Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Rcordeiro122592 04-02-2020 07:38 AM

Hey all,

I’m considering a move to DFW, is every plane based in DFW? Would it be possible to have a schedule that allows me to be home every night? Do you get most weekends and holidays off?? I have an ATP 2400tt 1700multi 1600pic part 135 single pilot IFR experience. No turbine time though, would it be likely if I start in the 1900 or metro?

frmrbuffdrvr 04-02-2020 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 (Post 3020643)
Hey all,

I’m considering a move to DFW, is every plane based in DFW? Would it be possible to have a schedule that allows me to be home every night? Do you get most weekends and holidays off?? I have an ATP 2400tt 1700multi 1600pic part 135 single pilot IFR experience. No turbine time though, would it be likely if I start in the 1900 or metro?

We have BE99, BE1900 and SA227 based in DFW. Most DFW 99 and 1900 runs are home at night, though there is always the possibility you could get stuck out for maintenance or if you are needed to cover another base's run for a while. Several of our runs operate on Saturday mornings, so you can't always have the full weekend off. Holidays are dependent on the customer. Example; you will probably not fly on Thanksgiving but you can plan on flying on "Black Friday." Same thing with Christmas. Christmas Day will likely be off but you WILL be flying on Christmas eve and on the 26th.

The DFW metros currently are not assigned to scheduled run, so they tend to be out from the base for a couple days at a time.

As far as going straight to the 1900 or metro without turbine time, you would need to talk with recruiting about that.

Rcordeiro122592 04-02-2020 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 3020760)
We have BE99, BE1900 and SA227 based in DFW. Most DFW 99 and 1900 runs are home at night, though there is always the possibility you could get stuck out for maintenance or if you are needed to cover another base's run for a while. Several of our runs operate on Saturday mornings, so you can't always have the full weekend off. Holidays are dependent on the customer. Example; you will probably not fly on Thanksgiving but you can plan on flying on "Black Friday." Same thing with Christmas. Christmas Day will likely be off but you WILL be flying on Christmas eve and on the 26th.

The DFW metros currently are not assigned to scheduled run, so they tend to be out from the base for a couple days at a time.

As far as going straight to the 1900 or metro without turbine time, you would need to talk with recruiting about that.

thanks for the great info!

do the airplanes have an autopilot? And is there a pay bump if you’re duel qualified?

frmrbuffdrvr 04-03-2020 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 (Post 3021080)
thanks for the great info!

do the airplanes have an autopilot? And is there a pay bump if you’re duel qualified?

Most of the airplanes have autopilots. Though there might be a few BE99s that don't.

If you are dual qualified, you are paid at the higher rate regardless of which airplane you are flying.

SIUav8er 04-03-2020 12:35 PM

Since when did any Amflight run become commutable!?

Im pretty sure I will be on the street October 1 if this plague doesnt end soon! (my airline took part in the bailout so no furloughs for us till then).

As a former SA227 driver over there, what are the chances be of being hired into the sewer pipe off the street? Of course I left on good terms, never had any "issues" while I was there (2009-2013).

Are you guys still flying it single pilot? Thinking my furlough date would most likely be right before peak so it made me think AMF may be an option for me. Also, how senior is SJU/BQN these days? Wouldnt maind going out there to ride out the (potential) furlough.

FreightDogs 04-03-2020 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SIUav8er (Post 3022365)

Im pretty sure I will be on the street October 1 if this plague doesnt end soon! (my airline took part in the bailout so no furloughs for us till then).

As a former SA227 driver over there, what are the chances be of being hired into the sewer pipe off the street? Of course I left on good terms, never had any "issues" while I was there (2009-2013).

Are you guys still flying it single pilot? Thinking my furlough date would most likely be right before peak so it made me think AMF may be an option for me. Also, how senior is SJU/BQN these days? Wouldnt maind going out there to ride out the (potential) furlough.

Ameriflight is still not commutable. Pilots must live within 1.5 hours of the base they are assigned to (agreed upon with their recruiter before signing their offer letter). Maybe BrazilBusDriver is doing that on his own, not sure.

Yes, we hire SA227 Captains off the street. Your experience with it is a huge plus!

Still flying it mostly single pilot.

No PR openings at the moment, but with the number of routes and aircraft, they'll pop open, no doubt!

SIUav8er 04-03-2020 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 3022385)
Ameriflight is still not commutable. Pilots must live within 1.5 hours of the base they are assigned to (agreed upon with their recruiter before signing their offer letter). Maybe BrazilBusDriver is doing that on his own, not sure.

Yes, we hire SA227 Captains off the street. Your experience with it is a huge plus!

No PR openings at the moment, but with the number of routes and aircraft, they'll pop open, no doubt!

Great info! Thank you!

BrazilBusDriver 04-04-2020 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 3022385)

Yeah by “commute” I really mean get an apartment in base and fly home and/or drag the family out every few weeks for 24-36 hours until we can sell the current place.

A little tough to show houses at the moment with those pesky shelter in place orders. We’ll have been there 24 months come early November so we’ll probably start showing the place in September, assuming my state’s shelter in place order is lifted. Can’t wait to get taken to the cleaners!

Edit: housing situation.

BrazilBusDriver 04-04-2020 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SIUav8er (Post 3022365)

Heh, I probably deserve that - poor choice of words. :o We throw around that word "commute" all over this board, so I've just gotten used to saying it, but I'm aware of the type of schedule I'll be working and I guess I really meant "maintain two households" until I can sell or rent the current place...I'd like to think the end of shelter in place here would line up okay with finishing training, but as an eternal worst case planner, I'm running on the assumption I'm gonna have to pay for an apartment for me and a mortgage payment for them for 4-6 months.

Know this is a small industry, so I really don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm gonna be some flake that will miscommute to work all the time, cause I'm not and I won't. I'm looking forward to working here and the baseline assumption we have is that we're moving once we're legally able to do so.

Who knew words meant things? :rolleyes:

CRJJ 04-04-2020 03:38 PM

Wow! those Beech 99 jobs disappeared fast. You'd normally see an entire list of jobs, and now there's just a handful.
Is it possible to get hired into the 1900 with 1500h? (500h turbine and 1000h multi)