Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
rudiMENTAL, Would you mind sharing your times? I'd like to apply possibly this fall for an FO position with them, so I'm just curious what they're hiring at for the position. (I know their website states 1000TT)
Thanks!

PM sent...
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by The701Express View Post
If you come in as an FO, give the company at least 12 months once you get your ATP and you'll be more than welcome to move on and remain in good standing. 12 months is enough time for the company to make a return on their end of the investment (training you). It's also enough time for you to enjoy at least 2 seasons of flying, perhaps flying in a different region or two, or three, and to get some solid experience as well as a few good flying and non-flying stories along the way to help pass time at your new job/crashpad/over beers.

Do your homework and know what you're getting into. If you get an interview, be yourself. If you get the job, don't be in so much of a rush to move on that you miss out on enjoying the job.
^^^Agree with all above and enjoy it until its time to move on^^^
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Line Holder

If you come in as an FO, give the company at least 12 months once you get your ATP and you'll be more than welcome to move on and remain in good standing. 12 months is enough time for the company to make a return on their end of the investment (training you). It's also enough time for you to enjoy at least 2 seasons of flying, perhaps flying in a different region or two, or three, and to get some solid experience as well as a few good flying and non-flying stories along the way to help pass time at your new job/crashpad/over beers.

Do your homework and know what you're getting into. If you get an interview, be yourself. If you get the job, don't be in so much of a rush to move on that you miss out on enjoying the job.
Thanks! The company sounds great overall (I don't really care too much about $, and most anything is an increase in pay from flight instructing and I wouldn't have to pay for a crash pad!), so I doubt I'll be in any hurry to move on. Plus, like you mentioned, the experience is where it's at, and from what I've heard, this company (employees and management) overall has a great attitude. I'm hoping I get to fly with them and am looking forward to the adventure!

Any chance they place FOs at the PR bases on the west coast? I guess it all depends on the need, eh?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by Lawn View Post
Yes. Obviously if you upgrade within 6 months after you get ATP minimums the clock will reset to a 12-month period. The other posters are correct...do not burn this bridge.
Not to contradict you at all, I am just trying to form a clear picture for myself as to what exactly is the company policy on this matter.

There was a guy on another forum, the JC forum to be exact, He/She seemed to have great knowledge on the company & went into great detail on how this policy worked internally. It was something like this & this is his words not mine...

"If someone comes in as Capt, then you sign a 12 mo contract, if you come as FO, then sign a 12 mo contract after the upgrade to CA.
If you ever leave before that period, even if you never upgraded, even if they never paid for your ATP, basically, if you ever leave before serving the 12 month term as a Capt, they will MARK as "NOT Eligible for Re-hire"

He clearly said, if someone was coming here with the intent of just to reach 1500 & leave then it is not worth it to get that Black Spot on your record..

Again these were his views, not mine..

I have tried my level best to find that thread on JC, so I could contact that poster.

Now, I know many airlines may not care about "Not eligible for Rehire" thing, but I know are a few who do care..
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by bcpilot View Post

He clearly said, if someone was coming here with the intent of just to reach 1500 & leave then it is not worth it to get that Black Spot on your record..
Would this show up in PRIA or somewhere else? From what I thought, most companies will only give out the dates of employment and position held when contacted, at least in a non-aviation setting. I'm a bit unclear on this and curious even though it may not affect me.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by rudiMENTAL View Post
Would this show up in PRIA or somewhere else? From what I thought, most companies will only give out the dates of employment and position held when contacted, at least in a non-aviation setting. I'm a bit unclear on this and curious even though it may not affect me.
Pria is all about training events- this has only to do with the inability to return to Cape air in the future. When you leave, you fall under 2 catagories- Avail for rehire or unavail for rehire- or something to that effect. While I wouldnt burn a bridge, some opportunities cannot be overlooked.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 1Durrty5

Originally Posted by Amanda:1429870
Any chance they place FOs at the PR bases on the west coast? I guess it all depends on the need, eh?
I know there are FOs based in SJU, however, I'm not sure about MAZ. All FOs bid with their relative seniority on a system bid, so if the company decides to keep FOs down there you certainly have a shot if your seniority allows for it.

My suggestion is if you want to fly in the Caribbean go as a captain, its pretty junior year round so you could hold it, plus you'll have a little more disposable income to enjoy what the region has to offer on your days off.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Line Holder

My suggestion is if you want to fly in the Caribbean go as a captain, its pretty junior year round so you could hold it, plus you'll have a little more disposable income to enjoy what the region has to offer on your days off.
Would I be able to go in as 402 PIC (mail/freight), not necessarily Captain (they have the mins listed separately)? I'd like to apply before the end of the year, and I should be close to those mins by then.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Would I be able to go in as 402 PIC (mail/freight), not necessarily Captain (they have the mins listed separately)? I'd like to apply before the end of the year, and I should be close to those mins by then.
Itll make yur atp checkride easier but the mail is no picnic.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot View Post
Itll make yur atp checkride easier but the mail is no picnic.
Why is that (about the mail being no picnic)?

Last edited by Amanda; 06-19-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Clarification