Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
If the part 135 ops specs make provisions for a first officer then they are a required crew member and the time is completely legal. Airlines across the nation operate planes that are certified for single pilot operations with a crew of two and all that time is legal.

Pay to play is coming back. A pilot can either sit on the sidelines and pay their dues in wasted years of their lives or they can pay in cash up front and get ahead. In the end we all pay for our jobs.

Skyhigh
Sky,
Thanks for the info! Nice to hear something a little positive.

Pirate,
I hear what you're saying, but like Sky says the sidelines are a waste. I've got to get a start somewhere and with the chance of a contract position I'm willing to sacrifice some money. I guess, as with most things, it's a gamble, but I appreciate your contribution. It's certainly good to get all sides.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Sky,
Thanks for the info! Nice to hear something a little positive.

Pirate,
I hear what you're saying, but like Sky says the sidelines are a waste. I've got to get a start somewhere and with the chance of a contract position I'm willing to sacrifice some money. I guess, as with most things, it's a gamble, but I appreciate your contribution. It's certainly good to get all sides.
Well...Best of luck to you no matter what you do and I'll try to keep my "told you so's" to myself
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
Well...Best of luck to you no matter what you do and I'll try to keep my "told you so's" to myself
Many thanks! Seriously, I appreciate the constructive advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe you can start a "told you so" thread. Hope not though .
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Many thanks! Seriously, I appreciate the constructive advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe you can start a "told you so" thread. Hope not though .
I hope not as well. And yes please keep us updated!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Comparison

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
Get ahead and go nowhere once you get there. Where is he suppose to go when there are thousands of pilots who already have better experience than he will be getting by sitting right seat in a PA-32?
It is possible he could be offered a full time job once he is done with his paid time. He also could buy more flight time. If he can get to 1500 hours he then could buy himself a type rating.

In the past companies would also sell PIC time. Perhaps he could buy some turbine or jet PIC and then be competitive once hiring resumes. In any case it is better than wasting away on the sidelines getting older and fatter every day while your dream passes you by.

In the 1990's some commuters and regionals sold type ratings to prospective applicants and then hired the ones out of class that they wanted. Once hiring resumes we could see this approach again.

Pay to play is going to make a comeback. The current generation of instructors and charter pilots will have to choose if they want the career bad enough to buy their way in.

Skyhigh
Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Underboob King

Position: Guppy Commander

It is possible he could be offered a full time job once he is done with his paid time. He also could buy more flight time. If he can get to 1500 hours he then could buy himself a type rating.

In the past companies would also sell PIC time. Perhaps he could buy some turbine or jet PIC and then be competitive once hiring resumes. In any case it is better than wasting away on the sidelines getting older and fatter every day while your dream passes you by.

In the 1990's some commuters and regionals sold type ratings to prospective applicants and then hired the ones out of class that they wanted. Once hiring resumes we could see this approach again.

Pay to play is going to make a comeback. The current generation of instructors and charter pilots will have to choose if they want the career bad enough to buy their way in.

Skyhigh
So not only do you tell people not to waste their time in this industry because its a dead end, but now you're trying to justify pay for training so people can advance their careers?

With the new mandatory hiring standards that are quickly approaching, I'm willing to bet that the pay for training wont be returning to the airlines. In fact i think that the airlines will have to PAY more to get people to come work there once the new rules take affect.

Time will tell
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Skyhigh
I completely disagree with almost everything you said, except "Skyhigh".
That is all.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.
Default Whatever

Just so everyone knows...there is no pilot brotherhood, there is no reward for hard work, there is no appreciation for skill, especially in this industry. No RJ pilot should ever talk about how anyone else is ruining the industry or undercutting people...ALL RJ pilots do is ruin and undercut the industry. Sorry but that is a fact.

If you don't have someone there to hand you a nice job, you have to go get it...there are many painful courses. If AFTER 1,200 to 1,500 hours from paying ones dues as a CFI/91 pilot, I say if you want to PFT go for it.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Self Employed.

Default I remember

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
So not only do you tell people not to waste their time in this industry because its a dead end, but now you're trying to justify pay for training so people can advance their careers?

With the new mandatory hiring standards that are quickly approaching, I'm willing to bet that the pay for training wont be returning to the airlines. In fact i think that the airlines will have to PAY more to get people to come work there once the new rules take affect.

Time will tell
I remember in the 1990's flight academy's had 1500 hour ATP packages. New pilots paid 100K or so to buy the flight time to go from zero to ATP. There will be ways to get around the new standards if they come to pass.

In addition airlines will sell jobs as well. It all will come back. Pay for your job will be a big hit.

The following is a public service message:

In case you did not know this industry is a dead end. If our ratings were worth anything at all theses programs would not exist.

The best plan is to save your money buy a house and forget about this flying nonsense altogether. That is all.

Skyhigh (because I am high on the sky )
Old 11-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Self Employed.

Default Bingo

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Just so everyone knows...there is no pilot brotherhood, there is no reward for hard work, there is no appreciation for skill, especially in this industry. No RJ pilot should ever talk about how anyone else is ruining the industry or undercutting people...ALL RJ pilots do is ruin and undercut the industry. Sorry but that is a fact.

If you don't have someone there to hand you a nice job, you have to go get it...there are many painful courses. If AFTER 1,200 to 1,500 hours from paying ones dues as a CFI/91 pilot, I say if you want to PFT go for it.
Agreed, in aviation there are no points for taking the hard road. If you have money and can buy a job then all the better. Others have parents in high places. Use the advantages that you have.

Skyhigh