What are "Part 135 Minimums"?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

What are "Part 135 Minimums"?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by AviatorG View Post
I have a quick question...... So all of the IFR training I did where I flew to other airports to shoot approaches.... Would that count towards P135 XC requirements even though I did not land? Just performing Missed and then returning back to original point of Origin? Wouldn't this be just like the Bomber Issue? I am guessing not... It Does require a Landing Correct for Part 135...

Since I am a fairly new , and not quite sure the direction I am going......I am trying to structure my log book to satisfy both the 135 and ATP Requirements so that it is done no matter which route I end up...
You have to put wheels on pavement for it to be 135 XC. It's possible to do a touch and go then go into the missed if you want.

And I know what you mean. I just started a new logbook; on of the big pro ones with extra blank columns. I use the existing XC column for 50 mi with a landing, then have 2 more for airport to airport (135) and 50mi with no landing (ATP). I also created another PIC column where I log time as the "legal PIC", and not just an extra guy whose in the plane and authorized to log PIC (example: when I'm instructing a person whose qualified and current in the aircraft and he is "the real PIC").
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by MikeB525 View Post
You have to put wheels on pavement for it to be 135 XC. It's possible to do a touch and go then go into the missed if you want.

And I know what you mean. I just started a new logbook; on of the big pro ones with extra blank columns. I use the existing XC column for 50 mi with a landing, then have 2 more for airport to airport (135) and 50mi with no landing (ATP). I also created another PIC column where I log time as the "legal PIC", and not just an extra guy whose in the plane and authorized to log PIC (example: when I'm instructing a person whose qualified and current in the aircraft and he is "the real PIC").
Are you trying to say that when giving instruction to a rated pilot, that he has more right to log PIC than you as the instructor do? When you give instruction you consider yourself "just an extra guy whose in the plane"? You, my friend, are doing it wrong.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: EMB-145 FO

Originally Posted by word302 View Post
Are you trying to say that when giving instruction to a rated pilot, that he has more right to log PIC than you as the instructor do? When you give instruction you consider yourself "just an extra guy whose in the plane"? You, my friend, are doing it wrong.
I completely agree. Although I might be instructing even a commercial student, if things go wrong I am the one grabbing the controls. So who is the "real PIC"?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Thread Revival - Question about Part 135 minimums

The new restricted ATP minimums allow military pilots to obtain a restricted ATP with 750 hours of flight time, but Part 135 minimums require 1,200 for PIC. Does this mean a restricted ATP holder can serve as SIC for an airline, but cannot serve as PIC for a Part 135 operator?

I may have a lead on a corporate job, part 135, and if I am reading the regs correctly, I qualify for SIC with just a commercial and IFR currency. Would a type rating checkride with a corporate operator serve as the ATP checkride? I've heard of guys who get the King Air type rating in the military at a civilian training school being hooked up with an examiner to sign off the ATP, would the same be available with an initial type for a corporate operator?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: FO

Originally Posted by MooseAg03 View Post
Thread Revival - Question about Part 135 minimums

The new restricted ATP minimums allow military pilots to obtain a restricted ATP with 750 hours of flight time, but Part 135 minimums require 1,200 for PIC. Does this mean a restricted ATP holder can serve as SIC for an airline, but cannot serve as PIC for a Part 135 operator?

I may have a lead on a corporate job, part 135, and if I am reading the regs correctly, I qualify for SIC with just a commercial and IFR currency. Would a type rating checkride with a corporate operator serve as the ATP checkride? I've heard of guys who get the King Air type rating in the military at a civilian training school being hooked up with an examiner to sign off the ATP, would the same be available with an initial type for a corporate operator?
The short answer is yes. If you get a DPE qualified in your aircraft, or the FSDO's examiner for your company, they can give you an ATP checkride as part of your 135 checkride. It may be slightly different, since the company may have fewer or different requirements in the right seat, but as long as you complete the PTS, it counts.

As to the difference between a restricted ATP and part 135 PIC mins...that's why it's called a restricted ATP. For part 135 SIC read, yes, all you need is a commercial rating with instrument privileges in category and class.