Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: none ya...

I'm not sure what is happening, but for some reason the DOT last thrursday decided to postpone their decision, for 3 weeks. No one is quite sure why.....
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ERJ right

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever View Post
I'm not sure what is happening, but for some reason the DOT last thrursday decided to postpone their decision, for 3 weeks. No one is quite sure why.....
Source? That's not a good sign if it's true
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: probably seated

I think theres a bit of a sticking point with Decatur, Ft. Leonardwood (TBN), and Burlington. Decatur and Burlington picked an airline that promised them flights to ORD, which they (as of yet) can't officially provide. TBN selected Gulfstream who got none of the other selections and will not provide service to only one city. I don't know if DOT is giving the airline more time to negotiate for space at ORD or giving cities more time to make an alternate selection (or both).
Old 10-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BelowMins View Post
Source? That's not a good sign if it's true
This was the article I read last thursday.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/airport-carrier-100709
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever View Post
This was the article I read last thursday.

Since my previous posting the link doesnt seem to work here is the article for those interested......

Burlington air carrier decision delayed

By JEFF ABELL

[email protected]

Southeast Iowa Regional Airport officials will have to wait to learn which air carrier will be tapped to provide commercial service to the Burlington airport.

"They're telling us it will be a few more weeks before they announce their pick. That puts us in the difficult position of not knowing where we stand," said Mary Beaird, airport manager.

Federal transportation officials have postponed awarding a two-year contract for essential air service until later this month. The announcement was expected last week.

Great Lakes Aviation will continue to provide air service until the United States Department of Transportation awards a contract, according to Beaird.

The Wyoming-based air carrier, whose two-year contract expired in September, was not the choice of airport officials.

Instead, officials recommended Missouri-based Air Choice One to provide essential air service to the airport on Summer Street.

The decision was supported by the West Burlington and Burlington city councils and the Des Moines County Board of supervisors, all of whom have a financial stake in the airport.

"We have a great working relationship with Great Lakes. Our recommendation doesn't reflect on the quality of service they provide. It was based on destination," Beaird.

Air Choice One proposed two flights daily to St. Louis and the same number of flights to O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. The Chicago flights would be offered if the carrier can secure gate space at O'Hare.

Beaird said flights to Chicago are vital to the airport's future. She said: "We feel that having flights to O'Hare will increase our emplanements."

Great Lakes proposed maintaining its current schedule of three flights a day from Burlington to the Kansas City International Airport.

A year ago, the carrier offered flights to St. Louis, but the company found Kansas City travelers outnumbered those going to St. Louis by more than 2-to-1.

Gulfstream International proposed offering two flights a day to St. Louis. Gulfstream operates flights as a Continental Airlines commuter carrier.

Besides Burlington, other contracts up for bid include Cape Girardeau and Fort Leonard Wood, both in Missouri, as well as Illinois airports in Decatur, Marion and Quincy.

Fort Leonard Wood opted for Gulfstream, while Cape Girardeau, Marion and Quincy recommended Cape Air of Massachusetts, according to Beaird. It was unclear Tuesday which air carrier Decatur recommended to the U.S. DOT.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

STL delayed from NOV 1 to NOV 8, due to political reasons....I guess they are still acting as though we are winning the flying
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: I like seeing everything :)
Default Its Out

Burlington - Air Choice One (Multi Aero)
Cape Girardeau - Cape Air
Decatur - Air Choice One (Multi Aero)
Fort Leonard Wood - Great Lakes
Marion - Cape Air
Quincy - Cape Air
Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by travelnate View Post
Burlington - Air Choice One (Multi Aero)
Cape Girardeau - Cape Air
Decatur - Air Choice One (Multi Aero)
Fort Leonard Wood - Great Lakes
Marion - Cape Air
Quincy - Cape Air
Got a feeling some of these cities wont have service a year from now. Did Multi-Aero get the Caravans, and the gate at ORD? Didnt think so. Did ORD miraculously approve turbo props to come in now? Do they own more than one airplane? Did they oversell to those two cities? Only time will tell, but there is a reason none of the other proposals promised ORD as a hub.

Last edited by TPROP4ever; 10-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: I like seeing everything :)

Does Cape Air fly in IFR conditions? These cities will be IFR only close to 50 - 60 days a year.

My only experience with 9K (all great, btw) are the Florida & San Juan ops with single pilots.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by travelnate View Post
Does Cape Air fly in IFR conditions? These cities will be IFR only close to 50 - 60 days a year.

My only experience with 9K (all great, btw) are the Florida & San Juan ops with single pilots.

Good questions, not sure exactly how they are going to do single pilot 135 scheduled ops , but I'm sure its some waiver or LOA they have and involves an autopilot. Mabye they will have some FO's on the 402's I guess. NightIp can you fill us in on how this works for your op-spec.