Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Dscshooter 03-22-2018 03:03 PM

Hopeful

Well im 40 now, about to retire in four more years from my current career, and want to look at flying freight one day. Im asel amel with inst at 150 hrs and working toward my comm and cfi. I decided to buy a 172 and will soon be racking up the next 100 hours to get ready. My instructor back in 2000 told me about Ameriflight and ive been wanting to meet the requirements and apply since. I am also hoping to fly out of CVG IF im lucky enough to get hired. Any pointers from people who have made it and pointers for getting a spot at CVG? I know its a bit premature to ask with four years left until retirement but why not ask and see, right?

I went to ATP back in 2002 for my multi add on. Disappointed they dont have a cfi program now except for the full on atp program.

aerobeard 03-23-2018 04:24 AM

Would the low ME time matter? I have all he other requirements. Also, what are the chances of being PHX based?

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2556330)
Your TT would have you qualified for an EMB120 First Officer position.
Here's the full list of flight hours required to be hired on for one of those positions:
500 TT, 25 ME, 100 XC (defined as point to point), 25 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument

Hope that helps!

frmrbuffdrvr 03-23-2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dscshooter (Post 2556672)
Well im 40 now, about to retire in four more years from my current career, and want to look at flying freight one day. Im asel amel with inst at 150 hrs and working toward my comm and cfi. I decided to buy a 172 and will soon be racking up the next 100 hours to get ready. My instructor back in 2000 told me about Ameriflight and ive been wanting to meet the requirements and apply since. I am also hoping to fly out of CVG IF im lucky enough to get hired. Any pointers from people who have made it and pointers for getting a spot at CVG? I know its a bit premature to ask with four years left until retirement but why not ask and see, right?

I went to ATP back in 2002 for my multi add on. Disappointed they dont have a cfi program now except for the full on atp program.

You probably won't be able to start directly in CVG. Currently the only planes operating out of CVG are BE1900 and SA227, both which require type ratings and roughly 1600-2000 hour TT and 750 ME minimum to get into. So you would either need to get the time some other way or start in the BE99 or right seat in the E120 at another base with us. But as a goal, it is definitely doable.

endlessnight 03-23-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2557503)
You probably won't be able to start directly in CVG. Currently the only planes operating out of CVG are BE1900 and SA227, both which require type ratings and roughly 1600-2000 hour TT and 750 ME minimum to get into. So you would either need to get the time some other way or start in the BE99 or right seat in the E120 at another base with us. But as a goal, it is definitely doable.

Ameriflight isn't really hard up for pilots, I have a lot of hours and they declined to hire me. Not sure exactly why, but I think it was because I wasn't current. Now I'm current IFR 135 in a twin, so don't need a job. I wish them the best though!

SonicFlyer 03-23-2018 09:00 PM

What bases do the EMB120 operate out of? :confused:

Dscshooter 03-24-2018 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2557503)

Thanks so much for the early info! Thats what i needed to know. Im hoping i can stay relatively close to KY during my first gig (wife and kids). Ive always wanted to fly for Ameriflight since my instructor told me a story about new pilots having to take a football helmet with them when flying out of the southwest because of turbulance over the mountains. Now he may have been embellishing a little but it always intrigued me and felt it was a challenge worth taking. Had my eye on working for Ameriflight ever since.

frmrbuffdrvr 03-24-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sonicflyer (Post 2557560)
what bases do the emb120 operate out of? :confused:

bfi, pdx, slc, bur, phx & bqn

Helios 03-24-2018 12:39 PM

Hi folks,

I am curious if there are any present (or upcoming) PIC openings for the EMB-120 or SA-227 in PHX?

Or perhaps, a floater PIC position in the EMB-120?

Or perhaps in DFW (I have family there).

I am Typed in the Metro and flew for Ameriflight twenty years ago.
I have a bit over 1300 hours of PIC time in each the SA-227, and, in the B737
series, among other various Type Ratings / flight time. I enjoyed my time at Ameriflight in the '90s and am looking at this as a quality of life move; getting hired on by Ameriflight. I have a business jet PIC job that I will be going into training for soon and Ameriflight actually pays substantially more than their offering, although both offer a good quality of life. I am hoping to find something at Ameriflight before the training begins at the other operation.

Thank you for your help!

frmrbuffdrvr 03-24-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Helios (Post 2557930)
Hi folks,

I am curious if there are any present (or upcoming) PIC openings for the EMB-120 or SA-227 in PHX?

Or perhaps, a floater PIC position in the EMB-120?

Or perhaps in DFW (I have family there).

I am Typed in the Metro and flew for Ameriflight twenty years ago.
I have a bit over 1300 hours of PIC time in each the SA-227, and, in the B737
series, among other various Type Ratings / flight time. I enjoyed my time at Ameriflight in the '90s and am looking at this as a quality of life move; getting hired on by Ameriflight. I have a business jet PIC job that I will be going into training for soon and Ameriflight actually pays substantially more than their offering, although both offer a good quality of life. I am hoping to find something at Ameriflight before the training begins at the other operation.

Thank you for your help!

Ask a recruiter about Home Based Captain.

Helios 03-24-2018 01:00 PM

Thank you Sir,

I am awaiting a reply from a recruiter and thought I might find some info here as well, prior to the recruiter getting back to me.
I forgot to use the term "Home Based Captain" instead of "floater".
Thanks for the reminder, I appreciate it!