Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FreightDogs 03-28-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2560124)
Hi FreightDogs, I have heard a rumor that the Chieftain runs will be going away soon. Is this true?

That's true. By the end of the year, we hope to be an all-turbine fleet!
Not to worry, we have plans for our Chieftain pilots and will transition them as we upgrade those routes. :)

FreightDogs 03-28-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by endlessnight (Post 2560195)
Darn. And I just checked out in a PA-31

No worries! We aren't getting rid of them tomorrow.
All Chieftain pilots will transition as we upgrade the routes.
Some Chieftain Captains have already come in for BE99 training and others are on deck. :)

own nav 03-28-2018 10:47 AM

A decade ago, they were retiring the Lance, 402, and the Learjets. They were talking about phasing out the Chieftain fleet back then, it has held on for a long time.

endlessnight 03-28-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2560467)
EN, they want you and expect you to eventually transition up into a larger airplane. I'm sure they will allow you plenty of time. (And I think it's fair to say that most Chieftain pilots are looking forward to the day when they fly something larger.)

Or do you want to stay in the Chieftain?

Well, I'm not working for Ameriflight. Got hired by a different freight company that operates Chieftains too. Sorry that wasn't clear. I'll get good and current and then move to a turbo prop operator in 6 months or so. I want this company to recoup their training investment.

Dscshooter 03-28-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2559895)
They fly the regular runs. Most small package runs (UPS, FedEx, DHL) run Monday through Friday or Saturday morning. There are some runs that operate on the weekends for some other customers.

If you are in a time building position, the goal is to build time. If you need time off, we can usually accommodate that. But we want you to get to "captain numbers" as quick as possible.

Thanks for the info!

SonicFlyer 03-28-2018 05:37 PM

All of the turboprobs except the EMB120 are single-pilot?

SonicFlyer 03-28-2018 05:38 PM

And it looks like Ameriflight allows facial hair?

own nav 03-28-2018 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 2560819)
All of the turboprobs except the EMB120 are single-pilot?

Right. They can all be flown single pilot except the EMB 120. You can still have an FO on the others (ie the ACP program), and there is an exemption that allows them to log the time. The time logged under the exemption can be used toward part 135 captain minimums, but not toward ATP requirements.

own nav 03-28-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 2560821)
And it looks like Ameriflight allows facial hair?

Or they don't enforce it... Guys with scruffy looking beards, and overall poor grooming standards will draw attention to themselves. I don't feel the scrutiny is anywhere near what it was when I flew passengers, but there are basic expectations.

SonicFlyer 03-28-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2560844)
Or they don't enforce it... Guys with scruffy looking beards, and overall poor grooming standards will draw attention to themselves. I don't feel the scrutiny is anywhere near what it was when I flew passengers, but there are basic expectations.

I'm ugly without facial hair, so this really makes me have more respect for Ameriflight!

Here is one of their recruitment videos, with facial hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwKaY3YTJV0