Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SeaPort Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: CFI with my own PA38

Originally Posted by ctab5060X View Post
Bases are awarded to new hires into vacant positions in seniority order.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I figured PDX would be super senior. I'm curious how much movement SeaPort is seeing at the top as far as FO positions opening up at PDX, and if pilots based out of MEM tend to transfer to PDX.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: E-175 FO

Originally Posted by Natca View Post
Alaska has its own set of pilots and like to hire locals and do their own thing.
I wouldn't really say "hire locals". "Do their own thing"? A bit, maybe, yeah. It's a fairly different environment from a 135 IFR operation, but it's the same company, and the pilot groups aren't wholly dissimilar.

-Fox
Old 08-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I wouldn't really say "hire locals". "Do their own thing"? A bit, maybe, yeah. It's a fairly different environment from a 135 IFR operation, but it's the same company, and the pilot groups aren't wholly dissimilar.

-Fox
I'm just saying there is no official bid process for transfers and or work rules.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: E-175 FO

Originally Posted by Natca View Post
I'm just saying there is no official bid process for transfers and or work rules.
Fair enough. "Hire locally" I think we can agree on. ^.^

-Fox
Old 08-15-2014, 01:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by TimeBuildwithMe View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I figured PDX would be super senior. I'm curious how much movement SeaPort is seeing at the top as far as FO positions opening up at PDX, and if pilots based out of MEM tend to transfer to PDX.
There are a few pilots that move from mem to Pdx every year, but not many. It typically takes 6-10 months after hiring on to be senior enough to transfer. Also keep in mind that even if you're a Captain in Memphis, that doesn't mean you'll be a captain in Portland. It's really only worth if if you're from the PacNW and have a wife and kids or something there. You'll fly a lot more in Memphis. If it's your goal to get to 1500 then move on, go to Memphis
Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Does anyone know if they have started interviewing or hiring again?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

So...I will be starting work there soon and am just a bit nervous about it. I don't want to commute so will be moving to Memphis. Which is fine by me as I have family there and like it there. Well north of Memphis anyway.

My concerns are with the training. I'm not to worried about the ground school. I am worried about the flight portion though. I've heard of guys washing out of the ground and of others failing the checkride. Do I need to be concerned? I know its only a caravan but I have done all of my instructing with private pilots. That being said, while I am instrument current and just had an IPC done not long ago, I wouldn't say I'm exactly the best instrument pilot. I am just worried about washing out.

I have made some big changes to move to Memphis and if I did mess up, is there a flight school close to there I might be able to get a job at. I'm just shy of ATP mins.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Out of the box!

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Pro to Line

Originally Posted by Orangemx View Post
So...I will be starting work there soon and am just a bit nervous about it. I don't want to commute so will be moving to Memphis. Which is fine by me as I have family there and like it there. Well north of Memphis anyway.

My concerns are with the training. I'm not to worried about the ground school. I am worried about the flight portion though. I've heard of guys washing out of the ground and of others failing the checkride. Do I need to be concerned? I know its only a caravan but I have done all of my instructing with private pilots. That being said, while I am instrument current and just had an IPC done not long ago, I wouldn't say I'm exactly the best instrument pilot. I am just worried about washing out.

I have made some big changes to move to Memphis and if I did mess up, is there a flight school close to there I might be able to get a job at. I'm just shy of ATP mins.
yes, in olive branch miss. Plenty of other flying jobs to have here. www.abjets.com if you want to do 135.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Orangemx View Post

Seaport has one of the most thorough ground schools I've ever had. It's not rocket science and they don't try to wash you out but due to the nature of the job it is very I depth. I really did enjoy it and still remember it and look back to it even to this day. (Current 121 and previous prior to seaport).... It is deep since you will be meling things, working on the airplane (oil etc etc), flying since pilot in all weather, and doing about everything else on the airplane that does not need a wrench. Not complaining just saying it is a good long course and I did like it a lot.

The flight training, yes they will wash you out without a question here. I a due to the cost of the flight training in the airplane. This company watches nickels and dimes....which is fine but historically the issue is super low timers that get fixated on just flying straight and level or worry to much about a small emergency/broken item (simulated training) that they fly right through localizers. A lot of low time people are uncomfortable with autopilot let along the pc12 box to start, they have issues. Instead of giving these guys 5-10 hours of flight to learn it is easier and more cost effective to move on to the next guy. But yes two washed out of my class for flying through localizers during their first checkride and the recheck the next day. For street captains it is typical for them to ask you to do steep turns while in a holding procedure.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Anyone hear back from SeaPort that interviewed August/September?