Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

0000 07-28-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by lraber33 (Post 2400595)
Pilot with approx. 4000 total time most of which is PIC, 1200 PIC in a 208, ATP multi rating but very little multi time (approx. 60). What A/C would they be a candidate for? Hoping for the EMB120 as PIC however the 1900 would be great too.

PA31 or BE99 with your multi time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatehold 07-28-2017 09:54 AM

Can someone let me know the current hiring profile from initial call to interview. e.g., got a call, phone interview, sim check, offer.

Thanks

cynicalaviator 07-28-2017 05:27 PM

Asking for a friend of mine: what's the current hiring outlook for a 500 hr pilot?

frmrbuffdrvr 07-29-2017 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by cynicalaviator (Post 2401047)
Asking for a friend of mine: what's the current hiring outlook for a 500 hr pilot?

At 500 hours, the only position available is E120 FO, provided we have a current opening and you have a minimum of 25 hours multi time. Those are the bare minimum requirements and we have many applicants for a limited number of spots. Once you get to 800 hours, you become eligible for our Accelerated Captain Program. There you are trained as a first officer in the BE99 to gain hours and experience in our system. This is also where you can work on getting to not just the 1200 hours required for an IFR captain, but also your cross country, night, and instrument time requirements. Once you reach about 1000 hours total time, we are currently checking pilots as VFR captains. You would continue to build time flying as a VFR captain (weather permitting) and as an FO until you approach 1200 hours. At that point you would be paired with a training captain to get you ready for your instrument check ride (135.297.) Once that is completed you would be released to the line as an unrestricted IFR captain.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-29-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by lraber33 (Post 2400595)
Pilot with approx. 4000 total time most of which is PIC, 1200 PIC in a 208, ATP multi rating but very little multi time (approx. 60). What A/C would they be a candidate for? Hoping for the EMB120 as PIC however the 1900 would be great too.

Your total time is great, but only 60 hours multi is too low for a 120 PIC. It might even be a bit low for the 1900. I would think the most likely path would be to start in the BE99, get a couple hundred hours multi time (4-6 months) then bid to the 1900. After 6 months to a year there (maybe sooner, depending on need and your performance) you would be in a position to bid into the 120.

Cefiro 07-29-2017 06:09 PM

People are complaining the training is too intense? Single pilot 135 in a turbine with no autopilot is the most difficult flying you'll ever do. It should be intense! As a 121 captain, my job is way easier than when I flew 135 (not ameriflight, but same type of flying).

Jetlife 07-30-2017 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cefiro (Post 2401490)
People are complaining the training is too intense? Single pilot 135 in a turbine with no autopilot is the most difficult flying you'll ever do. It should be intense! As a 121 captain, my job is way easier than when I flew 135 (not ameriflight, but same type of flying).

All training programs are intense, but AMF used to have a very small training window. If you didn’t fit within that window, you were booted. If anything, the training at AMF needs to be longer than a 121 initial, which it isn’t, even today it isn’t.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-01-2017 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2401702)
All training programs are intense, but AMF used to have a very small training window. If you didn’t fit within that window, you were booted. If anything, the training at AMF needs to be longer than a 121 initial, which it isn’t, even today it isn’t.

How long do you think it should be?

I've known metro trainees that have done indoc (1 week), aircraft ground (one week), Sims (4 - 6 sims), 3 weeks of online training and then couldn't pass a check ride. And one particular was a pilot who (at least according to his log book) had over 10,000 hours.

Jetlife 08-01-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2402540)
How long do you think it should be?

I've known metro trainees that have done indoc (1 week), aircraft ground (one week), Sims (4 - 6 sims), 3 weeks of online training and then couldn't pass a check ride. And one particular was a pilot who (at least according to his log book) had over 10,000 hours.

3 weeks of online training means nothing. 6 sims? That’s what I had for the Airbus which is way easier to fly and I had a crew member. 1 week of systems, 6 MFTD seasons, 6 sims with 2 prep sims. And that’s to fly an airplane that flies it’s self. Only a few people will fit into the mold that AMF expects, which is why the washout rate is so high. Take an antiquated airplane meant for 2 people, then make it so you have to learn a bunch of irrelevant, mundane systems knowledge, tack on complex flows and memory items, and compress it to a timeframe that’s shorter than modern aircraft. It defies common logic. But that’s the AMF way, and that’s how it’s always been done so why change it. :)

FreightDogs 08-01-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by gatehold (Post 2400808)
Can someone let me know the current hiring profile from initial call to interview. e.g., got a call, phone interview, sim check, offer.

Thanks

Hi, there!

Here's the typical break down:
Pilot fills out our quick application (asks for basic info and times).
If you meet our mins, a recruiter will send you the longer application (goes in depth - like your work history, etc).
Once you fill that out, the recruiter will be alerted and will review it and call you. They'll go over your times, discuss your desires (where you want to be located, what aircraft, when you'll be available for training, etc.), and ask you some general HR questions. If you are good to go from there, they'll send you a link to a video interview called RIVs where you'll answer six flying-related questions. They'll be alerted when you submit it and will review your answers.
They will then give you a call and either offer you a position, ask you a few more questions, or tell you what they need from you.

The whole process can take as little as one day depending on how busy you are.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any other questions you have!