Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: furloughed

Originally Posted by fwillette View Post
Stupid question but how does it work there, do they even need FO for all aircrafts? For example I have seen Bemidji Aviation fly PA-31 single pilot
I dont have much info on Keylime, but I did turn down an interview there last year after hearing about poor MX and the overall operation. In initial training at my airline they showed a runway incursion video of a Key lime aircraft accidentally taxiing on an active runway and nearly getting nailed by a UAL 737, so yes they have a reputation.

I did work at a Bemidji aviation several years ago and if it is anything like that, expect to be sittiing in the outstation all day with no hotel if its considered your 'base', loading/offloading 2-3K of freight several times a day, and few days off. BTW Bemidji flies BE58/80 Queen Air and BE99 not chieftans.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by dashtrash300 View Post
I sent in a resume a few days ago BEFORE I looked at this forum site. I am a little worried now. I want them to call so I can have a job but I am very worried about what I have read on here especially going into the Colorado winter and never doing 135 single pilot flying.
Dash,

I am headed out to Denver to start training with them in January. From what I can gather, and I have spoken to the director of training and the president, they do not do single pilot ops. They are currently looking for PICs for the Navajos though (I don't have the time yet) and have recently applied for their 121 cert. In my dealings with them thus far (only over the phone), I have been very impressed with their honesty and their attitude in general. I can certainly think of other places I'd like to be in the dead of winter, but I'd have to say, I don't think you can get any better experience as far as "real world" instrument flying is concerned. I don't see how that could look bad on a resume. Regardless, upon completion of training, I am going to try and sign on with them. I'll let you know what I think once the training starts. Good luck and I hope you get a call!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Dash,

I am headed out to Denver to start training with them in January. From what I can gather, and I have spoken to the director of training and the president, they do not do single pilot ops. They are currently looking for PICs for the Navajos though (I don't have the time yet) and have recently applied for their 121 cert. In my dealings with them thus far (only over the phone), I have been very impressed with their honesty and their attitude in general. I can certainly think of other places I'd like to be in the dead of winter, but I'd have to say, I don't think you can get any better experience as far as "real world" instrument flying is concerned. I don't see how that could look bad on a resume. Regardless, upon completion of training, I am going to try and sign on with them. I'll let you know what I think once the training starts. Good luck and I hope you get a call!
I hope you are not doing their pay for training program!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
I hope you are not doing their pay for training program!
Pirate,

That was the plan. Would I be better off lighting the money on fire? Sounds like you might know something I don't. I've been flying a 206 privately so this is my first dealing with a "legitimate"? 135 operation. Are you with flight express? I trained at Craig in Jacksonville and saw them flying in and out of there a bunch.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Pirate,

That was the plan. Would I be better off lighting the money on fire? Sounds like you might know something I don't. I've been flying a 206 privately so this is my first dealing with a "legitimate"? 135 operation. Are you with flight express? I trained at Craig in Jacksonville and saw them flying in and out of there a bunch.
I'm just one of those guys who believes in not paying for flight time.

Look at this way. If you do go there and fork over a ton of money (I know its not cheap) in hopes of working for them in the future you will probably see many flaws in their operation and quickly realize you do not want to work for them. So now you are left with some right seat time in a Navajo and nowhere to go. You could however look for another job, but realize that you will be competing with guys who already have thousands of hours of multi turbine PIC. It is not worth spending that kind of money to get flight time. I'm sure you can find someone with a King Air who is willing to let you sit right seat for free or even
compensation. Just a thought.

If I were you I would stick with the 206 gig until something that pays comes along. I know your position because I only have 55 multi and 2200tt, but I would never pay for multi time.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Key Lime (Last I heard) was approved for Single Pilot OPS. ...meaning that there is no such thing as SIC-Navajo.

from a legal stand-point anyhow
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
Key Lime (Last I heard) was approved for Single Pilot OPS. ...meaning that there is no such thing as SIC-Navajo.

my point exactly
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default ...

I don't know much about Key Lime's reputation or their legality issues, but I do have a friend that works there and he likes it just fine. I think at first he had a little trouble fitting in, but he's doing well now.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post

They can do both. Ameriflight does the same thing... and it is not them selling the right seat time. Some third party advertises right seat time, then pays the 135 operators (Ameriflight, Key Lime, etc) to let this person get some flight time.

I am not a fan of pay for training, but from what I have seen it is mostly chinese (and other foreign) students trying to get their 200 hours or so of multi so they can go back home and get their Airbus / Boeing job.

/shrug. I can see why the 135 operators do it... it's basically free money for them, but if I were you I would invest that money into a CFI/MEI and go get quality flight time where you are getting paid to be there.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
They can do both. Ameriflight does the same thing... and it is not them selling the right seat time. Some third party advertises right seat time, then pays the 135 operators (Ameriflight, Key Lime, etc) to let this person get some flight time.

I am not a fan of pay for training, but from what I have seen it is mostly chinese (and other foreign) students trying to get their 200 hours or so of multi so they can go back home and get their Airbus / Boeing job.

/shrug. I can see why the 135 operators do it... it's basically free money for them, but if I were you I would invest that money into a CFI/MEI and go get quality flight time where you are getting paid to be there.
Rat, and all,
Thanks for the info/advice. Is the time I would get essentially valueless? ie no such thing as SIC navajo time. These folks really seem legitimate, in so much as they were quite clear about the fact that the job was not guaranteed, but that with acceptable performance you would be given strong consideration. In my opinion, if this were a huge profit yielding scam, wouldn't ATP be doing it? Regardless, again, many thanks for the info, advice etc.