Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
I'm just one of those guys who believes in not paying for flight time.

Look at this way. If you do go there and fork over a ton of money (I know its not cheap) in hopes of working for them in the future you will probably see many flaws in their operation and quickly realize you do not want to work for them. So now you are left with some right seat time in a Navajo and nowhere to go. You could however look for another job, but realize that you will be competing with guys who already have thousands of hours of multi turbine PIC. It is not worth spending that kind of money to get flight time. I'm sure you can find someone with a King Air who is willing to let you sit right seat for free or even
compensation. Just a thought.

If I were you I would stick with the 206 gig until something that pays comes along. I know your position because I only have 55 multi and 2200tt, but I would never pay for multi time.
Pirate,
Many thanks old boy. I certainly agree with you, unfortunately in these trying times, this appears to be a good entree' into the business. I've noticed there arent many of these programs out there. Do you think it's because it's a scam or because the scam companies cant make money off of said programs?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 777ER 747
Default To Plantation Air

hi man I am going over to in Jan PM please so we could talkmy email is
[email protected]
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Left

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Rat, and all,
Thanks for the info/advice. Is the time I would get essentially valueless? ie no such thing as SIC navajo time. These folks really seem legitimate, in so much as they were quite clear about the fact that the job was not guaranteed, but that with acceptable performance you would be given strong consideration. In my opinion, if this were a huge profit yielding scam, wouldn't ATP be doing it? Regardless, again, many thanks for the info, advice etc.
It's hard for me to say so I hesitate, I have no first hand experience with them. I have sent in a resume and heard nothing (SPIFR 135 experience and over 1000 dual) so I wonder why am I not getting a call for a legit position? I am in no way implying PFT is the reason but it still makes me scratch my head. I wonder if the other guy going in Jan is a PFT?

Anyway, enough with that. I know for a fact that logging SIC time in a single pilot airplane is technecly illegal however, I discussed it with our POI and he acknowledged it was illegal but added that there is no way to police it really. There are grey areas due to insurance or company requirements, for example. So it falls to the pilot's constution to decide what's right.(just my opinion, take it for what it's worth)

I believe you when you say they seem legitiment, and I believe they are. But I'd urge you to remember that you are potentially worth $20,000 to them. How would you act? If they wern't blowing some smoke in your direction well... they would loose your money. Another thing to consider is that with the economy like it is there isn't much movement, so even if you are the best Navajo SIC they've ever seen, they can't hire if there is no positions.

Be advised that everything any company does is to make a profit. The only reason ATP doesn't do this is because they don't have a 135 certificate... yet. ATP has there own form of this in the X-C phase where two pilots log time (legally) in the same airplane. They are charging both of you and only flying one plane. (I think it's a brilliant idea from a revenue stand point)

I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't care what you do. Everything I wrote was off the top of my head so take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't like the idea of PFT because I feel like a company should have to incure some cost to train me. That makes it so that they have a stake in weather or not I succeed.

I don't know how you feel about imperfect, underpowered airplanes flying in all weather mother nature has to throw at you. With appalling avionics. At night. At max weight with very few alternate options. In the Rockies. (BTW John Denver isn't full of s__t man!). No way in god's creation am I going to pay them to do that, they can pay me. That's how I feel.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with first hand knowledge.

Last edited by ZBowFlyz; 11-25-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: schpelling for the grammer police
Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
...That makes it so that they have a steak in weather or not I succeed.

I don't know how you feel about imperfect, underpowered airplanes flying in all weather mother nature has to throw at you. With apauling avionics...
So if you succeed, is it appalling that the company would offer you a steak?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Dash,

I am headed out to Denver to start training with them in January. From what I can gather, and I have spoken to the director of training and the president, they do not do single pilot ops.
Things may have changed (I don't keep up) but as recently as about two years ago, they were doing some single-pilot 135 cargo ops in Metroliners with no autopilot.

You might want to confirm that and, on the logging issue, try to determine whether their OpSpecs now require multiple pilots. There was a fairly well-publicized incursion problem involving Key Lime a few years ago and it's certainly possible that one of the fixes was the addition of a 2-pilot requirement.

Also, without being either for or against PIFT, read the employment agreement carefully, especially the pay-back provisions which tend to say that if you leave or they fire you, you have to pay them back for the training. Might even be worthwhile to join a legal service plan to have a lawyer take a look at it so you at least understand it.

As you continue to inquire, recognized that any operation is going to get mixed reviews from its current and former employees.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Left

Originally Posted by chignutsak View Post
So if you succeed, is it appalling that the company would offer you a steak?
Ah yes, both informitive and on topic.

If you care enough to waist a post maybe you should consider an english teaching position.

Last edited by ZBowFlyz; 11-25-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by taymor1234 View Post
hi man I am going over to in Jan PM please so we could talkmy email is
[email protected]
Check your e-mail.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Line Holder

I don't know how you feel about imperfect, underpowered airplanes flying in all weather mother nature has to throw at you. With apauling avionics. At night. At max weight with very few alternate options. In the Rockies. (BTW John Denver isn't full of s__t man!). No way in god's creation am I going to pay them to do that, they can pay me. That's how I feel.

Wow, no one really put it that way. Excellent points throughout! I guess the fact that they have any interest in this program right now is a testament to how desperate folks are to get a start in the business. Got a lot to think about though. Cheers.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default 135 Sic

If the part 135 ops specs make provisions for a first officer then they are a required crew member and the time is completely legal. Airlines across the nation operate planes that are certified for single pilot operations with a crew of two and all that time is legal.

Pay to play is coming back. A pilot can either sit on the sidelines and pay their dues in wasted years of their lives or they can pay in cash up front and get ahead. In the end we all pay for our jobs.

Skyhigh
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
If the part 135 ops specs make provisions for a first officer then they are a required crew member and the time is completely legal. Airlines across the nation operate planes that are certified for single pilot operations with a crew of two and all that time is legal.

Pay to play is coming back. A pilot can either sit on the sidelines and pay their dues in wasted years of their lives or they can pay in cash up front and get ahead. In the end we all pay for our jobs.

Skyhigh
Get ahead and go nowhere once you get there. Where is he suppose to go when there are thousands of pilots who already have better experience than he will be getting by sitting right seat in a PA-32?