Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

dera 08-08-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2651463)
Speaking of how much AMF is behind the times and has no idea how much trouble they’re in, they just increased BE99 captain pay to 50k. There are endless amounts jet FO jobs with schedules that pay more than that. AMF is in some real trouble...

I make a lot more than that flying a PC12 3 days a week, and home every night (and weekend and holidays etc).
I just can't see multi turboprop time being THAT valuable in the current pilot job market.

Luewk 08-08-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2651463)
Speaking of how much AMF is behind the times and has no idea how much trouble they’re in, they just increased BE99 captain pay to 50k. There are endless amounts jet FO jobs with schedules that pay more than that. AMF is in some real trouble...

It does still beat a lot of regional pay though.
skywest is way behind that, horizon is behind that, compass is behind that, etc.

Luewk 08-08-2018 04:55 PM

Also i'm looking at UPS requirements and AMF seems like it would be a good precursor if you wanted to go to UPS.

Basic Qualifications
Hold a current unrestricted ATP certificate with an Airplane category multi-engine class rating and English proficiency endorsement
Hold a current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
Hold an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit
Hold a valid passport
Have authorization to work in the United States
Have a minimum of 1500 hours of total fixed-wing pilot time

Preferred Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university
Recent and type of experience will be considered; for example, preference given to candidates with demonstrated flight experience in transport category aircraft
within the last 12 months from date of application
Minimum of 1000 hours Pilot in Command (PIC) hours in fixed-wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop

Would I be mistaken assuming that it would be possible to go from AMF straight to UPS after a few years?

dera 08-08-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Luewk (Post 2651499)

Would I be mistaken assuming that it would be possible to go from AMF straight to UPS after a few years?

Yes you would.

I'm pretty sure that has not happened in the past 10 years, not once. UPS has plenty of qualified jet guys applying. No need to take the turboprop cowboys.

According to the UPS forums here, the competitive mins for UPS for a civilian guy are around 6-7000hrs total with plenty of jet 121, preferably heavy, time.

colonials13 08-08-2018 06:03 PM

Can anyone please tell me why AMF requires the same amount of PIC time (500 hours) for EMB120 FOs and Accelerated Captain Program FOs, when the Total Time Requirements are 500 hours and 800 hours respectively?

Jetlife 08-08-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Luewk (Post 2651497)
It does still beat a lot of regional pay though.
skywest is way behind that, horizon is behind that, compass is behind that, etc.

There are people that make 50k at both Horizon and Skywest their first year. It’s easily doable. I don’t think it beats regional pay overall. Plus regional pay is too dynamic. The typical 5 day AMF schedule gives maybe 10 days off a month. If you worked a regional job and only had 10 days a month off you could make some pretty good money.

Honestly the AMF payscale is still very much behind. You are talking about being a captain on a turbo prop. You can go make double that flying a King Air. Not trying to crap on AMF but man, it’s baltenly obvious where the issues are and what needs to be fixed. I figured guys in turboprop stuff were starting at 75k.

Luewk 08-08-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2651620)
There are people that make 50k at both Horizon and Skywest their first year. It’s easily doable. I don’t think it beats regional pay overall. Plus regional pay is too dynamic. The typical 5 day AMF schedule gives maybe 10 days off a month. If you worked a regional job and only had 10 days a month off you could make some pretty good money.

Honestly the AMF payscale is still very much behind. You are talking about being a captain on a turbo prop. You can go make double that flying a King Air. Not trying to crap on AMF but man, it’s baltenly obvious where the issues are and what needs to be fixed. I figured guys in turboprop stuff were starting at 75k.

Well thanks for the input man I appreciate it. Thanks to anyone else who contributes info here also. Just trying to figure out what to do after instructing/if I need to do CFI all the way to ATP minimums.
It seems like Cfi/135 - regionals - major is still the best/most practical way to do things.

dera 08-08-2018 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Luewk (Post 2651652)
Well thanks for the input man I appreciate it. Thanks to anyone else who contributes info here also. Just trying to figure out what to do after instructing/if I need to do CFI all the way to ATP minimums.
It seems like Cfi/135 - regionals - major is still the best/most practical way to do things.

I'd definitely recommend a 135 gig between CFI and regionals. Find a good one and you'll have the most fun you're ever going to have in your flying career.
Don't even dream about going to Majors from AMF. It just does not work that way.

ZippyNH 08-09-2018 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2651620)

Most do...
The payscale and bonus system is currently getting simplified a bit...some bonuses are getting rolled into the regular pay to make it simpler to understand...and more tax advantageous. Unfortunately the bonuses structure makes calculations of actual yearly pay harder, but it's getting better.
The only people that start at 50k are the lowest multi time hires...often ACP upgrade for the first few months...
A BE-19/SA-227 new hire starts at 67k (may also get a 10k when the check ride is passed and 10k at 18 months)....then another 20 k if you stay to about 36 months in the form of the peak to peak bonus (might be 6-8+ more depending on the season you start).
So many first year and pilots beat the 75k by a fair bit, especially if you stay 3 years.

And like at many places, OT is available, as are TDY assignments that both may extra... likewise a HBC that does an extra weeks work for OT is a decent $$ ...do it a couple times a year when you are scheduled for two weeks off, and it adds up.

itsmytime 08-09-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2651864)
Most do...

And like at many places, OT is available, as are TDY assignments that both may extra... likewise a HBC that does an extra weeks work for OT is a decent $$ ...do it a couple times a year when you are scheduled for two weeks off, and it adds up.

awesome! so if I work over both of my vacations, I can make some good coin.