reading a number of your posts you have all the answers. You might not even have a clue.

My career is varied and unique, but I managed to retire from the largest overnight express freight carrier in the world. Starting in helicopters didn't hurt. It helped. Flying bank checks in twin Cessnas between the military and that Part 121 carrier didn't hurt - it helped. Having a clue helps. Having a personality that's not abrasive and suits spending two weeks on the road with another crew member helps. Being able to interface with management - good or bad helps. You don't like AMF? Good for you. If YOU think AMF has the worst leadership in the aviation business, you haven't talked to any of the Lorenzo people, or Icahn people, or crews from some of the other airlines that have gone upside down. You think the legacies are all that? Ask some of the UAL folks what happened to their ESOP! I flew with crews that flew for both Braniff I and Braniff II. Where did that airline go? I was lucky. Do your homework before you start bashing places to go learn some very good flying, leadership, and management skills. Enjoy Life -

V/R,
Nakazawa

Selfmade92 08-11-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2652333)

Ameriflight has great CRM! There are proper procedures, flows, call outs etc. Especially in the BE1900, which was flown by 2 man crews in the airlines and AMF pretty much adopted those procedures as the airlines did.... can't say the same about the PC12... :o

dera 08-11-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 (Post 2653344)
Ameriflight has great CRM! There are proper procedures, flows, call outs etc. Especially in the BE1900, which was flown by 2 man crews in the airlines and AMF pretty much adopted those procedures as the airlines did.... can't say the same about the PC12... :o

I thought they flew the 1900's single pilot?

Selfmade92 08-11-2018 03:50 PM

a lot of them are flown 2 crew, the goal is to get all of the metros and 1900s 2 crew.