Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

What are "Part 135 Minimums"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Flight Instructor

So, lets say I went to an airport 10 miles away. Took .3 onthe hobbs to get there. Then I took off and flew around for an hour before laninding at my home base airport. Could I log it has 1.3 x-c?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by N6724G View Post
So, lets say I went to an airport 10 miles away. Took .3 onthe hobbs to get there. Then I took off and flew around for an hour before laninding at my home base airport. Could I log it has 1.3 x-c?
Absolutely.

And at any rate, who's gonna know? Or care?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: Jetstream 3201 ....right

that is precisely what I said before. Let me add this though. I suppose if you are going on a flight lesson to simply navigate to and land at another airport and it takes you ten minutes to get there you could technically complete that lesson thus ending the intent of the flight. Now that you are there you decided to proceed with another lesson on steep turns or power on stalls. Now this portion would technically not count I guess. Does that make sense. Obviously we are getting deeper than is really necessary. I bring this up to make a different point. Say you are doing a lesson that requires a cross country flight for the purposes of meeting experience requirements for a commercial pilot certificate. You select an airport 75 miles away and begin the flight. Due to a mechanical abnormality you divert to an airport 40 miles into the flight. Unfortunately for you Murphy has met you at the airport and you need to overnight while waiting for a mechanic to come out in the morning. Then next morning you get on your way and complete the last 35 miles of the flight. Guess what, both flights count at XC time towards your experience requirement even though neither flight was over 50 miles. It technically and legally counts as one flight because both legs where part of the same original intent. Anyone out there care?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Piper Commander

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: PA44 - Right

Originally Posted by HungryPilot View Post
oh, i'm sorry i'm an idiot. No you definitely need the atp written exam. For some reason I was thinking a 135 written which there is no such thing. My fault.
It's all good. There is an ATP 135 written but it's nearly the same as the 121. Don't hold me to it but instead of one of the aircraft, you get the joy of computing the 1900 performance data. Also, the different FAR's.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Piper Commander

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: PA44 - Right

Originally Posted by HungryPilot View Post
Anyone out there care?
I agree. It's all about intent.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Flight Instructor

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
Absolutely.

And at any rate, who's gonna know? Or care?
sorry. Just thinking about that whole Integrity thing. The military mase me "ethical" forgot the airline cutlture is a bit different.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
PIC requirements:

VFR:
Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
500 TT, 100 XC, 25 night XC

IFR:
Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
1200TT, 500 XC, 100 night, 75 instrument (of which 50 are in flight)
Im bringing this back up rather than making a new thread, but what Part 135 companies fly VFR? Wouldn't most fly under an IFR flight plan even in VFR conditions? So what good are the VFR 135 mins?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by thesweetlycool View Post
Im bringing this back up rather than making a new thread, but what Part 135 companies fly VFR? Wouldn't most fly under an IFR flight plan even in VFR conditions? So what good are the VFR 135 mins?
Lots of single engine operators around here are just "single pilot - single engine - VFR". It's the most basic certification level. They get it so they can call themselves an air carrier.

It happens.

Also, at my last employer, we were allowed to operate VFR. Normal ops were IFR, but VFR if it was operationally beneficial was allowed. No flight plan, just VFR with a sectional and the cargo.

-mini
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by softener View Post
Can anyone tell me what it means when an employer says "Part 135 minimums are a must"???
They're usually referring to minimum qualifications for Part 135 IFR pilot in command, which are set forth in 14CFR135.243(c). Below is extracted directly from the current "Electronic Code of Federal Regulations" maintained online by the Nation Archives and Records Administration, and accessible to anyone. It specifically says:

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under IFR unless that person—
(1) Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and
(2) Has had at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including 500 hours of cross country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were in actual flight; and
(3) For an airplane, holds an instrument rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category rating. . . .

Most operators hiring into multiengine airplane PIC positions will also have some minimum AMEL time requirement.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by minitour View Post
Also, at my last employer, we were allowed to operate VFR. Normal ops were IFR, but VFR if it was operationally beneficial was allowed. No flight plan, just VFR with a sectional and the cargo.