Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Oldog 05-30-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 802940)
Its a Frasca Sim. Study VFR/IFR charts, approach plates and scenario questions regarding approaches, weather and alternates. Know the systems of the aircraft you have recent or most time in and be yourself. "Say your prayers and take your vitamins" and you should be ok. GL

At BUR the sim usually used for pre-hires is a Chieftain box custom built by ATC Flight Simulator years ago. One of the easiest sims to fly there is. So stable they usually keep a little turbulence cranked in so you can't just point it and sit there. At other stations they use what's available -- Frasca, AST, etc.

Being current and sharp on the gages is A LOT more important than experience in a specific kind of simulator. If you don't have recent, hands-on instrument flying experience you'll have a tough time. Unless you're flying in the goo on a daily basis, a couple of hours of line-oriented flying with plenty of terminal procedures in almost any kind of reasonably sophisticated FTD (has to be above the PC-based desktop ones) will do the trick.

freightdog 05-31-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 819544)
At BUR the sim usually used for pre-hires is a Chieftain box custom built by ATC Flight Simulator years ago. One of the easiest sims to fly there is. So stable they usually keep a little turbulence cranked in so you can't just point it and sit there. At other stations they use what's available -- Frasca, AST, etc.

Being current and sharp on the gages is A LOT more important than experience in a specific kind of simulator. If you don't have recent, hands-on instrument flying experience you'll have a tough time. Unless you're flying in the goo on a daily basis, a couple of hours of line-oriented flying with plenty of terminal procedures in almost any kind of reasonably sophisticated FTD (has to be above the PC-based desktop ones) will do the trick.

Good advice oldog, also anyone who's looking at the gouges for AMF the BUR ILS 8 has recently changed. Those changes might show up as questions in future interviews.

Petethedog 05-31-2010 11:27 AM

Has something changed? I read that amflight stopped a new-hire class a month or so ago and suspended hiring for the time being. No open positions listed on the website either... though they are accepting resumes. I'd be interested in OAK if they were to hire. Anyone know if the ice is breaking up on the hiring front? Thanks!

propjunkie 06-01-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Petethedog (Post 819806)
Has something changed? I read that amflight stopped a new-hire class a month or so ago and suspended hiring for the time being. No open positions listed on the website either... though they are accepting resumes. I'd be interested in OAK if they were to hire. Anyone know if the ice is breaking up on the hiring front? Thanks!

Ice?.....Definitely not. We hired to many people in anticipation of work that never came. I would be surprised if there isn't another new hire class in a couple months.

Oldog 06-05-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 819803)
Good advice oldog, also anyone who's looking at the gouges for AMF the BUR ILS 8 has recently changed. Those changes might show up as questions in future interviews.

I say again -- it's a lot more important to be generally sharp than to try to sandbag the interview by boning up on info in "gouges" that may or may not be correct or current.

The specific questions you'll get asked, and the things you'll get to do in the sim, vary from time to time and from interviewer to interviewer. In my opinion the gouge approach is the wrong way to go.

F2GSuper 06-05-2010 06:14 PM

What effect will the UPS furloughs have on you guys? Will this lead to a reduction in flying for AMF?

da_flyn_hawyn 06-05-2010 08:18 PM

Really? You think there might be a class in a couple of months! My good friend just got furloughed there, good to here that it might come back up. Where did you here this so I can tell him.

febtober29 06-06-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by F2GSuper (Post 822132)
What effect will the UPS furloughs have on you guys? Will this lead to a reduction in flying for AMF?

It won't affect AMF at all. The UPS furloughs are coming at a time when that company is actually increasing its flying. On the AMF side a couple runs have moved to larger equipment, this is a reversal from a year ago when a few runs were downgraded.

freightdog 06-07-2010 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by febtober29 (Post 822417)
It won't affect AMF at all. The UPS furloughs are coming at a time when that company is actually increasing its flying. On the AMF side a couple runs have moved to larger equipment, this is a reversal from a year ago when a few runs were downgraded.

By the time UPS furloughs all those pilots they are going to have to bring them back with the increase in flying that's happening. Our international flying seems to be picking up as well.

Planewatcher 06-09-2010 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 819156)
My spies are everywhere.

I think you mean eyes!