Key Lime Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Joking

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
In that case, shouldn't they do it for a hobby instead of a career? I mean, i'm all about liking my job but money is a big factor in actually doing it. If I didn't need money, I would just go fly around for fun instead of finding a company to work for for free.
I kind of was joking. I learned to fly because I was good at it and loved to fly but more importantly because I thought I could earn a good living as well. It never occurred to me that people would actually pursue the profession solely because it was "fun".

It seems absurd to me that some would intentionally spend a small fortune on education and flight training to knowingly get a job that pays 18K. Yet here we are. The profession is being taken over by those who are willing to do your job for nothing.

If you are comfortable competing with that mindset then go ahead however if you expect to make a living at this profession then I think you had better take stock of the situation.

Skyhigh
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

I didn't get into flying because of the money. I had no idea what pilots got paid when I signed up for flying lessons. I just thought it would be a cool career. That being said, money is a factor in any job you take. Even if it's McDonalds paying 8 bucks an hour vs. Wendy's paying 8.50 an hour.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Self Employed.

Default Money is a factor

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
I didn't get into flying because of the money. I had no idea what pilots got paid when I signed up for flying lessons. I just thought it would be a cool career. That being said, money is a factor in any job you take. Even if it's McDonalds paying 8 bucks an hour vs. Wendy's paying 8.50 an hour.
Money is a factor however there is a growing number of people out there who are willing to work for free and surrender their lives to the company. I need to make a living and to be able to make a life.

Flying makes for a cool career but for a difficult life.

Skyhigh
Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Thrill Seat

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Sky,
Thanks for the info! Nice to hear something a little positive.

Pirate,
I hear what you're saying, but like Sky says the sidelines are a waste. I've got to get a start somewhere and with the chance of a contract position I'm willing to sacrifice some money. I guess, as with most things, it's a gamble, but I appreciate your contribution. It's certainly good to get all sides.
I can't read anymore I have to comment...
First Stay in the 206 if your flying for a private owner you WILL GAIN the EXPERIENCE your looking for because winter is comming and decision will have to be made. Every one on this thread has been in your position before flying a single looking to get into a turbine or just a multi because the airlines stopped hiring ppl with wet tickets. If the owner that you fly for travels a lot and is impressed with your skills he will get a bigger aircraft. I flew a Cutlass (C172R) many years ago for a private owner that ended up buying a sky master or the blender and flew him his wife and their dogs all around the northeast for a summer season with no radar. Dumb? Perhaps but I learned about using the resources that were provided to me as will you in the 206! and eventually convinced the owner to reactivate his nexrad account.

To cut this story short.. do your time in the little stuff, respect your self your not a ***** your a pilot. IF you are going to pay to play which I highly do NOT recommend at least go to someplace like Eagle Jet International and get a type in a falcon to fly frieght! It's your career so do as you please just remember Gulfstream Air cut their training program because of what Senators thinks about Colgan 3407!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
If the part 135 ops specs make provisions for a first officer then they are a required crew member and the time is completely legal. Airlines across the nation operate planes that are certified for single pilot operations with a crew of two and all that time is legal.

Pay to play is coming back. A pilot can either sit on the sidelines and pay their dues in wasted years of their lives or they can pay in cash up front and get ahead. In the end we all pay for our jobs.

Skyhigh
In certain situations SIC can be logged legally in a single pilot aircraft, our op specs called for a SIC in a PC12 for IFR 135 operations = legal.

As for the rest, define pay to play. I used to see guys coming through FSI who paid 10k for their initial training in a SAAB 340 for a well known regional. The company would repay that over time if they stuck it out.

Paying for right seat SIC time will not get you ahead, how do I know?

I have had the opportunity, but have not done so, to interview potential new hires at my current company. If you show up with time that includes right seat SIC in a Metro or PC12 it will mean no more to me than a guy that has piston PIC, it's just total time. We have had guy’s with piston only time excel, and others with multi turbine who’ve been shown the door.

That’s not what you wanted to hear is it?

Again, good luck.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by HawkerJet View Post
In certain situations SIC can be logged legally in a single pilot aircraft, our op specs called for a SIC in a PC12 for IFR 135 operations = legal.
Let me guess. Passenger carrying IFR operations or eligible on demand operations?

-mini
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Spoken like someone who has no money or parents in high places.

Skyhigh
Or a work ethic. Take your pick I guess...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Self Employed.

Default Don't feel bad

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Or a work ethic. Take your pick I guess...
Don't feel bad. I did not have contacts or money either. It really burned me up to see peers buy their jobs or lie and get ahead but that is life. We all have our advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it is right to try and talk others out of using what they have.

Skyhigh
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Don't feel bad. I did not have contacts or money either. It really burned me up to see peers buy their jobs or lie and get ahead but that is life. We all have our advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it is right to try and talk others out of using what they have.

Skyhigh
Why would I feel bad? I went into aviation knowing I was going to have to work hard and network. So far having a work ethic has worked great for me in aviation, just like it has for every other endeavour in my life.

I feel bad for the guys on here that feel entitled to flying jobs. They're going to be in for a big shock when they try to get a REAL job after wasting a bunch of money on crappy right seat schemes.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post

I feel bad for the guys on here that feel entitled to flying jobs. They're going to be in for a big shock when they try to get a REAL job after wasting a bunch of money on crappy right seat schemes.
Yeah, but we could create our own right seat scheme and at least benefit from it.

-mini