Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by beeker View Post
I am in the pool at cape air and Gene just gave me the list of cities that are going to have openings. The email that reads.

This class and the bases are: STL award cities, RUT (VT), SLK, (NY)
our ALBANY Region of upstate NY OGS-Ogsdenburg, MSS-Messena, ART-Watertown and LEB (Lebannon NH). All bases are out-station based. No MA / ie BOS or HYA bases.

Due to family reasons this looks like I will have to commute to start off and I was wondering if any cape air people had comments on these locations. Are there overnights or day trips? In these cities I will be looking for some sort of minimum transportation and lodging, like a crashpad, what is available? Does anyone have any ideas?
OGS
MSS
ART
LEB
are all very commutable schedules, we don't have any overnights anywhere so you will need a crashpad, which will be very difficult to find at these locations, plan on renting a second apartment. Pay is minimal - 35 hr min is all you are going to get (that is why these are so jr and unfilled)
SLK
RUT
these locations are less commutable but still doable especially if you have commuted in the past. Schedules have much higher line values such as 47-51 hours a week (remember anything over 40 hours is time and a half)

The good news on ALL of these locations is the cities have relatively low cost of living so you could potentially find apartments cheap, SLK is pretty much Lake Placid so rent is a bit higher due to the vacationers there. I would suggest moving to one of the upstate new york or stl locations if they are open and trying to get some sort of written garauntee stating you are base protected. in that location for a set amount of time. You could live pretty well on the pay if you were to move to the city but will have very low QOL if you are commuting

The lines for STL locations (Cape Girardeau, Decatur (which i hear we may not get), Quincy, and one more i can't think of) have not been determined as of this point, we have no way of knowing what the lines will look like there but most of us are expecting to see something along the lines of 4 on 4 off 35 hour a week lines

Just my .02
Congrats on getting hired, the job market SUCKS right now
Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: B6 CA

Is there a way of being able to stay in one location for more than a few months or whatever it is? I wonder mainly because most apts have you sign 12-month leases...and surely you guys want to settle in one place eventually? Just curious.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

you can be sure of your base if you are in the top 10% of seniority at the company or if you bid into a newly established route ie. The guys going to the STL flying are protected for 2 years & and when ALB flying was awarded those guys had a 2 year protection as well. Base protection is a heated topic these days!
A few of the Caribbean guys got bumped from their bases (guys that have held bases for a couple years), by senior people from the north for the winter season there has a been a bit of an outcry lately.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 9K Captain, Furloughed OH

Originally Posted by par8head View Post
you can be sure of your base if you are in the top 10% of seniority at the company or if you bid into a newly established route ie. The guys going to the STL flying are protected for 2 years & and when ALB flying was awarded those guys had a 2 year protection as well. Base protection is a heated topic these days!
A few of the Caribbean guys got bumped from their bases (guys that have held bases for a couple years), by senior people from the north for the winter season there has a been a bit of an outcry lately.

Base protection. whats that?? Don't quote me but I think you are only base protected for two years if you get the advance entitlement bid, which has come and gone for STL. As for new hires going into STL im pretty sure they could get bumped if there's a reduction in another base.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by smithee6 View Post
Base protection. whats that?? Don't quote me but I think you are only base protected for two years if you get the advance entitlement bid, which has come and gone for STL. As for new hires going into STL im pretty sure they could get bumped if there's a reduction in another base.
You are correct! Only the people in the advance entitlement bid are base protected for STL which has come and gone...maybe the new hires will get lucky and we will pick up some more EAS flying...otherwise prepare to see the north in the summer and the caribbean in the winter
Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

Its a good bet that the bottom 5-10 guys from here on out will be stuck in OGS-ART-MSS, year round. With only 35 hours pay a week, outstation basing, three leg commutes, and all the cold, snow & ice Lake Ontario can cook up; I find it hard to imagine that there will be a long line of people fighting over those assignments.

Half a dozen open lines on the bid which goes into effect next week....
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Does anyone know when the STL flyings is supposed to be awarded by the DOT?

The flying is supposed to start on November first, but what is the latest it can be awarded?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008

Hey, not to steer off your topic but I have a question. It's been asked before but never answered directly.

If hired by Cape Air, is it possible to commute, I.E. out of Atlanta ?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPLT View Post
Hey, not to steer off your topic but I have a question. It's been asked before but never answered directly.

If hired by Cape Air, is it possible to commute, I.E. out of Atlanta ?
It's certainly doable. There are quite a few commuters here, particularly furloughed 121 guys. We have a commuting policy just like many other airlines as well. The only two issues are these:

- Your line terminates at your base each night, so there are very rarely any hotels paid for by the company. Your housing is your responsibility each night when you get back to base. It's wonderful for those who live in base, but not so great for commuters.

- Unless you're based in BOS (not bloody likely) or SJU (still not likely), your commutes will probably be at least a 2-legger. You'll have to plan accordingly.

Either way, people do make it work. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Anyone heard anything about the proposed STL flying? Shouldn't that have been awarded by now?