Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SeaPort Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: C182 Captain

Originally Posted by Natca View Post
It is deep since you will be MEL'ing things, working on the airplane (oil etc etc), flying since pilot in all weather, and doing about everything else on the airplane that does not need a wrench.
Pilots do MEL things on a pretty regular basis, but do not perform any maintenance. (Except for the occasional circuit breaker zip tie). Natca must have been flying in Alaska....the pilots in Memphis don't change oil or tires or anything like that. We write up the discrepancy, defer it if able, then keep flying or get another plane.

Originally Posted by Natca View Post
The flight training, yes they will wash you out without a question here. I a due to the cost of the flight training in the airplane. This company watches nickels and dimes....which is fine but historically the issue is super low timers that get fixated on just flying straight and level or worry to much about a small emergency/broken item (simulated training) that they fly right through localizers. A lot of low time people are uncomfortable with autopilot let along the pc12 box to start, they have issues. Instead of giving these guys 5-10 hours of flight to learn it is easier and more cost effective to move on to the next guy. But yes two washed out of my class for flying through localizers during their first checkride and the recheck the next day. For street captains it is typical for them to ask you to do steep turns while in a holding procedure.
SeaPort doesn't fly PC-12's anymore. Only caravans....which fly like a big 182, no big deal. At no time will a trainee be asked to do steep turns in holding either in training and especially not on the Checkride these days. Maybe when Natca was there but not any more.

The biggest challenge for most guys is learning the autopilot, company call-outs/profiles, and emergency procedures. None of those three are difficult, but unfortunately they are not stressed sufficiently by the training department especially to guys that have only done pt91 flying or have been watching other people fly as a CFI for the last 300 hours. If you know how to use a 430/530, understand the basic premise and operating modes of autopilots (hdg mode, nav mode, alt hold, pitch mode, arming nav while in hdg to intercept a localizer, etc), and study the company call-outs and EP's, you'll do fine. Of course you have to fly a round dial airplane under the hood to commercial instrument PTS standards too, but that should go without saying.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: CFI

Hi guys,

I'm a noob here and have been lurking and following this thread for weeks now. I currently have a Commercial Single Engine Land certificate with about 300 hours under my belt. I was wondering if Seaport hires low time guys with the hours I have. Their website doesn't really say any hard minimums but it does say apply with <500 then reapply after reaching 500.

To the Seaport people here, how much time did you have when you applied/accepted?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: CRJ Driver

Originally Posted by fltlvlchnge View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a noob here and have been lurking and following this thread for weeks now. I currently have a Commercial Single Engine Land certificate with about 300 hours under my belt. I was wondering if Seaport hires low time guys with the hours I have. Their website doesn't really say any hard minimums but it does say apply with <500 then reapply after reaching 500.

To the Seaport people here, how much time did you have when you applied/accepted?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
They just recently added that statement to their website. They due hire low time guys (<500). I personally know 2 guys in Nashville that were hired under 350, both still working there. Seaport is expanding with new locations, buying new airplanes, so they will most likely have another class this year (if I had to guess). Like they said, you can apply with under 500, but they are going to start calling everyone else first.

I put in my application this past summer when I had intel from a pilot they were running classes, called me roughly 6 weeks later.

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by fltlvlchnge View Post
There were 2-3 guys in my class that had around 300 or less. Most guys had 500 or more. 600 is the sweet spot. Then we get 6 months out of you as an FO then another 6 months as a Captain before the year contract is up.

The expansion that's happening soon (San Felipe, Visailia, Greenville, & Muscle Shoals.....plus the extra SAN-BUR and MEM-MCI direct flights) has the chief pilots' office looking hard for guys with or close to captain mins, but they need FO's too. A class started Monday last week and there's another one in December. Go ahead and apply and keep an updated resume on file with them. HR will call eventually. Be sure and stay night and IFR current!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: The ramp

Any idea when the class is going to be in December?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by RampFlyer View Post
Any idea when the class is going to be in December?
Typically the first week of the month are when classes start.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:55 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: CFI

To anyone who went thru the hiring and training process recently, please share some details. Also, info from anyone with the scoop on future hiring, class dates, and expansions are greatly appreciated. PM if necessary. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: EMB145
Default Same here

Would love to hear from anyone who went through the class in the summer. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Is the San Diego operation running? If so how big is it? And how hard would it be to get into the position. I'm moving back with family (San Diego) from Miami and was looking for an operation that was close to home. Fairly competitive hours, not super high but high enough.

Feel free to PM.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Would any current pilot at SeaPort be able to shed some light on the following questions? I looked through this thread but it goes back to 2008 so I'm looking for a more accurate picture. I have a full-time, non-aviation job and am working on my CFI. I don't think I am going to beat the 1,500hr rule with 330TT. But I want to do some research before taking the plunge.

1. Is this job commutable from Sacramento, CA to either MEM, PDX, or SAN?

2. If I submitted an application and was accepted into ground-school, would I be able to give my two-week notice to my current employer or would I have to go immediately into training?

3. Is there any grace period given by the company to relocate; Drive cross-country?

4. Are there any opportunities for pilots to potentially take on other roles inside the company like in management?

5. My understanding is that a FO will take home +/- $2000?

6. What is the discounted rates on other airlines that SeaPort mentions on their website for employees? Does this extend to family members?

If someone could answer my questions or shoot me a PM, I'd be more than grateful as I'm not submitting a resume lightly.

Thanks.